Tylosin responsive diarrhea.

Breed: Golden Retriever
In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts" to control diarrhea. My dog, a 75 pound golden retriever, definitely has tylosin-responsive diarrhea and I am wondering what a "tiny amount" is. Her vet initially prescribed 1/4 tsp with each meal (i.e. twice a day) and I noticed that I could reduce the dose to about 1/8 tsp every other day with continued good results. I would like to lower the dose even further if possible. If I take her off of the tylosin her loose and sometimes bloody stools come back in about a week. Would it be useful to give her a probiotic such as Prostora along with the tylosin or would the tylosin prevent/preclude any beneficial effect of a probiotic? Thanks.

This really is something you'll need to discuss with your veterinarian as I can't legally advise you on medication dosages online.

Most likely though, if this dose is working, that should be just fine.

I am starting to think now that a lot of dogs that have "Tylosin responsive diarrhea" actually have clostridium. Many of these dogs can carry clostridium for years and as soon as the tylosin is stopped, the diarrhea comes back.

It is believed that probiotics help with clostridium diarrhea, so yes, this likely is a good idea. Again, I can't really recommend any particular brand. I can tell you to be wary of over the counter products as there is no one who regulates the quality of probiotics. It's best to get some from your vet.

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15552 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (4754 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (102969 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (19586 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (5299 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (68738 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8184 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (6843 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (6370 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (4971 views)