Swollen paw pad.

Breed: labxterrier
Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week. He's not in any pain and I did squeeze something hard out of it but the swelling isnt going down. Do I just ice it and keep it as clean as possible or can I soak it in epsom salts to draw out any infection?
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Tannis

Sorry to hear that Max is having problems.

There are a number of possibilities for a swollen paw. From what you have described it is definitely possible that there is an infection present. There may be an object such as a splinter or piece of glass in the foot. If this is the case then Max will likely need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sometimes, if there is infection or a foreign object we can see some improvement by soaking the foot in an epsom salt solution a few times per day, so go ahead and do that.

There are some types of tumors that can cause swelling in paw pads as well.

If it is not improving, your vet will need to take a look.

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (13830 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (19550 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (13801 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (36740 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (11632 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (6064 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (60090 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (9685 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (12450 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20051 views)