Can't move back legs.

Breed: Mix
Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need help please.

Hi Nancy and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Sam is not doing well!

I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

Can you please have a feel of his feet for me...can you tell if the back feet feel colder than the front?
How is his appetite?
How long has he had this problem?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Back feet are definitely cold. No appetite. Just happened this morning.

OK...thanks for that information.

These symptoms have me concerned. Unfortunately there is a high possibility that your cat has something called aortoiliac thrombosis (saddle thrombus). This condition is not very common but is quite serious when it happens.

What happens with this condition is that a blood clot lodges in the aorta where it branches out to the back legs. This means that the circulation to the back legs is almost completely cut off.

While there are many treatments that we try for this disease it is very rare that an animal survives more than a few weeks even with treatment. Unfortunately usually cats get this condition because there is a serious underlying heart problem. Often the heart disease shows absolutely no symptoms until the blood clot forms.

I would highly advise that you have Sam see a vet today to confirm whether this is truly what is going on. Your vet will give you some options. However, you may need to prepare yourself for euthanasia.

There is absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent this condition. I am so sorry for the bad news.

Oh, that doesn't sound good. Is there anything I can give him now for the pain?

I wish I could recommend medication for pain. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is considered safe to give to cats for pain. He really does need to see a vet immediately.

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (8839 views)

Kittens have tapeworm. Hello, About 4-5 weeks ago I adopted 2 12 week old kittens. They are littermates... (33789 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (7709 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (9762 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (5874 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (15626 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (10422 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (29445 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (15278 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6299 views)