Suddenly disoriented.

Breed: Min Schnauzer
our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr ago) I woke up to hear him running into things. He is acting like he can't see, going into corners and when he runs into a stopping point keeps trying to continue on. He seems to favor his left side a little funny but can walk without losing his balance. He knows the layout of the house so now it's like he doesn't even know where he is. His skin felt warmer then normal when I picked him up and his breathing is almost anxious sounding. Any suggestions?

Hmm...these are unusual symptoms.

While I won't be able to tell you for sure what is going on I can give you a few ideas.

My first thought was that he may have something called vestibular syndrome. We usually see this in elderly dogs, but I have seen it in 8 year old dogs as well. We don't know exactly what causes vestibular syndrome but somehow a part of the brain is affected and we can see dogs be very disoriented. They often will walk in circles, but not always. If this is vestibular syndrome then most dogs make a complete (or close to complete) recovery within a few days.

The next possibility is if he has a problem with his inner ear such as an inner ear infection. This can cause disorientation and could cause a fever as well.

It's also possible that he had a seizure. Often we don't know why seizures happen. But, when they do, it's not uncommon for a dog to be very disoriented for hours afterwards. If this was a seizure then it is not likely an urgent situation, but if he is having more of them then it is something that needs to be addressed.

It is also possible that his blindness has progressed. If this happens quickly then dogs can be very out of sorts. It shouldn't explain why he feels warm though.

And one final thought. Have a look at his gums. Do they look pink or white? (Sometimes with schnauzers it's hard to tell because they may be black due to pigment). If they look white then it's possible that Archie has some internal bleeding. One possible reason would be a spleen tumor that has ruptured. The blood loss into the abdomen can cause him to be disoriented and distressed and can affect his breathing.

At this point, what you do depends on how he is doing. If he seems to be getting better then it is ok to wait and see if he continues to improve throughout the day. But if you feel like this is not getting better then I would definitely have your vet take a look at him.

I hope that everything is ok! Please let me know if you have more questions.

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (7521 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (13276 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (11017 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (11864 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (4876 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (17421 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (91806 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (8156 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (14721 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (20964 views)