Home cooked diet for dog.

Breed: mix
I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green beans. She has been eating this for years. I've now been told that people food is bad for her. Would it be better for her to eat hard dog food that I feel is overcooked? I'm also concerned that most dog food comes fron China. Thank you for your help!

You've asked a controversial question!

I am a fan of commercial dog foods but I would agree that it can sometimes be difficult to know which foods are good quality.

The reason why I like commercial foods (as opposed to home cooking is that most of the good foods go through extensive testing to make sure that they contain the right balance of nutrients that a dog needs.

In Tater's case, however, you could make the argument that she has been eating this food for years and is >11 years old. Likely if you were my client I would tell you to keep doing what you are doing. There is nothing inherently wrong with what you are feeding her. The concern is that she could be missing some nutrients.

Another option for you though is to do a mixture of half home cooked and half commercially made food.

I hope that helps!

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (45913 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (27273 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (17280 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (14917 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (23014 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (18477 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (12141 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (28014 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (15717 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (26198 views)