Can dogs get tetanus?

Breed: siberian husky
My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around without any problems, and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I cleaned her cuts as much as I could, but had a hard time getting a cut between her toes (is that what they're called?). The trap was very rusty. Do I have to worry about tetanus? There are no vets in Nunavut, otherwise I would bring her in to have her looked at. Thanks for your help!

Oh man, poor Tootoo!

It is rare for dogs to get tetanus. While it is, in theory possible, it is extremely uncommon. Dogs have a natural resistance to the bacteria Clostridium tetani which causes tetanus and lockjaw.

The biggest worry would be for infection. If this was my case I would definitely be prescribing antibiotics just to be sure.

If you don't have access to antibiotics then we need to do all we can to keep it clean. It would be great to do some epsom salt soaks three times a day. To do this you can either use a bucket, or fill up the bathtub with an inch or two of water and dissolve as much epsom salts as you can into it. Then, soak the foot for about 5 minutes three times daily.

And, if possible, keep the foot covered when she is outside. A good way to do this is to use a sock with some duct tape on the top to keep it on. If the sock gets wet then take it off, soak the foot again and replace the sock.

Hope she does ok!

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (13465 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (14364 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (8984 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8539 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (11954 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (10791 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12742 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (25862 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (10760 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (18678 views)