Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate M&M's.

Species: Dog
Breed: Dachsund
Age: 2-5 years
My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!




Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

The amount of chocolate in a package of m&m's is actually very little. Most of this is sugar.

According to my research a regular sized bag of m&m's contains 1.69 oz. Now, not all of this is chocolate, but let's assume it is.

According to my chocolate toxicity calculator, if a 20 lb dog eats 1.69 oz of milk chocolate there is no expected risk of toxicity.

You might notice some mild stomach upset because of the sugar.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (15848 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (10489 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (24021 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (15617 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (19547 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (13070 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (17321 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (13174 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (38513 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (10137 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.