Can't move back legs.

Breed: Mix
Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need help please.

Hi Nancy and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Sam is not doing well!

I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

Can you please have a feel of his feet for me...can you tell if the back feet feel colder than the front?
How is his appetite?
How long has he had this problem?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Back feet are definitely cold. No appetite. Just happened this morning.

OK...thanks for that information.

These symptoms have me concerned. Unfortunately there is a high possibility that your cat has something called aortoiliac thrombosis (saddle thrombus). This condition is not very common but is quite serious when it happens.

What happens with this condition is that a blood clot lodges in the aorta where it branches out to the back legs. This means that the circulation to the back legs is almost completely cut off.

While there are many treatments that we try for this disease it is very rare that an animal survives more than a few weeks even with treatment. Unfortunately usually cats get this condition because there is a serious underlying heart problem. Often the heart disease shows absolutely no symptoms until the blood clot forms.

I would highly advise that you have Sam see a vet today to confirm whether this is truly what is going on. Your vet will give you some options. However, you may need to prepare yourself for euthanasia.

There is absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent this condition. I am so sorry for the bad news.

Oh, that doesn't sound good. Is there anything I can give him now for the pain?

I wish I could recommend medication for pain. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is considered safe to give to cats for pain. He really does need to see a vet immediately.

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (12043 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (51824 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (27273 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (42295 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (34284 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (118145 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (8788 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (16908 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (9768 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (12644 views)