Tylosin responsive diarrhea.

Breed: Golden Retriever
In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts" to control diarrhea. My dog, a 75 pound golden retriever, definitely has tylosin-responsive diarrhea and I am wondering what a "tiny amount" is. Her vet initially prescribed 1/4 tsp with each meal (i.e. twice a day) and I noticed that I could reduce the dose to about 1/8 tsp every other day with continued good results. I would like to lower the dose even further if possible. If I take her off of the tylosin her loose and sometimes bloody stools come back in about a week. Would it be useful to give her a probiotic such as Prostora along with the tylosin or would the tylosin prevent/preclude any beneficial effect of a probiotic? Thanks.

This really is something you'll need to discuss with your veterinarian as I can't legally advise you on medication dosages online.

Most likely though, if this dose is working, that should be just fine.

I am starting to think now that a lot of dogs that have "Tylosin responsive diarrhea" actually have clostridium. Many of these dogs can carry clostridium for years and as soon as the tylosin is stopped, the diarrhea comes back.

It is believed that probiotics help with clostridium diarrhea, so yes, this likely is a good idea. Again, I can't really recommend any particular brand. I can tell you to be wary of over the counter products as there is no one who regulates the quality of probiotics. It's best to get some from your vet.

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (11406 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (9322 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (9372 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (16424 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (18682 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16188 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (15045 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (240459 views)

Sending dog to UK. My cats were given Killed Virus 3 year vaccine (Fort Dodge Rabvac 3TF) at 4 months... (6882 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (8115 views)