Tylosin responsive diarrhea.

Breed: Golden Retriever
In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts" to control diarrhea. My dog, a 75 pound golden retriever, definitely has tylosin-responsive diarrhea and I am wondering what a "tiny amount" is. Her vet initially prescribed 1/4 tsp with each meal (i.e. twice a day) and I noticed that I could reduce the dose to about 1/8 tsp every other day with continued good results. I would like to lower the dose even further if possible. If I take her off of the tylosin her loose and sometimes bloody stools come back in about a week. Would it be useful to give her a probiotic such as Prostora along with the tylosin or would the tylosin prevent/preclude any beneficial effect of a probiotic? Thanks.

This really is something you'll need to discuss with your veterinarian as I can't legally advise you on medication dosages online.

Most likely though, if this dose is working, that should be just fine.

I am starting to think now that a lot of dogs that have "Tylosin responsive diarrhea" actually have clostridium. Many of these dogs can carry clostridium for years and as soon as the tylosin is stopped, the diarrhea comes back.

It is believed that probiotics help with clostridium diarrhea, so yes, this likely is a good idea. Again, I can't really recommend any particular brand. I can tell you to be wary of over the counter products as there is no one who regulates the quality of probiotics. It's best to get some from your vet.

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (20644 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (9826 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (4247 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8011 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (7925 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (14761 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (27020 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (13362 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (16981 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (8520 views)