Trifexis overdose?

Breed: Beagle Mix- 27 lbs
I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his dose yesterday of Trifexis. I tried to get it out of his mouth as soon as I realize what happened but he has already swallowed it. He weighs 27 lbs which is 12.27 kg. I'm watching him for vomiting. As per another question you answered which is similar wouldn't the toxic dose for him be around 5,000 mg?

Thanks for your question. In the question you referenced about a possible Trifexis overdose, we established that the toxic dose would be 400mg/kg of spinosad.

So, if your beagle weighs 12.3kg I would start to get worried if he ate more than 4920 mg (12.3x400) of spinosad.

You didn't mention what size of Trifexis your Coonhound is on, but let's assume he or she is on the large size of Trifexis for 60-120lbs. This dose contains 1620 mg of spinosad which is well under the toxic dose.

Most likely Spring will be just fine. Some dogs, if they eat too much Trifexis wil vomit. This is nothing to be concerned about.

There have been a few reported cases of dogs having serious side effects with Trifexis. We don't really know why and the problems seem to be very sporadic. If you are seeing symptoms such as extreme lethargy, tremors or seizures I would see the vet right away. But, this seems unlikely to happen.

It goes without saying that if Spring has not had her own dose of Trifexis this month, don't give it. Even if she has already had it though, she still won't be above the toxic dose.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

The coonhound had the 1620 mg of Spinosad in the 60.1 to 120 lbs prescribed. The Beagle had his Trifexis dose yesterday for his body weight. I'm glad to know that it is well under the toxic dose. I tried to figure it out based on a question that had been asked about a Chihuaha weighing 5 lbs.
I will just watch him close. This just happened within 15 minutes of me emailing the question. He does have a hx of HW disease which converted to negative in May 2012.
I guess I won't have to worry about fleas this month. :)

Thank you so much for answering the question quickly. I was worried.

Helen

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply again if any new concerns related to the Trifexis come up but I'm sure everyone will be fine!

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (18596 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (7068 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (5516 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5025 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (19671 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (17267 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9020 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (9073 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (8067 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (25551 views)