Can dogs get tetanus?

Breed: siberian husky
My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around without any problems, and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I cleaned her cuts as much as I could, but had a hard time getting a cut between her toes (is that what they're called?). The trap was very rusty. Do I have to worry about tetanus? There are no vets in Nunavut, otherwise I would bring her in to have her looked at. Thanks for your help!

Oh man, poor Tootoo!

It is rare for dogs to get tetanus. While it is, in theory possible, it is extremely uncommon. Dogs have a natural resistance to the bacteria Clostridium tetani which causes tetanus and lockjaw.

The biggest worry would be for infection. If this was my case I would definitely be prescribing antibiotics just to be sure.

If you don't have access to antibiotics then we need to do all we can to keep it clean. It would be great to do some epsom salt soaks three times a day. To do this you can either use a bucket, or fill up the bathtub with an inch or two of water and dissolve as much epsom salts as you can into it. Then, soak the foot for about 5 minutes three times daily.

And, if possible, keep the foot covered when she is outside. A good way to do this is to use a sock with some duct tape on the top to keep it on. If the sock gets wet then take it off, soak the foot again and replace the sock.

Hope she does ok!

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (31788 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10023 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (11908 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (11710 views)

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (13028 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (11687 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (18283 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5514 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (12791 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6049 views)