Orange urine in a dog.

Breed: Chihuahua/rat terrie
I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He weighs just over 5 pounds. I have a tendency to acquire older dogs. The entire time I have had him, he has had dark orange urine. The vet has given him a clean bill of health when we have gone. I came home from work this afternoon to find out his abdomen is very tender and appears to be enlarged in the liver area. He is very cranky and runs a low-grade fever. As a human medical professional, I have suspected kidney problems for a while, but now I wonder if this is more symptoms of liver failure. Can you please advise me on how to proceed?

This definitely sounds serious. It sounds like Moe needs to have some blood tests done to determine what the issue may be. Dark orange urine can definitely mean that there is an increase of bilirubin (bile pigment) in his system.

Liver disease can be tough to pinpoint in dogs. The first place to start is to have bloodwork done and the vet may have to do an ultrasound as well.

I really hope everything is ok.

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (30421 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (82866 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (23472 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (10747 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (17053 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (8218 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (22255 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (8732 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (29315 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (12996 views)