Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Drinking and urinating more.

Species: Dog
Breed: part Rodesian Ridgeb
Age: 5-8 years
Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and he was aged by a vet at the time 3 years old. We adopted him then. He got a dry nose, was laying around, drinking a lot of water, but still eating but not in the morning like normal. A week later he got up ate in the morning, was feeling better, nose wet and we thought things were okay. His nose is still wet, but drinks about 1/2 gallon to a gallon of water a day. Urine is clear. He's a tad lethargic, but still goes for walks but tires faster. He also has bad hips since we adopted him. We're a little concerned that he is still laying around, drinking a lot of water and although eats all his food, it takes him a long time over the day and evening to eat all of it. If we hand feed him the food he will eat it also and he likes his Glucosamine Chondroitin treats still. Oh yes and we had started giving him these treats four months ago for his hips. Could it be the Glucosamin Chondroitin treats. We started a new treat (1000 mg Glucosamine with 600 mg Chondroitin) three weeks ago before all these symptoms showed up. Also in case this matters too. We have lived in the country prior to the last months and he is used to drinking out of streams. When the snow melted he started drinking the run off two weeks before all of this. We can't figure it out! It's not normal for him to urinate so much, drink so much water, not eat all of his food by 3:00PM or not have the energy to run and trot for a couple of miles.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm sorry to hear that Boogie is having problems. What you have described as his symptoms do have me concerned. The majority of the time, when a dog is drinking and urinating more there is a medical reason for it. The fact that his appetite is less voracious and that he is quieter than usual has me concerned as well.

I think that it is unlikely that the treats are the problem, although it's not a bad idea to discontinue them for now. There have been some odd issues with dogs getting mysterious illnesses after eating chicken jerky treats but I have not heard of the same issue with any other type of treat.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms that you have mentioned. The fact that Boogie likes to drink out of streams makes me wonder if he could have picked up leptospirosis. This is a condition that can cause serious kidney problems. It comes from the urine of racoons and other wildlife. Leptospirosis is very serious but can be treated.

It is also possible that there is something else affecting his kidneys. It could be because of a toxin or even an infection.

Another possible reason for him to be more thirsty than usual is diabetes. Most dogs with diabetes have an increase in appetite though. However, if they are really sick then the appetite can decrease.

Cushing's disease can cause an increase in thirst and urination but almost always causes a large increase in appetite so this is less likely.

Unfortunately there are certain types of cancers that can cause these symptoms as well.

I would highly recommend a vet visit as soon as possible. The vet will want to do a urinalysis and also some blood tests to see if this is indeed a kidney problem, diabetes, or something else. Many of the possible problems are quite treatable, but will be easier to treat the sooner they are dealt with.

Hopefully you can have him seen soon!

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thank you Dr. Marie. I already got the appointment for this afternoon.
Tracy


Customer reply:

Dr Marie,
I wanted to let you know that Boogie had diabetes and although with much money and two shots a day of insulin for the rest of his life we could have saved him, we decided to euthanize him. Thank you so much for your assistance.
Tracy


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. You are correct that diabetes is treatable, but can be very expensive, especially for a large dog and also takes a huge time commitment. Euthanasia is always a valid option that I give when I have diagnosed diabetes.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (18683 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (9382 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (5756 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7124 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (9418 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then... (8676 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (11439 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (17822 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (11527 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (13378 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.