Great Dane footpad problems.

Breed: great dane
I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her movements tend to be slow and steady but I feel concerned about her feet. Someone told me the breed tends to have tender pads that may become bloody if too much time is spent on asphalt. Do you have any information about this subject? Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your question.

In 12 years of practice I have treated a good number of Great Danes but have yet to see one with footpad issues. I did some research for you, just to be sure and I can find no mention of this breed being more sensitive than others to footpad problems.

In my practice I currently have two greyhounds and a soft coated wheaten terrier that have recurring problems with the pads getting irritated and sloughing. This can sometimes be related to an autoimmune condition such as vasculitis. There is a theory that vasculitis can be connected somehow to a condition called panosteitis which is like growing pains in long bones. Great Danes can be more prone to panosteitis. So, in theory it is possible that we could see a foot pad problem.

However, I would advise to use common sense when walking him and have a look at her feet after a walk if you are concerned. Usually footpad injuries are quite easy to spot.

I hope this helps!

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (8587 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (90491 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10556 views)

Elderly cat not eating. my cat is elderly, arthritic and diabetic - but very lovely :) she was diagnosed... (5692 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (31390 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (4834 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (13284 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (12996 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8348 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6674 views)