Home cooked diet for dog.

Breed: mix
I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green beans. She has been eating this for years. I've now been told that people food is bad for her. Would it be better for her to eat hard dog food that I feel is overcooked? I'm also concerned that most dog food comes fron China. Thank you for your help!

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

You've asked a controversial question!

I am a fan of commercial dog foods but I would agree that it can sometimes be difficult to know which foods are good quality.

The reason why I like commercial foods (as opposed to home cooking is that most of the good foods go through extensive testing to make sure that they contain the right balance of nutrients that a dog needs.

In Tater's case, however, you could make the argument that she has been eating this food for years and is >11 years old. Likely if you were my client I would tell you to keep doing what you are doing. There is nothing inherently wrong with what you are feeding her. The concern is that she could be missing some nutrients.

Another option for you though is to do a mixture of half home cooked and half commercially made food.

I hope that helps!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (4033 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (25176 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (7310 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (5988 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (7607 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (6932 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (4696 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (25052 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (7800 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (4972 views)