Swollen paw pad.

Breed: labxterrier
Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week. He's not in any pain and I did squeeze something hard out of it but the swelling isnt going down. Do I just ice it and keep it as clean as possible or can I soak it in epsom salts to draw out any infection?
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Tannis

Sorry to hear that Max is having problems.

There are a number of possibilities for a swollen paw. From what you have described it is definitely possible that there is an infection present. There may be an object such as a splinter or piece of glass in the foot. If this is the case then Max will likely need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sometimes, if there is infection or a foreign object we can see some improvement by soaking the foot in an epsom salt solution a few times per day, so go ahead and do that.

There are some types of tumors that can cause swelling in paw pads as well.

If it is not improving, your vet will need to take a look.

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (5928 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (6045 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (60103 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (43165 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (6366 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (10866 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (16529 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (9003 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (45628 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (18862 views)