Tylosin responsive diarrhea.

Breed: Golden Retriever
In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts" to control diarrhea. My dog, a 75 pound golden retriever, definitely has tylosin-responsive diarrhea and I am wondering what a "tiny amount" is. Her vet initially prescribed 1/4 tsp with each meal (i.e. twice a day) and I noticed that I could reduce the dose to about 1/8 tsp every other day with continued good results. I would like to lower the dose even further if possible. If I take her off of the tylosin her loose and sometimes bloody stools come back in about a week. Would it be useful to give her a probiotic such as Prostora along with the tylosin or would the tylosin prevent/preclude any beneficial effect of a probiotic? Thanks.

This really is something you'll need to discuss with your veterinarian as I can't legally advise you on medication dosages online.

Most likely though, if this dose is working, that should be just fine.

I am starting to think now that a lot of dogs that have "Tylosin responsive diarrhea" actually have clostridium. Many of these dogs can carry clostridium for years and as soon as the tylosin is stopped, the diarrhea comes back.

It is believed that probiotics help with clostridium diarrhea, so yes, this likely is a good idea. Again, I can't really recommend any particular brand. I can tell you to be wary of over the counter products as there is no one who regulates the quality of probiotics. It's best to get some from your vet.

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (106608 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (12279 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (9847 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (12854 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (11451 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (11183 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (9982 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (7496 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (8301 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (6160 views)