Dasuquin causing allergies.

Breed: Labrador
About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet & the ligament in his knee was likely injured (not bad enough for surgery). He was put on meds for pain/inflammation for a little while. After not getting much better, I put him on Dasuquin - which worked very well. He got so much better, he looked almost normal again. BUT, he also started itching and getting sores. Long story short, when I withdrew the supplement, his sores and itching went away. I waited awhile, started Dasuquin again, & the itching came back.

I researched a little & came across GlycanAid, which isn't from a fish source (I was thinking maybe he was allergic to that). I started him on that, and after a week or so, the itching/sores came back.

My problem is that the joint supplements help him so much, but I can't figure out what ingredient he is allergic to. And now his leg is getting worse without being on anything.

Do you have any ideas what ingredient may be causing the itching?? Or do you have any suggestions on joint supplements I can try??

Thank you....

Thanks for your question.

It definitely is possible for a dog to be allergic to joint supplements. While Dasuquin is a very good product I do believe that it is flavored with beef. It may be possible that Scooter has a beef allergy that is aggravated by this treat. Fish

The GlycanAid is flavored with natural pork and chicken and either of those could potentially be allergens as well.

If you are able to find a good quality supplement that is not naturally flavored you may have better luck. But I'm not sure if there is one that doesn't have natural flavoring. Cosequin is another good alternative but it does contain beef, fish and chicken.

Something that would probably work well would be to ask your vet about getting injections of Adequan or Cartrophen. These are often given once a week for 4 weeks and then just once a month. They work in a very similar way to Dasuquin but would not be as likely to cause allergies.

There are other options for medications as well such as a nonsteroidal medication like Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc. which you could talk to your vet about.

Hope things look up soon!

Thank you...
I was just thinking, is human joint supplements ok for dogs? I was able to find vegetarian types of joint supplements. I know I would have to adjust the dose.

The problem with giving human supplements to dogs is that no one really knows the dosage or the safety.

It's hard to say whether these supplements could work well or not. But, it may be worthwhile to talk to your vet about them and see if they can recommend a dose to try. It seems that Scooter has a noticeable difference when on a good medication so you hopefully would be able to see if it is working.

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (4469 views)

Vomiting and balance issues. my dog is losing her equalibreum and was throwing up yellow stomach bile.her poop is... (22016 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (11367 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (6559 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (44938 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4509 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (9896 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (9883 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (12174 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (26220 views)