Orange urine in a dog.

Breed: Chihuahua/rat terrie
I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He weighs just over 5 pounds. I have a tendency to acquire older dogs. The entire time I have had him, he has had dark orange urine. The vet has given him a clean bill of health when we have gone. I came home from work this afternoon to find out his abdomen is very tender and appears to be enlarged in the liver area. He is very cranky and runs a low-grade fever. As a human medical professional, I have suspected kidney problems for a while, but now I wonder if this is more symptoms of liver failure. Can you please advise me on how to proceed?

This definitely sounds serious. It sounds like Moe needs to have some blood tests done to determine what the issue may be. Dark orange urine can definitely mean that there is an increase of bilirubin (bile pigment) in his system.

Liver disease can be tough to pinpoint in dogs. The first place to start is to have bloodwork done and the vet may have to do an ultrasound as well.

I really hope everything is ok.

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (5377 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (17758 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (8348 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (17594 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (5347 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (181590 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (17097 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (15560 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5982 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (4989 views)