Trouble with back legs.

Breed: american short hair
I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs. Something happened about one month ago that made her start to walk strangely only in the rear leg(s). It's not very pronounced but I think it's only in one leg. She does not seem to be in any bad pain, if anything she seems slightly bothered by something. Eats and goes to the bathroom okay. But when she gets up on things like the sofa she claws/climbs her way up, she normally would just jump up. And she uses mostly her front claws to grab her way up. Which makes me think she had some kind of accident and it wasn't an onset of something. There was and is no visible damage to her at all. I clip her front claws when they get hung up and haven't because it seems to be her only way to get up anywhere. Also she will sit funny, abnormally for a cat. She will sit human like, directly on her butt. From all the cats I have had I never saw one sit directly on their butt. When she sits, like when you tell a dog to sit, she'll plant her butt and then backup her front feet a few steps to get into this 'weird for a cat sitting position'. So I don't know if it's something I should go to a vet that can be fixed or if it's just age or accident related.

It definitely sounds like she is uncomfortable, and possibly even painful in her hind end.

There are lots of different possibilities for these symptoms. It could be arthritis pain, or it could be an injury such as a hip or pelvis fracture. It's amazing how cats can get around even though they have a serious injury.

Sometimes if cats have a heart condition it can affect their back legs although usually it is both back legs that are affected. This is a very serious condition.

It's also possible that she has developed a problem called polyneuropathy which causes weakness in the hind legs. This is usually due to diabetes but can be from other causes as well.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit as there may be things that we can do to help her feel more comfortable!

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (5235 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (19650 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (6496 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (27061 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (13398 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (7199 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (8626 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (13592 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (7544 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (242482 views)