Dasuquin causing allergies.

Breed: Labrador
About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet & the ligament in his knee was likely injured (not bad enough for surgery). He was put on meds for pain/inflammation for a little while. After not getting much better, I put him on Dasuquin - which worked very well. He got so much better, he looked almost normal again. BUT, he also started itching and getting sores. Long story short, when I withdrew the supplement, his sores and itching went away. I waited awhile, started Dasuquin again, & the itching came back.

I researched a little & came across GlycanAid, which isn't from a fish source (I was thinking maybe he was allergic to that). I started him on that, and after a week or so, the itching/sores came back.

My problem is that the joint supplements help him so much, but I can't figure out what ingredient he is allergic to. And now his leg is getting worse without being on anything.

Do you have any ideas what ingredient may be causing the itching?? Or do you have any suggestions on joint supplements I can try??

Thank you....

Thanks for your question.

It definitely is possible for a dog to be allergic to joint supplements. While Dasuquin is a very good product I do believe that it is flavored with beef. It may be possible that Scooter has a beef allergy that is aggravated by this treat. Fish

The GlycanAid is flavored with natural pork and chicken and either of those could potentially be allergens as well.

If you are able to find a good quality supplement that is not naturally flavored you may have better luck. But I'm not sure if there is one that doesn't have natural flavoring. Cosequin is another good alternative but it does contain beef, fish and chicken.

Something that would probably work well would be to ask your vet about getting injections of Adequan or Cartrophen. These are often given once a week for 4 weeks and then just once a month. They work in a very similar way to Dasuquin but would not be as likely to cause allergies.

There are other options for medications as well such as a nonsteroidal medication like Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc. which you could talk to your vet about.

Hope things look up soon!

Thank you...
I was just thinking, is human joint supplements ok for dogs? I was able to find vegetarian types of joint supplements. I know I would have to adjust the dose.

The problem with giving human supplements to dogs is that no one really knows the dosage or the safety.

It's hard to say whether these supplements could work well or not. But, it may be worthwhile to talk to your vet about them and see if they can recommend a dose to try. It seems that Scooter has a noticeable difference when on a good medication so you hopefully would be able to see if it is working.

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (13752 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (9250 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (49910 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18056 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8064 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (60736 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (18172 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (34894 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (30972 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (6683 views)