Great Dane footpad problems.

Breed: great dane
I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her movements tend to be slow and steady but I feel concerned about her feet. Someone told me the breed tends to have tender pads that may become bloody if too much time is spent on asphalt. Do you have any information about this subject? Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your question.

In 12 years of practice I have treated a good number of Great Danes but have yet to see one with footpad issues. I did some research for you, just to be sure and I can find no mention of this breed being more sensitive than others to footpad problems.

In my practice I currently have two greyhounds and a soft coated wheaten terrier that have recurring problems with the pads getting irritated and sloughing. This can sometimes be related to an autoimmune condition such as vasculitis. There is a theory that vasculitis can be connected somehow to a condition called panosteitis which is like growing pains in long bones. Great Danes can be more prone to panosteitis. So, in theory it is possible that we could see a foot pad problem.

However, I would advise to use common sense when walking him and have a look at her feet after a walk if you are concerned. Usually footpad injuries are quite easy to spot.

I hope this helps!

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (9357 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (7678 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20990 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15328 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (11469 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (30012 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (8477 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (8007 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (50900 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (9620 views)