Lentigo on a daschund.

Breed: Dachshund
Dear Dr. Marie,

I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when I was clipping his nails. I have touched them and they are smooth to the touch, not coming off with a gentle rub. Looking around online I found something that may be close "Acanthosis Nigricans". However, Howie isn't the skinniest Dachshund, but he is not the biggest by any means. Any ideas?

By the way Howie is 5 years of age.

Here are some pictures I uploaded to PhotoBucket:

Howie standing:
black spots on belly

Howie's chest w/out a camera flash:
black spots on dog's chest

Howie's chest w/ a camera flash:
black spots on dog's chest

Thank you,

Kraig Blamires

Hi Kraig...thanks for the great photos. Howie looks like a real sweetheart.

Acanthosis nigricans is usually much "uglier" than this. It can definitely affect daschunds, but usually it is in the armpits and causes the skin to be very thickened, almost like elephant skin. It is possible that this is the early formation of acanthosis nigricans, but my guess would be that it isn't.

Some dogs can get raised black dots called comedomes, but these don't sound like they're raised at all.

Sometimes I can see little black dots when an infection is starting...but again, this doesn't look likely from the pictures.

Most likely though, this is something called lentigo. Lentigo is kind of like "age spots" in people. They are nothing to worry about.

My general rule of thumb for things like these is that if they are not bothersome then I wouldn't be worried. If you start noticing that they are raised or itchy then I would have your vet look at them.

Keep in mind though, that I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. So, if you are concerned or if your "gut" is telling you that something is wrong then have your vet check Howie out!

Thank you for your quick reply. As it sits right now Howie doesn't seem to be bothered at all by them. If he starts acting out of the norm at all I will for sure bring him into the vet.

It just worried me, because they literally just appeared. I clipped his nails a week ago and don't remember anything being there.

You're very welcome! If anything changes, feel free to reply!

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (17128 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (12356 views)

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (9105 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (9649 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (14229 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (9908 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (13404 views)

Kitten has diarrhea Hi, my four month old cat has not stopped doing runny poos since i have had her. i... (11302 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (42519 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (16520 views)