Trouble with back legs.

Breed: american short hair
I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs. Something happened about one month ago that made her start to walk strangely only in the rear leg(s). It's not very pronounced but I think it's only in one leg. She does not seem to be in any bad pain, if anything she seems slightly bothered by something. Eats and goes to the bathroom okay. But when she gets up on things like the sofa she claws/climbs her way up, she normally would just jump up. And she uses mostly her front claws to grab her way up. Which makes me think she had some kind of accident and it wasn't an onset of something. There was and is no visible damage to her at all. I clip her front claws when they get hung up and haven't because it seems to be her only way to get up anywhere. Also she will sit funny, abnormally for a cat. She will sit human like, directly on her butt. From all the cats I have had I never saw one sit directly on their butt. When she sits, like when you tell a dog to sit, she'll plant her butt and then backup her front feet a few steps to get into this 'weird for a cat sitting position'. So I don't know if it's something I should go to a vet that can be fixed or if it's just age or accident related.

It definitely sounds like she is uncomfortable, and possibly even painful in her hind end.

There are lots of different possibilities for these symptoms. It could be arthritis pain, or it could be an injury such as a hip or pelvis fracture. It's amazing how cats can get around even though they have a serious injury.

Sometimes if cats have a heart condition it can affect their back legs although usually it is both back legs that are affected. This is a very serious condition.

It's also possible that she has developed a problem called polyneuropathy which causes weakness in the hind legs. This is usually due to diabetes but can be from other causes as well.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit as there may be things that we can do to help her feel more comfortable!

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (4722 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7608 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5189 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12682 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9862 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (10847 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (5281 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (18498 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (17643 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15556 views)