Cat abscess not healing.

Breed:
About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the vet has given him multiple antibiotics but nothing is working, the abscess is ozing and he is not eating or drinking much at all. we have tried to feed him everything, but nothing works, hes getting very thin. what else can we do?

This sounds very frustrating.

When I have a case like this when there is an infection that is not healing, there are several things that I want to do.

The first thing would be to do a test called a culture. This is where we put a swab inside of the wound and send it to the lab. The lab will tell us exactly what type of bacteria is present and what needs to be done to get rid of it. It's possible that Spike has an infection with some sort of resistant bacteria. If so, he may need either a special type of antibiotic or a combination of antibiotics in order for this to heal.

The next thing I would do is to test him for feline leukemia and FIV. These diseases will affect the immune system and can make it very difficult for infection to heal. Hopefully this is not the case because we don't have a cure for either of these diseases.

If none of these find the answer, then I would consider doing a surgery on this area. I have had some abscesses that don't heal because there is something stuck inside the wound. One case that I had like this, when I did surgery, I found a cat's tooth inside of the wound! Once the tooth was removed the abscess healed just fine.

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (7574 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (17726 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (17200 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (7785 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (7519 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (23051 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (7639 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (17679 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (14374 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (14869 views)