Trifexis overdose?

Breed: Beagle Mix- 27 lbs
I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his dose yesterday of Trifexis. I tried to get it out of his mouth as soon as I realize what happened but he has already swallowed it. He weighs 27 lbs which is 12.27 kg. I'm watching him for vomiting. As per another question you answered which is similar wouldn't the toxic dose for him be around 5,000 mg?

Thanks for your question. In the question you referenced about a possible Trifexis overdose, we established that the toxic dose would be 400mg/kg of spinosad.

So, if your beagle weighs 12.3kg I would start to get worried if he ate more than 4920 mg (12.3x400) of spinosad.

You didn't mention what size of Trifexis your Coonhound is on, but let's assume he or she is on the large size of Trifexis for 60-120lbs. This dose contains 1620 mg of spinosad which is well under the toxic dose.

Most likely Spring will be just fine. Some dogs, if they eat too much Trifexis wil vomit. This is nothing to be concerned about.

There have been a few reported cases of dogs having serious side effects with Trifexis. We don't really know why and the problems seem to be very sporadic. If you are seeing symptoms such as extreme lethargy, tremors or seizures I would see the vet right away. But, this seems unlikely to happen.

It goes without saying that if Spring has not had her own dose of Trifexis this month, don't give it. Even if she has already had it though, she still won't be above the toxic dose.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

The coonhound had the 1620 mg of Spinosad in the 60.1 to 120 lbs prescribed. The Beagle had his Trifexis dose yesterday for his body weight. I'm glad to know that it is well under the toxic dose. I tried to figure it out based on a question that had been asked about a Chihuaha weighing 5 lbs.
I will just watch him close. This just happened within 15 minutes of me emailing the question. He does have a hx of HW disease which converted to negative in May 2012.
I guess I won't have to worry about fleas this month. :)

Thank you so much for answering the question quickly. I was worried.

Helen

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply again if any new concerns related to the Trifexis come up but I'm sure everyone will be fine!

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (16042 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (12089 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (12355 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (99456 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (20031 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (10090 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (79983 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (7718 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (12965 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (10054 views)