Suddenly disoriented.

Breed: Min Schnauzer
our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr ago) I woke up to hear him running into things. He is acting like he can't see, going into corners and when he runs into a stopping point keeps trying to continue on. He seems to favor his left side a little funny but can walk without losing his balance. He knows the layout of the house so now it's like he doesn't even know where he is. His skin felt warmer then normal when I picked him up and his breathing is almost anxious sounding. Any suggestions?

Hmm...these are unusual symptoms.

While I won't be able to tell you for sure what is going on I can give you a few ideas.

My first thought was that he may have something called vestibular syndrome. We usually see this in elderly dogs, but I have seen it in 8 year old dogs as well. We don't know exactly what causes vestibular syndrome but somehow a part of the brain is affected and we can see dogs be very disoriented. They often will walk in circles, but not always. If this is vestibular syndrome then most dogs make a complete (or close to complete) recovery within a few days.

The next possibility is if he has a problem with his inner ear such as an inner ear infection. This can cause disorientation and could cause a fever as well.

It's also possible that he had a seizure. Often we don't know why seizures happen. But, when they do, it's not uncommon for a dog to be very disoriented for hours afterwards. If this was a seizure then it is not likely an urgent situation, but if he is having more of them then it is something that needs to be addressed.

It is also possible that his blindness has progressed. If this happens quickly then dogs can be very out of sorts. It shouldn't explain why he feels warm though.

And one final thought. Have a look at his gums. Do they look pink or white? (Sometimes with schnauzers it's hard to tell because they may be black due to pigment). If they look white then it's possible that Archie has some internal bleeding. One possible reason would be a spleen tumor that has ruptured. The blood loss into the abdomen can cause him to be disoriented and distressed and can affect his breathing.

At this point, what you do depends on how he is doing. If he seems to be getting better then it is ok to wait and see if he continues to improve throughout the day. But if you feel like this is not getting better then I would definitely have your vet take a look at him.

I hope that everything is ok! Please let me know if you have more questions.

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (12136 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (9332 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (15640 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (11879 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (10361 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (13387 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (8563 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (12236 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (10421 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (17060 views)