Orange urine in a dog.

Breed: Chihuahua/rat terrie
I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He weighs just over 5 pounds. I have a tendency to acquire older dogs. The entire time I have had him, he has had dark orange urine. The vet has given him a clean bill of health when we have gone. I came home from work this afternoon to find out his abdomen is very tender and appears to be enlarged in the liver area. He is very cranky and runs a low-grade fever. As a human medical professional, I have suspected kidney problems for a while, but now I wonder if this is more symptoms of liver failure. Can you please advise me on how to proceed?

This definitely sounds serious. It sounds like Moe needs to have some blood tests done to determine what the issue may be. Dark orange urine can definitely mean that there is an increase of bilirubin (bile pigment) in his system.

Liver disease can be tough to pinpoint in dogs. The first place to start is to have bloodwork done and the vet may have to do an ultrasound as well.

I really hope everything is ok.

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (11104 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (22610 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (13817 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (18847 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (39427 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (15649 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (10980 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (40968 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (39127 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (90340 views)