Spot in cat's eye.

Breed: Feline

About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was given a brief eye exam. The left eye in the lower left hand corner has a spot. The spot is a brown discoloration about a millimeter. The vet said it could have been a birth defect but it got a little bigger. Since then he has an injury on the left hind leg on the outer side. He is a black and white cat. Some of fur looks to have been bitten off or fallen off. When standing his foot turns out at an angel and he has slight limp. There is some sort of scab on it. It is sensitive to the touch as well. Also, in the past 2 years he has drank a lot of water excessively. He wont drink out of his cat bowel unless absolutely necessary. When we use the restroom, he cries until we turn on the faucet for him to drink. He laps the water up for at least for 1-2 minutes. It’s like he is dying of thirst.I was hopping you could guide my husband and I on what to do with our cat.
Our other cat is an older male and not experiencing any of these problems.

Hi Jennifer...sorry to hear that Baxter is having some problems.

Regarding the eye, we will commonly see spots in the eye that are nothing to worry about. Some animals get something called an iris freckle. Another possibility is an iris cyst that looks like a black bubble suspended in the fluid of the eye. While we can see tumors in the eye they are usually very fuzzy and inflamed.

I am fairly concerned about the other symptoms you mentioned. It sounds like Baxter may have an infection in his leg. Does he go outside? If so it is possible that he has been bitten by another cat. If he has an infection it will not get better unless he goes on antibiotics that need to be prescribed by your vet.

Regarding the thirst, if there is an increase in thirst this can be a sign of something serious such as diabetes or kidney disease.

It's hard to tie the increased thirst in with the leg problem. However, if he has diabetes then he will be more prone to getting an infection.

It really does sound like a vet visit is necessary. Your vet will look at the wound and decide whether it needs antibiotics or if it is a more serious injury. They will likely also want to do some blood and/or urine tests as well.

I hope he is ok!

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (15437 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (13132 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (12807 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (7791 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (10226 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (8427 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (11987 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (19515 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (10000 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (21350 views)