Arthritis in a Newfie.

Breed: Mixed Newfie
My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes lethargic, although he will get up and run with the other pups and go for his kong.
He is also a little distant and not as interactive.
I am thinking arthritis is coming on. He just had a clean bill of health in his check up and is at an ideal weight for a dog his size. What do yout think? Am taking him to vet tomorrow.

I love Newfies, but they certainly can get arthritis as they get older.

Your vet will do a good thorough exam and hopefully be able to determine if there are any likely joint problems. They will likely extend the hips and see if there is any pain and also feel the stifles (knees) and elbows. Ideally, to determine if there is arthritis, some xrays would be a good idea.

Any time I have a ten year old dog that is not eating well I recommend doing blood work. It is also possible that there is something else going on such as a problem with the liver or kidneys.

If the bloodwork is normal then your vet will likely talk to you about an arthritis medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl, or Deramaxx.

Sometimes a glucosamine supplement such as Cosequin is helpful as well. But, I do find that glucosamine doesn't work as well as the anti-inflammatories. Often it is good to give it along with the other medications.

I hope all is well!

Related: Can you give a dog Advil?

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (30668 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (13096 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (6746 views)

Dwarf hamsters fighting. HI DOC. , I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY... (13647 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (17666 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7400 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11037 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (17345 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (7624 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (10348 views)