Can dogs get tetanus?

Breed: siberian husky
My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around without any problems, and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I cleaned her cuts as much as I could, but had a hard time getting a cut between her toes (is that what they're called?). The trap was very rusty. Do I have to worry about tetanus? There are no vets in Nunavut, otherwise I would bring her in to have her looked at. Thanks for your help!

Oh man, poor Tootoo!

It is rare for dogs to get tetanus. While it is, in theory possible, it is extremely uncommon. Dogs have a natural resistance to the bacteria Clostridium tetani which causes tetanus and lockjaw.

The biggest worry would be for infection. If this was my case I would definitely be prescribing antibiotics just to be sure.

If you don't have access to antibiotics then we need to do all we can to keep it clean. It would be great to do some epsom salt soaks three times a day. To do this you can either use a bucket, or fill up the bathtub with an inch or two of water and dissolve as much epsom salts as you can into it. Then, soak the foot for about 5 minutes three times daily.

And, if possible, keep the foot covered when she is outside. A good way to do this is to use a sock with some duct tape on the top to keep it on. If the sock gets wet then take it off, soak the foot again and replace the sock.

Hope she does ok!

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (14379 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (186360 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12668 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (12048 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (5303 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10570 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (5020 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (12591 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (5488 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (42754 views)