Trifexis overdose?

Breed: Beagle Mix- 27 lbs
I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his dose yesterday of Trifexis. I tried to get it out of his mouth as soon as I realize what happened but he has already swallowed it. He weighs 27 lbs which is 12.27 kg. I'm watching him for vomiting. As per another question you answered which is similar wouldn't the toxic dose for him be around 5,000 mg?

Thanks for your question. In the question you referenced about a possible Trifexis overdose, we established that the toxic dose would be 400mg/kg of spinosad.

So, if your beagle weighs 12.3kg I would start to get worried if he ate more than 4920 mg (12.3x400) of spinosad.

You didn't mention what size of Trifexis your Coonhound is on, but let's assume he or she is on the large size of Trifexis for 60-120lbs. This dose contains 1620 mg of spinosad which is well under the toxic dose.

Most likely Spring will be just fine. Some dogs, if they eat too much Trifexis wil vomit. This is nothing to be concerned about.

There have been a few reported cases of dogs having serious side effects with Trifexis. We don't really know why and the problems seem to be very sporadic. If you are seeing symptoms such as extreme lethargy, tremors or seizures I would see the vet right away. But, this seems unlikely to happen.

It goes without saying that if Spring has not had her own dose of Trifexis this month, don't give it. Even if she has already had it though, she still won't be above the toxic dose.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

The coonhound had the 1620 mg of Spinosad in the 60.1 to 120 lbs prescribed. The Beagle had his Trifexis dose yesterday for his body weight. I'm glad to know that it is well under the toxic dose. I tried to figure it out based on a question that had been asked about a Chihuaha weighing 5 lbs.
I will just watch him close. This just happened within 15 minutes of me emailing the question. He does have a hx of HW disease which converted to negative in May 2012.
I guess I won't have to worry about fleas this month. :)

Thank you so much for answering the question quickly. I was worried.

Helen

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply again if any new concerns related to the Trifexis come up but I'm sure everyone will be fine!

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (8449 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (16218 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (10112 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (28471 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (7716 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (74473 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9428 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (6204 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (23090 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (16941 views)