Home cooked diet for dog.

Breed: mix
I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green beans. She has been eating this for years. I've now been told that people food is bad for her. Would it be better for her to eat hard dog food that I feel is overcooked? I'm also concerned that most dog food comes fron China. Thank you for your help!

You've asked a controversial question!

I am a fan of commercial dog foods but I would agree that it can sometimes be difficult to know which foods are good quality.

The reason why I like commercial foods (as opposed to home cooking is that most of the good foods go through extensive testing to make sure that they contain the right balance of nutrients that a dog needs.

In Tater's case, however, you could make the argument that she has been eating this food for years and is >11 years old. Likely if you were my client I would tell you to keep doing what you are doing. There is nothing inherently wrong with what you are feeding her. The concern is that she could be missing some nutrients.

Another option for you though is to do a mixture of half home cooked and half commercially made food.

I hope that helps!

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (6308 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (11789 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (11460 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (21652 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (6712 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (16408 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (25230 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (4882 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (14776 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (9518 views)