Tylosin responsive diarrhea.

Breed: Golden Retriever
In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts" to control diarrhea. My dog, a 75 pound golden retriever, definitely has tylosin-responsive diarrhea and I am wondering what a "tiny amount" is. Her vet initially prescribed 1/4 tsp with each meal (i.e. twice a day) and I noticed that I could reduce the dose to about 1/8 tsp every other day with continued good results. I would like to lower the dose even further if possible. If I take her off of the tylosin her loose and sometimes bloody stools come back in about a week. Would it be useful to give her a probiotic such as Prostora along with the tylosin or would the tylosin prevent/preclude any beneficial effect of a probiotic? Thanks.

This really is something you'll need to discuss with your veterinarian as I can't legally advise you on medication dosages online.

Most likely though, if this dose is working, that should be just fine.

I am starting to think now that a lot of dogs that have "Tylosin responsive diarrhea" actually have clostridium. Many of these dogs can carry clostridium for years and as soon as the tylosin is stopped, the diarrhea comes back.

It is believed that probiotics help with clostridium diarrhea, so yes, this likely is a good idea. Again, I can't really recommend any particular brand. I can tell you to be wary of over the counter products as there is no one who regulates the quality of probiotics. It's best to get some from your vet.

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (9184 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (14340 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (127240 views)

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (10283 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (15777 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (22484 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (37678 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (24338 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (16894 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (5649 views)