Arthritis in a Newfie.

Breed: Mixed Newfie
My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes lethargic, although he will get up and run with the other pups and go for his kong.
He is also a little distant and not as interactive.
I am thinking arthritis is coming on. He just had a clean bill of health in his check up and is at an ideal weight for a dog his size. What do yout think? Am taking him to vet tomorrow.

I love Newfies, but they certainly can get arthritis as they get older.

Your vet will do a good thorough exam and hopefully be able to determine if there are any likely joint problems. They will likely extend the hips and see if there is any pain and also feel the stifles (knees) and elbows. Ideally, to determine if there is arthritis, some xrays would be a good idea.

Any time I have a ten year old dog that is not eating well I recommend doing blood work. It is also possible that there is something else going on such as a problem with the liver or kidneys.

If the bloodwork is normal then your vet will likely talk to you about an arthritis medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl, or Deramaxx.

Sometimes a glucosamine supplement such as Cosequin is helpful as well. But, I do find that glucosamine doesn't work as well as the anti-inflammatories. Often it is good to give it along with the other medications.

I hope all is well!

Related: Can you give a dog Advil?

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (6881 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (6672 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (10537 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (36631 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (7210 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (30161 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (3604 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (8712 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (13364 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (88947 views)