Home cooked diet for dog.

Breed: mix
I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green beans. She has been eating this for years. I've now been told that people food is bad for her. Would it be better for her to eat hard dog food that I feel is overcooked? I'm also concerned that most dog food comes fron China. Thank you for your help!

You've asked a controversial question!

I am a fan of commercial dog foods but I would agree that it can sometimes be difficult to know which foods are good quality.

The reason why I like commercial foods (as opposed to home cooking is that most of the good foods go through extensive testing to make sure that they contain the right balance of nutrients that a dog needs.

In Tater's case, however, you could make the argument that she has been eating this food for years and is >11 years old. Likely if you were my client I would tell you to keep doing what you are doing. There is nothing inherently wrong with what you are feeding her. The concern is that she could be missing some nutrients.

Another option for you though is to do a mixture of half home cooked and half commercially made food.

I hope that helps!

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (5519 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8158 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (23801 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (7327 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10172 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (9029 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (56550 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5048 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (8778 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (35938 views)