Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Trifexis overdose?

Species: Dog
Breed: Beagle Mix- 27 lbs
Age: 8-11 years
I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his dose yesterday of Trifexis. I tried to get it out of his mouth as soon as I realize what happened but he has already swallowed it. He weighs 27 lbs which is 12.27 kg. I'm watching him for vomiting. As per another question you answered which is similar wouldn't the toxic dose for him be around 5,000 mg?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks for your question. In the question you referenced about a possible Trifexis overdose, we established that the toxic dose would be 400mg/kg of spinosad.

So, if your beagle weighs 12.3kg I would start to get worried if he ate more than 4920 mg (12.3x400) of spinosad.

You didn't mention what size of Trifexis your Coonhound is on, but let's assume he or she is on the large size of Trifexis for 60-120lbs. This dose contains 1620 mg of spinosad which is well under the toxic dose.

Most likely Spring will be just fine. Some dogs, if they eat too much Trifexis wil vomit. This is nothing to be concerned about.

There have been a few reported cases of dogs having serious side effects with Trifexis. We don't really know why and the problems seem to be very sporadic. If you are seeing symptoms such as extreme lethargy, tremors or seizures I would see the vet right away. But, this seems unlikely to happen.

It goes without saying that if Spring has not had her own dose of Trifexis this month, don't give it. Even if she has already had it though, she still won't be above the toxic dose.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

The coonhound had the 1620 mg of Spinosad in the 60.1 to 120 lbs prescribed. The Beagle had his Trifexis dose yesterday for his body weight. I'm glad to know that it is well under the toxic dose. I tried to figure it out based on a question that had been asked about a Chihuaha weighing 5 lbs.
I will just watch him close. This just happened within 15 minutes of me emailing the question. He does have a hx of HW disease which converted to negative in May 2012.
I guess I won't have to worry about fleas this month. :)

Thank you so much for answering the question quickly. I was worried.

Helen


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply again if any new concerns related to the Trifexis come up but I'm sure everyone will be fine!



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (13129 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (11911 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (11803 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (18461 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6013 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6514 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6650 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (6972 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (55703 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (6107 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.