Dasuquin causing allergies.

Breed: Labrador
About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet & the ligament in his knee was likely injured (not bad enough for surgery). He was put on meds for pain/inflammation for a little while. After not getting much better, I put him on Dasuquin - which worked very well. He got so much better, he looked almost normal again. BUT, he also started itching and getting sores. Long story short, when I withdrew the supplement, his sores and itching went away. I waited awhile, started Dasuquin again, & the itching came back.

I researched a little & came across GlycanAid, which isn't from a fish source (I was thinking maybe he was allergic to that). I started him on that, and after a week or so, the itching/sores came back.

My problem is that the joint supplements help him so much, but I can't figure out what ingredient he is allergic to. And now his leg is getting worse without being on anything.

Do you have any ideas what ingredient may be causing the itching?? Or do you have any suggestions on joint supplements I can try??

Thank you....

Thanks for your question.

It definitely is possible for a dog to be allergic to joint supplements. While Dasuquin is a very good product I do believe that it is flavored with beef. It may be possible that Scooter has a beef allergy that is aggravated by this treat. Fish

The GlycanAid is flavored with natural pork and chicken and either of those could potentially be allergens as well.

If you are able to find a good quality supplement that is not naturally flavored you may have better luck. But I'm not sure if there is one that doesn't have natural flavoring. Cosequin is another good alternative but it does contain beef, fish and chicken.

Something that would probably work well would be to ask your vet about getting injections of Adequan or Cartrophen. These are often given once a week for 4 weeks and then just once a month. They work in a very similar way to Dasuquin but would not be as likely to cause allergies.

There are other options for medications as well such as a nonsteroidal medication like Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc. which you could talk to your vet about.

Hope things look up soon!

Thank you...
I was just thinking, is human joint supplements ok for dogs? I was able to find vegetarian types of joint supplements. I know I would have to adjust the dose.

The problem with giving human supplements to dogs is that no one really knows the dosage or the safety.

It's hard to say whether these supplements could work well or not. But, it may be worthwhile to talk to your vet about them and see if they can recommend a dose to try. It seems that Scooter has a noticeable difference when on a good medication so you hopefully would be able to see if it is working.

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (13352 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (16843 views)

Peeing orange and losing weight. I have a village dog, I think he is dying, I don't know what to do. I always feed... (20626 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (10069 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (10569 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (33300 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (10790 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (21610 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (7512 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (10528 views)