Can dogs get tetanus?

Breed: siberian husky
My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around without any problems, and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I cleaned her cuts as much as I could, but had a hard time getting a cut between her toes (is that what they're called?). The trap was very rusty. Do I have to worry about tetanus? There are no vets in Nunavut, otherwise I would bring her in to have her looked at. Thanks for your help!

Oh man, poor Tootoo!

It is rare for dogs to get tetanus. While it is, in theory possible, it is extremely uncommon. Dogs have a natural resistance to the bacteria Clostridium tetani which causes tetanus and lockjaw.

The biggest worry would be for infection. If this was my case I would definitely be prescribing antibiotics just to be sure.

If you don't have access to antibiotics then we need to do all we can to keep it clean. It would be great to do some epsom salt soaks three times a day. To do this you can either use a bucket, or fill up the bathtub with an inch or two of water and dissolve as much epsom salts as you can into it. Then, soak the foot for about 5 minutes three times daily.

And, if possible, keep the foot covered when she is outside. A good way to do this is to use a sock with some duct tape on the top to keep it on. If the sock gets wet then take it off, soak the foot again and replace the sock.

Hope she does ok!

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (40484 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (8129 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (9428 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (36275 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (12039 views)

Dog died after surgery. Last Monday our dog Ben began throwing up. He also stopped eating. It lessened on... (34346 views)

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (10484 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (6800 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (7247 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (9788 views)