Swollen paw pad.

Breed: labxterrier
Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week. He's not in any pain and I did squeeze something hard out of it but the swelling isnt going down. Do I just ice it and keep it as clean as possible or can I soak it in epsom salts to draw out any infection?
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Tannis

Sorry to hear that Max is having problems.

There are a number of possibilities for a swollen paw. From what you have described it is definitely possible that there is an infection present. There may be an object such as a splinter or piece of glass in the foot. If this is the case then Max will likely need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sometimes, if there is infection or a foreign object we can see some improvement by soaking the foot in an epsom salt solution a few times per day, so go ahead and do that.

There are some types of tumors that can cause swelling in paw pads as well.

If it is not improving, your vet will need to take a look.

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (21823 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (17264 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (7480 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (39443 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (10927 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (8031 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (9453 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (34259 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (13555 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (16820 views)