Orange urine in a dog.

Breed: Chihuahua/rat terrie
I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He weighs just over 5 pounds. I have a tendency to acquire older dogs. The entire time I have had him, he has had dark orange urine. The vet has given him a clean bill of health when we have gone. I came home from work this afternoon to find out his abdomen is very tender and appears to be enlarged in the liver area. He is very cranky and runs a low-grade fever. As a human medical professional, I have suspected kidney problems for a while, but now I wonder if this is more symptoms of liver failure. Can you please advise me on how to proceed?

This definitely sounds serious. It sounds like Moe needs to have some blood tests done to determine what the issue may be. Dark orange urine can definitely mean that there is an increase of bilirubin (bile pigment) in his system.

Liver disease can be tough to pinpoint in dogs. The first place to start is to have bloodwork done and the vet may have to do an ultrasound as well.

I really hope everything is ok.

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5152 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (6694 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (5982 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (24654 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (7008 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8645 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (6988 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (16419 views)

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (7822 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26256 views)