Cat abscess not healing.

Breed:
About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the vet has given him multiple antibiotics but nothing is working, the abscess is ozing and he is not eating or drinking much at all. we have tried to feed him everything, but nothing works, hes getting very thin. what else can we do?

This sounds very frustrating.

When I have a case like this when there is an infection that is not healing, there are several things that I want to do.

The first thing would be to do a test called a culture. This is where we put a swab inside of the wound and send it to the lab. The lab will tell us exactly what type of bacteria is present and what needs to be done to get rid of it. It's possible that Spike has an infection with some sort of resistant bacteria. If so, he may need either a special type of antibiotic or a combination of antibiotics in order for this to heal.

The next thing I would do is to test him for feline leukemia and FIV. These diseases will affect the immune system and can make it very difficult for infection to heal. Hopefully this is not the case because we don't have a cure for either of these diseases.

If none of these find the answer, then I would consider doing a surgery on this area. I have had some abscesses that don't heal because there is something stuck inside the wound. One case that I had like this, when I did surgery, I found a cat's tooth inside of the wound! Once the tooth was removed the abscess healed just fine.

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (5123 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (6782 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (9625 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4301 views)

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (12170 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (7426 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (15710 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8274 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (30320 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (18338 views)