Arthritis in a Newfie.

Breed: Mixed Newfie
My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes lethargic, although he will get up and run with the other pups and go for his kong.
He is also a little distant and not as interactive.
I am thinking arthritis is coming on. He just had a clean bill of health in his check up and is at an ideal weight for a dog his size. What do yout think? Am taking him to vet tomorrow.

I love Newfies, but they certainly can get arthritis as they get older.

Your vet will do a good thorough exam and hopefully be able to determine if there are any likely joint problems. They will likely extend the hips and see if there is any pain and also feel the stifles (knees) and elbows. Ideally, to determine if there is arthritis, some xrays would be a good idea.

Any time I have a ten year old dog that is not eating well I recommend doing blood work. It is also possible that there is something else going on such as a problem with the liver or kidneys.

If the bloodwork is normal then your vet will likely talk to you about an arthritis medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl, or Deramaxx.

Sometimes a glucosamine supplement such as Cosequin is helpful as well. But, I do find that glucosamine doesn't work as well as the anti-inflammatories. Often it is good to give it along with the other medications.

I hope all is well!

Related: Can you give a dog Advil?

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (14442 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (3492 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (3327 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (10766 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (6793 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (5202 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (9418 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (29758 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (9409 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (5809 views)