Arthritis in a Newfie.

Breed: Mixed Newfie
My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes lethargic, although he will get up and run with the other pups and go for his kong.
He is also a little distant and not as interactive.
I am thinking arthritis is coming on. He just had a clean bill of health in his check up and is at an ideal weight for a dog his size. What do yout think? Am taking him to vet tomorrow.

I love Newfies, but they certainly can get arthritis as they get older.

Your vet will do a good thorough exam and hopefully be able to determine if there are any likely joint problems. They will likely extend the hips and see if there is any pain and also feel the stifles (knees) and elbows. Ideally, to determine if there is arthritis, some xrays would be a good idea.

Any time I have a ten year old dog that is not eating well I recommend doing blood work. It is also possible that there is something else going on such as a problem with the liver or kidneys.

If the bloodwork is normal then your vet will likely talk to you about an arthritis medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl, or Deramaxx.

Sometimes a glucosamine supplement such as Cosequin is helpful as well. But, I do find that glucosamine doesn't work as well as the anti-inflammatories. Often it is good to give it along with the other medications.

I hope all is well!

Related: Can you give a dog Advil?

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (41886 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (7002 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (6147 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (15039 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (21957 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (15680 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (7849 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (7238 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (10149 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (6558 views)