Dasuquin causing allergies.

Breed: Labrador
About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet & the ligament in his knee was likely injured (not bad enough for surgery). He was put on meds for pain/inflammation for a little while. After not getting much better, I put him on Dasuquin - which worked very well. He got so much better, he looked almost normal again. BUT, he also started itching and getting sores. Long story short, when I withdrew the supplement, his sores and itching went away. I waited awhile, started Dasuquin again, & the itching came back.

I researched a little & came across GlycanAid, which isn't from a fish source (I was thinking maybe he was allergic to that). I started him on that, and after a week or so, the itching/sores came back.

My problem is that the joint supplements help him so much, but I can't figure out what ingredient he is allergic to. And now his leg is getting worse without being on anything.

Do you have any ideas what ingredient may be causing the itching?? Or do you have any suggestions on joint supplements I can try??

Thank you....

Thanks for your question.

It definitely is possible for a dog to be allergic to joint supplements. While Dasuquin is a very good product I do believe that it is flavored with beef. It may be possible that Scooter has a beef allergy that is aggravated by this treat. Fish

The GlycanAid is flavored with natural pork and chicken and either of those could potentially be allergens as well.

If you are able to find a good quality supplement that is not naturally flavored you may have better luck. But I'm not sure if there is one that doesn't have natural flavoring. Cosequin is another good alternative but it does contain beef, fish and chicken.

Something that would probably work well would be to ask your vet about getting injections of Adequan or Cartrophen. These are often given once a week for 4 weeks and then just once a month. They work in a very similar way to Dasuquin but would not be as likely to cause allergies.

There are other options for medications as well such as a nonsteroidal medication like Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc. which you could talk to your vet about.

Hope things look up soon!

Thank you...
I was just thinking, is human joint supplements ok for dogs? I was able to find vegetarian types of joint supplements. I know I would have to adjust the dose.

The problem with giving human supplements to dogs is that no one really knows the dosage or the safety.

It's hard to say whether these supplements could work well or not. But, it may be worthwhile to talk to your vet about them and see if they can recommend a dose to try. It seems that Scooter has a noticeable difference when on a good medication so you hopefully would be able to see if it is working.

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (19702 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (28395 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7890 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (11497 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6639 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (11960 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (8191 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (21329 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9727 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (6937 views)