Can't move back legs.

Breed: Mix
Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need help please.

Hi Nancy and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Sam is not doing well!

I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

Can you please have a feel of his feet for me...can you tell if the back feet feel colder than the front?
How is his appetite?
How long has he had this problem?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Back feet are definitely cold. No appetite. Just happened this morning.

OK...thanks for that information.

These symptoms have me concerned. Unfortunately there is a high possibility that your cat has something called aortoiliac thrombosis (saddle thrombus). This condition is not very common but is quite serious when it happens.

What happens with this condition is that a blood clot lodges in the aorta where it branches out to the back legs. This means that the circulation to the back legs is almost completely cut off.

While there are many treatments that we try for this disease it is very rare that an animal survives more than a few weeks even with treatment. Unfortunately usually cats get this condition because there is a serious underlying heart problem. Often the heart disease shows absolutely no symptoms until the blood clot forms.

I would highly advise that you have Sam see a vet today to confirm whether this is truly what is going on. Your vet will give you some options. However, you may need to prepare yourself for euthanasia.

There is absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent this condition. I am so sorry for the bad news.

Oh, that doesn't sound good. Is there anything I can give him now for the pain?

I wish I could recommend medication for pain. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is considered safe to give to cats for pain. He really does need to see a vet immediately.

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (11498 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (12159 views)

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (28155 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (13012 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (33378 views)

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (8443 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (100936 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (5539 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (46435 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (11579 views)