Cat is shedding a lot.

Breed: abysinian
I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I brush her, much more than in the past. She is currently taking Pretnisome , for allergy, and Flovent , for asthma. I find it on my clothing and on the furniture, which is something I hadn't had in the past. Is this something I should worry about or is there a season in which this is a normal thing to happen?

I can think of a few possible reasons for Abby to be losing her hair.

My first guess is that this is connected to her allergies. Even if she is not itchy on her skin, allergic skin is much more likely to lose hair.

It's also possible that the prednisone is causing her to shed more than usual.

I do see some cats that shed more when the seasons change, so this is possible as well.

If the hair loss is predominantly on her back over the base of her tail then fleas are a very real possibility even if you are not seeing fleas at all.

If she has any red lesions or spots at all then I'd recommend having your vet look at her. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (32130 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (19393 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (12346 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (34491 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (14195 views)

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (11432 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (7581 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (39590 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9097 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (9758 views)