Swollen paw pad.

Breed: labxterrier
Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week. He's not in any pain and I did squeeze something hard out of it but the swelling isnt going down. Do I just ice it and keep it as clean as possible or can I soak it in epsom salts to draw out any infection?
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Tannis

Sorry to hear that Max is having problems.

There are a number of possibilities for a swollen paw. From what you have described it is definitely possible that there is an infection present. There may be an object such as a splinter or piece of glass in the foot. If this is the case then Max will likely need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sometimes, if there is infection or a foreign object we can see some improvement by soaking the foot in an epsom salt solution a few times per day, so go ahead and do that.

There are some types of tumors that can cause swelling in paw pads as well.

If it is not improving, your vet will need to take a look.

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (8753 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (8327 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (10354 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (22732 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (5655 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (13215 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (5190 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (12811 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (13212 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (15037 views)