Great Dane footpad problems.

Breed: great dane
I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her movements tend to be slow and steady but I feel concerned about her feet. Someone told me the breed tends to have tender pads that may become bloody if too much time is spent on asphalt. Do you have any information about this subject? Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your question.

In 12 years of practice I have treated a good number of Great Danes but have yet to see one with footpad issues. I did some research for you, just to be sure and I can find no mention of this breed being more sensitive than others to footpad problems.

In my practice I currently have two greyhounds and a soft coated wheaten terrier that have recurring problems with the pads getting irritated and sloughing. This can sometimes be related to an autoimmune condition such as vasculitis. There is a theory that vasculitis can be connected somehow to a condition called panosteitis which is like growing pains in long bones. Great Danes can be more prone to panosteitis. So, in theory it is possible that we could see a foot pad problem.

However, I would advise to use common sense when walking him and have a look at her feet after a walk if you are concerned. Usually footpad injuries are quite easy to spot.

I hope this helps!

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (19696 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (42047 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (10921 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (15870 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (9778 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (12234 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (9552 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (13183 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (35451 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (12654 views)