Cat abscess not healing.

Breed:
About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the vet has given him multiple antibiotics but nothing is working, the abscess is ozing and he is not eating or drinking much at all. we have tried to feed him everything, but nothing works, hes getting very thin. what else can we do?

This sounds very frustrating.

When I have a case like this when there is an infection that is not healing, there are several things that I want to do.

The first thing would be to do a test called a culture. This is where we put a swab inside of the wound and send it to the lab. The lab will tell us exactly what type of bacteria is present and what needs to be done to get rid of it. It's possible that Spike has an infection with some sort of resistant bacteria. If so, he may need either a special type of antibiotic or a combination of antibiotics in order for this to heal.

The next thing I would do is to test him for feline leukemia and FIV. These diseases will affect the immune system and can make it very difficult for infection to heal. Hopefully this is not the case because we don't have a cure for either of these diseases.

If none of these find the answer, then I would consider doing a surgery on this area. I have had some abscesses that don't heal because there is something stuck inside the wound. One case that I had like this, when I did surgery, I found a cat's tooth inside of the wound! Once the tooth was removed the abscess healed just fine.

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (4987 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (7129 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (8964 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (14734 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (85048 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6460 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (8204 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (21014 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (21599 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (20504 views)