Great Dane footpad problems.

Breed: great dane
I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her movements tend to be slow and steady but I feel concerned about her feet. Someone told me the breed tends to have tender pads that may become bloody if too much time is spent on asphalt. Do you have any information about this subject? Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your question.

In 12 years of practice I have treated a good number of Great Danes but have yet to see one with footpad issues. I did some research for you, just to be sure and I can find no mention of this breed being more sensitive than others to footpad problems.

In my practice I currently have two greyhounds and a soft coated wheaten terrier that have recurring problems with the pads getting irritated and sloughing. This can sometimes be related to an autoimmune condition such as vasculitis. There is a theory that vasculitis can be connected somehow to a condition called panosteitis which is like growing pains in long bones. Great Danes can be more prone to panosteitis. So, in theory it is possible that we could see a foot pad problem.

However, I would advise to use common sense when walking him and have a look at her feet after a walk if you are concerned. Usually footpad injuries are quite easy to spot.

I hope this helps!

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (11324 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (20548 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (13909 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (14286 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (8785 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (10230 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (9745 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (15740 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (8464 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (9888 views)