Home cooked diet for dog.

Breed: mix
I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green beans. She has been eating this for years. I've now been told that people food is bad for her. Would it be better for her to eat hard dog food that I feel is overcooked? I'm also concerned that most dog food comes fron China. Thank you for your help!

You've asked a controversial question!

I am a fan of commercial dog foods but I would agree that it can sometimes be difficult to know which foods are good quality.

The reason why I like commercial foods (as opposed to home cooking is that most of the good foods go through extensive testing to make sure that they contain the right balance of nutrients that a dog needs.

In Tater's case, however, you could make the argument that she has been eating this food for years and is >11 years old. Likely if you were my client I would tell you to keep doing what you are doing. There is nothing inherently wrong with what you are feeding her. The concern is that she could be missing some nutrients.

Another option for you though is to do a mixture of half home cooked and half commercially made food.

I hope that helps!

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (18061 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (4439 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (29131 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (6573 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (6750 views)

Small puppy. Rnt? Hi, I just purchased a purebred BullMastiff puppy. He is very happy and seems to... (23995 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (25704 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (6626 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (9844 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (6844 views)