Cat is shedding a lot.

Breed: abysinian
I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I brush her, much more than in the past. She is currently taking Pretnisome , for allergy, and Flovent , for asthma. I find it on my clothing and on the furniture, which is something I hadn't had in the past. Is this something I should worry about or is there a season in which this is a normal thing to happen?

I can think of a few possible reasons for Abby to be losing her hair.

My first guess is that this is connected to her allergies. Even if she is not itchy on her skin, allergic skin is much more likely to lose hair.

It's also possible that the prednisone is causing her to shed more than usual.

I do see some cats that shed more when the seasons change, so this is possible as well.

If the hair loss is predominantly on her back over the base of her tail then fleas are a very real possibility even if you are not seeing fleas at all.

If she has any red lesions or spots at all then I'd recommend having your vet look at her. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned.

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7601 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7115 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13218 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14219 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (52661 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8026 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (17299 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4866 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (181636 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (4776 views)