Spot in cat's eye.

Breed: Feline

About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was given a brief eye exam. The left eye in the lower left hand corner has a spot. The spot is a brown discoloration about a millimeter. The vet said it could have been a birth defect but it got a little bigger. Since then he has an injury on the left hind leg on the outer side. He is a black and white cat. Some of fur looks to have been bitten off or fallen off. When standing his foot turns out at an angel and he has slight limp. There is some sort of scab on it. It is sensitive to the touch as well. Also, in the past 2 years he has drank a lot of water excessively. He wont drink out of his cat bowel unless absolutely necessary. When we use the restroom, he cries until we turn on the faucet for him to drink. He laps the water up for at least for 1-2 minutes. It’s like he is dying of thirst.I was hopping you could guide my husband and I on what to do with our cat.
Our other cat is an older male and not experiencing any of these problems.

Hi Jennifer...sorry to hear that Baxter is having some problems.

Regarding the eye, we will commonly see spots in the eye that are nothing to worry about. Some animals get something called an iris freckle. Another possibility is an iris cyst that looks like a black bubble suspended in the fluid of the eye. While we can see tumors in the eye they are usually very fuzzy and inflamed.

I am fairly concerned about the other symptoms you mentioned. It sounds like Baxter may have an infection in his leg. Does he go outside? If so it is possible that he has been bitten by another cat. If he has an infection it will not get better unless he goes on antibiotics that need to be prescribed by your vet.

Regarding the thirst, if there is an increase in thirst this can be a sign of something serious such as diabetes or kidney disease.

It's hard to tie the increased thirst in with the leg problem. However, if he has diabetes then he will be more prone to getting an infection.

It really does sound like a vet visit is necessary. Your vet will look at the wound and decide whether it needs antibiotics or if it is a more serious injury. They will likely also want to do some blood and/or urine tests as well.

I hope he is ok!

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (11511 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (9227 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7659 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12953 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (10016 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (5568 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (10080 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (16167 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (6141 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (11049 views)