Swollen paw pad.

Breed: labxterrier
Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week. He's not in any pain and I did squeeze something hard out of it but the swelling isnt going down. Do I just ice it and keep it as clean as possible or can I soak it in epsom salts to draw out any infection?
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Tannis

Sorry to hear that Max is having problems.

There are a number of possibilities for a swollen paw. From what you have described it is definitely possible that there is an infection present. There may be an object such as a splinter or piece of glass in the foot. If this is the case then Max will likely need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sometimes, if there is infection or a foreign object we can see some improvement by soaking the foot in an epsom salt solution a few times per day, so go ahead and do that.

There are some types of tumors that can cause swelling in paw pads as well.

If it is not improving, your vet will need to take a look.

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12743 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (26943 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (13323 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (30677 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18849 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (6377 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (41959 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (12553 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7766 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (8071 views)