Trifexis overdose?

Breed: Beagle Mix- 27 lbs
I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his dose yesterday of Trifexis. I tried to get it out of his mouth as soon as I realize what happened but he has already swallowed it. He weighs 27 lbs which is 12.27 kg. I'm watching him for vomiting. As per another question you answered which is similar wouldn't the toxic dose for him be around 5,000 mg?

Thanks for your question. In the question you referenced about a possible Trifexis overdose, we established that the toxic dose would be 400mg/kg of spinosad.

So, if your beagle weighs 12.3kg I would start to get worried if he ate more than 4920 mg (12.3x400) of spinosad.

You didn't mention what size of Trifexis your Coonhound is on, but let's assume he or she is on the large size of Trifexis for 60-120lbs. This dose contains 1620 mg of spinosad which is well under the toxic dose.

Most likely Spring will be just fine. Some dogs, if they eat too much Trifexis wil vomit. This is nothing to be concerned about.

There have been a few reported cases of dogs having serious side effects with Trifexis. We don't really know why and the problems seem to be very sporadic. If you are seeing symptoms such as extreme lethargy, tremors or seizures I would see the vet right away. But, this seems unlikely to happen.

It goes without saying that if Spring has not had her own dose of Trifexis this month, don't give it. Even if she has already had it though, she still won't be above the toxic dose.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

The coonhound had the 1620 mg of Spinosad in the 60.1 to 120 lbs prescribed. The Beagle had his Trifexis dose yesterday for his body weight. I'm glad to know that it is well under the toxic dose. I tried to figure it out based on a question that had been asked about a Chihuaha weighing 5 lbs.
I will just watch him close. This just happened within 15 minutes of me emailing the question. He does have a hx of HW disease which converted to negative in May 2012.
I guess I won't have to worry about fleas this month. :)

Thank you so much for answering the question quickly. I was worried.

Helen

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply again if any new concerns related to the Trifexis come up but I'm sure everyone will be fine!

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (9366 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (10982 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (15606 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (6743 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (7339 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5779 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (10263 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (14626 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (73379 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (6427 views)