Great Dane footpad problems.

Breed: great dane
I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her movements tend to be slow and steady but I feel concerned about her feet. Someone told me the breed tends to have tender pads that may become bloody if too much time is spent on asphalt. Do you have any information about this subject? Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your question.

In 12 years of practice I have treated a good number of Great Danes but have yet to see one with footpad issues. I did some research for you, just to be sure and I can find no mention of this breed being more sensitive than others to footpad problems.

In my practice I currently have two greyhounds and a soft coated wheaten terrier that have recurring problems with the pads getting irritated and sloughing. This can sometimes be related to an autoimmune condition such as vasculitis. There is a theory that vasculitis can be connected somehow to a condition called panosteitis which is like growing pains in long bones. Great Danes can be more prone to panosteitis. So, in theory it is possible that we could see a foot pad problem.

However, I would advise to use common sense when walking him and have a look at her feet after a walk if you are concerned. Usually footpad injuries are quite easy to spot.

I hope this helps!

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (10566 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13370 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (12048 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (13622 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (10076 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (27540 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8840 views)

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (10093 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (10676 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (22004 views)