Can't move back legs.

Breed: Mix
Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need help please.

Hi Nancy and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Sam is not doing well!

I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

Can you please have a feel of his feet for me...can you tell if the back feet feel colder than the front?
How is his appetite?
How long has he had this problem?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Back feet are definitely cold. No appetite. Just happened this morning.

OK...thanks for that information.

These symptoms have me concerned. Unfortunately there is a high possibility that your cat has something called aortoiliac thrombosis (saddle thrombus). This condition is not very common but is quite serious when it happens.

What happens with this condition is that a blood clot lodges in the aorta where it branches out to the back legs. This means that the circulation to the back legs is almost completely cut off.

While there are many treatments that we try for this disease it is very rare that an animal survives more than a few weeks even with treatment. Unfortunately usually cats get this condition because there is a serious underlying heart problem. Often the heart disease shows absolutely no symptoms until the blood clot forms.

I would highly advise that you have Sam see a vet today to confirm whether this is truly what is going on. Your vet will give you some options. However, you may need to prepare yourself for euthanasia.

There is absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent this condition. I am so sorry for the bad news.

Oh, that doesn't sound good. Is there anything I can give him now for the pain?

I wish I could recommend medication for pain. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is considered safe to give to cats for pain. He really does need to see a vet immediately.

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (17516 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (48456 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (7328 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (7207 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (11754 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (11329 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7630 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10215 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (31372 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19473 views)