Trouble with back legs.

Breed: american short hair
I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs. Something happened about one month ago that made her start to walk strangely only in the rear leg(s). It's not very pronounced but I think it's only in one leg. She does not seem to be in any bad pain, if anything she seems slightly bothered by something. Eats and goes to the bathroom okay. But when she gets up on things like the sofa she claws/climbs her way up, she normally would just jump up. And she uses mostly her front claws to grab her way up. Which makes me think she had some kind of accident and it wasn't an onset of something. There was and is no visible damage to her at all. I clip her front claws when they get hung up and haven't because it seems to be her only way to get up anywhere. Also she will sit funny, abnormally for a cat. She will sit human like, directly on her butt. From all the cats I have had I never saw one sit directly on their butt. When she sits, like when you tell a dog to sit, she'll plant her butt and then backup her front feet a few steps to get into this 'weird for a cat sitting position'. So I don't know if it's something I should go to a vet that can be fixed or if it's just age or accident related.

It definitely sounds like she is uncomfortable, and possibly even painful in her hind end.

There are lots of different possibilities for these symptoms. It could be arthritis pain, or it could be an injury such as a hip or pelvis fracture. It's amazing how cats can get around even though they have a serious injury.

Sometimes if cats have a heart condition it can affect their back legs although usually it is both back legs that are affected. This is a very serious condition.

It's also possible that she has developed a problem called polyneuropathy which causes weakness in the hind legs. This is usually due to diabetes but can be from other causes as well.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit as there may be things that we can do to help her feel more comfortable!

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (14870 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (12285 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (7343 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (20201 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (11975 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (7963 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (21757 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (8686 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (23913 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (25566 views)