Home cooked diet for dog.

Breed: mix
I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green beans. She has been eating this for years. I've now been told that people food is bad for her. Would it be better for her to eat hard dog food that I feel is overcooked? I'm also concerned that most dog food comes fron China. Thank you for your help!

You've asked a controversial question!

I am a fan of commercial dog foods but I would agree that it can sometimes be difficult to know which foods are good quality.

The reason why I like commercial foods (as opposed to home cooking is that most of the good foods go through extensive testing to make sure that they contain the right balance of nutrients that a dog needs.

In Tater's case, however, you could make the argument that she has been eating this food for years and is >11 years old. Likely if you were my client I would tell you to keep doing what you are doing. There is nothing inherently wrong with what you are feeding her. The concern is that she could be missing some nutrients.

Another option for you though is to do a mixture of half home cooked and half commercially made food.

I hope that helps!

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (7980 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (12629 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (30185 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (8777 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (3955 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (4569 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (9875 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (3445 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (3925 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (19700 views)