Trouble with back legs.

Breed: american short hair
I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs. Something happened about one month ago that made her start to walk strangely only in the rear leg(s). It's not very pronounced but I think it's only in one leg. She does not seem to be in any bad pain, if anything she seems slightly bothered by something. Eats and goes to the bathroom okay. But when she gets up on things like the sofa she claws/climbs her way up, she normally would just jump up. And she uses mostly her front claws to grab her way up. Which makes me think she had some kind of accident and it wasn't an onset of something. There was and is no visible damage to her at all. I clip her front claws when they get hung up and haven't because it seems to be her only way to get up anywhere. Also she will sit funny, abnormally for a cat. She will sit human like, directly on her butt. From all the cats I have had I never saw one sit directly on their butt. When she sits, like when you tell a dog to sit, she'll plant her butt and then backup her front feet a few steps to get into this 'weird for a cat sitting position'. So I don't know if it's something I should go to a vet that can be fixed or if it's just age or accident related.

It definitely sounds like she is uncomfortable, and possibly even painful in her hind end.

There are lots of different possibilities for these symptoms. It could be arthritis pain, or it could be an injury such as a hip or pelvis fracture. It's amazing how cats can get around even though they have a serious injury.

Sometimes if cats have a heart condition it can affect their back legs although usually it is both back legs that are affected. This is a very serious condition.

It's also possible that she has developed a problem called polyneuropathy which causes weakness in the hind legs. This is usually due to diabetes but can be from other causes as well.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit as there may be things that we can do to help her feel more comfortable!

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (19832 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5497 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (16789 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (9874 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (8353 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (14192 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (20540 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5380 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (8474 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (33362 views)