Suddenly disoriented.

Breed: Min Schnauzer
our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr ago) I woke up to hear him running into things. He is acting like he can't see, going into corners and when he runs into a stopping point keeps trying to continue on. He seems to favor his left side a little funny but can walk without losing his balance. He knows the layout of the house so now it's like he doesn't even know where he is. His skin felt warmer then normal when I picked him up and his breathing is almost anxious sounding. Any suggestions?

Hmm...these are unusual symptoms.

While I won't be able to tell you for sure what is going on I can give you a few ideas.

My first thought was that he may have something called vestibular syndrome. We usually see this in elderly dogs, but I have seen it in 8 year old dogs as well. We don't know exactly what causes vestibular syndrome but somehow a part of the brain is affected and we can see dogs be very disoriented. They often will walk in circles, but not always. If this is vestibular syndrome then most dogs make a complete (or close to complete) recovery within a few days.

The next possibility is if he has a problem with his inner ear such as an inner ear infection. This can cause disorientation and could cause a fever as well.

It's also possible that he had a seizure. Often we don't know why seizures happen. But, when they do, it's not uncommon for a dog to be very disoriented for hours afterwards. If this was a seizure then it is not likely an urgent situation, but if he is having more of them then it is something that needs to be addressed.

It is also possible that his blindness has progressed. If this happens quickly then dogs can be very out of sorts. It shouldn't explain why he feels warm though.

And one final thought. Have a look at his gums. Do they look pink or white? (Sometimes with schnauzers it's hard to tell because they may be black due to pigment). If they look white then it's possible that Archie has some internal bleeding. One possible reason would be a spleen tumor that has ruptured. The blood loss into the abdomen can cause him to be disoriented and distressed and can affect his breathing.

At this point, what you do depends on how he is doing. If he seems to be getting better then it is ok to wait and see if he continues to improve throughout the day. But if you feel like this is not getting better then I would definitely have your vet take a look at him.

I hope that everything is ok! Please let me know if you have more questions.

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13183 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4557 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (108431 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14099 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (6816 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (9582 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (24480 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7515 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (112781 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8187 views)