Tylosin responsive diarrhea.

Breed: Golden Retriever
In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts" to control diarrhea. My dog, a 75 pound golden retriever, definitely has tylosin-responsive diarrhea and I am wondering what a "tiny amount" is. Her vet initially prescribed 1/4 tsp with each meal (i.e. twice a day) and I noticed that I could reduce the dose to about 1/8 tsp every other day with continued good results. I would like to lower the dose even further if possible. If I take her off of the tylosin her loose and sometimes bloody stools come back in about a week. Would it be useful to give her a probiotic such as Prostora along with the tylosin or would the tylosin prevent/preclude any beneficial effect of a probiotic? Thanks.

This really is something you'll need to discuss with your veterinarian as I can't legally advise you on medication dosages online.

Most likely though, if this dose is working, that should be just fine.

I am starting to think now that a lot of dogs that have "Tylosin responsive diarrhea" actually have clostridium. Many of these dogs can carry clostridium for years and as soon as the tylosin is stopped, the diarrhea comes back.

It is believed that probiotics help with clostridium diarrhea, so yes, this likely is a good idea. Again, I can't really recommend any particular brand. I can tell you to be wary of over the counter products as there is no one who regulates the quality of probiotics. It's best to get some from your vet.

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (9509 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (26796 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9462 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (16514 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (7908 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (18760 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (10039 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (91808 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (13043 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (5094 views)