Cat abscess not healing.

Breed:
About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the vet has given him multiple antibiotics but nothing is working, the abscess is ozing and he is not eating or drinking much at all. we have tried to feed him everything, but nothing works, hes getting very thin. what else can we do?

This sounds very frustrating.

When I have a case like this when there is an infection that is not healing, there are several things that I want to do.

The first thing would be to do a test called a culture. This is where we put a swab inside of the wound and send it to the lab. The lab will tell us exactly what type of bacteria is present and what needs to be done to get rid of it. It's possible that Spike has an infection with some sort of resistant bacteria. If so, he may need either a special type of antibiotic or a combination of antibiotics in order for this to heal.

The next thing I would do is to test him for feline leukemia and FIV. These diseases will affect the immune system and can make it very difficult for infection to heal. Hopefully this is not the case because we don't have a cure for either of these diseases.

If none of these find the answer, then I would consider doing a surgery on this area. I have had some abscesses that don't heal because there is something stuck inside the wound. One case that I had like this, when I did surgery, I found a cat's tooth inside of the wound! Once the tooth was removed the abscess healed just fine.

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (11902 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (13244 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (9754 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (17909 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (13574 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (9590 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (14464 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (33213 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (7176 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (102666 views)