Lentigo on a daschund.

Breed: Dachshund
Dear Dr. Marie,

I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when I was clipping his nails. I have touched them and they are smooth to the touch, not coming off with a gentle rub. Looking around online I found something that may be close "Acanthosis Nigricans". However, Howie isn't the skinniest Dachshund, but he is not the biggest by any means. Any ideas?

By the way Howie is 5 years of age.

Here are some pictures I uploaded to PhotoBucket:

Howie standing:
black spots on belly

Howie's chest w/out a camera flash:
black spots on dog's chest

Howie's chest w/ a camera flash:
black spots on dog's chest

Thank you,

Kraig Blamires

Hi Kraig...thanks for the great photos. Howie looks like a real sweetheart.

Acanthosis nigricans is usually much "uglier" than this. It can definitely affect daschunds, but usually it is in the armpits and causes the skin to be very thickened, almost like elephant skin. It is possible that this is the early formation of acanthosis nigricans, but my guess would be that it isn't.

Some dogs can get raised black dots called comedomes, but these don't sound like they're raised at all.

Sometimes I can see little black dots when an infection is starting...but again, this doesn't look likely from the pictures.

Most likely though, this is something called lentigo. Lentigo is kind of like "age spots" in people. They are nothing to worry about.

My general rule of thumb for things like these is that if they are not bothersome then I wouldn't be worried. If you start noticing that they are raised or itchy then I would have your vet look at them.

Keep in mind though, that I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. So, if you are concerned or if your "gut" is telling you that something is wrong then have your vet check Howie out!

Thank you for your quick reply. As it sits right now Howie doesn't seem to be bothered at all by them. If he starts acting out of the norm at all I will for sure bring him into the vet.

It just worried me, because they literally just appeared. I clipped his nails a week ago and don't remember anything being there.

You're very welcome! If anything changes, feel free to reply!

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (13029 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (5695 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (55681 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (13619 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (6720 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (38217 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (10992 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (4153 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (12245 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (4780 views)