Home cooked diet for dog.

Breed: mix
I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green beans. She has been eating this for years. I've now been told that people food is bad for her. Would it be better for her to eat hard dog food that I feel is overcooked? I'm also concerned that most dog food comes fron China. Thank you for your help!

You've asked a controversial question!

I am a fan of commercial dog foods but I would agree that it can sometimes be difficult to know which foods are good quality.

The reason why I like commercial foods (as opposed to home cooking is that most of the good foods go through extensive testing to make sure that they contain the right balance of nutrients that a dog needs.

In Tater's case, however, you could make the argument that she has been eating this food for years and is >11 years old. Likely if you were my client I would tell you to keep doing what you are doing. There is nothing inherently wrong with what you are feeding her. The concern is that she could be missing some nutrients.

Another option for you though is to do a mixture of half home cooked and half commercially made food.

I hope that helps!

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (26937 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (10882 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (7975 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (62359 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5392 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (8733 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (78922 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5242 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (7525 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (21448 views)