Leaking urine after swimming.

Breed: Golden Doodle
I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several times a week in a clear sandy pond with very clean water (formed from a glacial kettle, so only water in & out is via rain, evaporation and the aquifer). The pond has a swimming beach with lifeguards and is monitored for bacteria by the town health department. A typical swim we do, with her swimming along beside me, is half a mile or so. Starting about a month or so ago, whenever we'd do these swims, for roughly the following 12 hours, she leaks urine. It only happens after these swims. On days we don't swim, no leaks. She also goes to doggy day care once a week, upon her return from she is very tired. She has no leakage problems associated with day care. She was just checked for a urinary track infection a week ago, and nothing showed up (no bacteria, no crystals, etc.) She does get vaccinated every year for Leptospirosis, but the vet will take a blood sample in the next day or two to check for a Lepto infection anyway. My vet, so far, is baffled. Just curious if you've ever heard of anything like this.

That's an unusual situation! I can't say that I have ever seen a dog that leaks urine after swimming.

My best guess would be that Lucy is starting to get something called USMI (urethral sphincter mechanism incontinence). (I just wrote an article about this that you can read here: USMI in dogs

Does the leaking happen when she is resting? If so, then this is probably what is going on. But, if it is when she is running around and active then there is another issue.

As to why this would only happen after she is swimming, that's a bit of a mystery. I suppose it is possible that she uses different muscles when swimming and so perhaps certain muscles get more fatigued than they do at daycare which could make the leaking worse.

If it is USMI you will likely find that the leaking gets worse as time goes by and may not just be associated with swimming. The good news, though, is that if this is USMI then there are great treatments that are not difficult. I've described them in the article.

This is an interesting case and I will keep thinking on it. If I come up with any more ideas I'll let you know.

Thanks. As far as I can tell, the leaking occurs only when she is resting. I guess the leaking does not require a full bladder either, as my house has a doggy door, and she can go outside (even in winter) any time she wants, 24-7. And this dog maybe had one accident during house breaking, so if she felt her bladder feeling "full", she'd definitely go out and empty it.

The correlation with the long quarter-to-half-mile swims is 100%. If on walks, she jumps in a pond and does short swims to, say, retrieve a thrown stick, she does not have this issue. But on those swims she might, in the course of several retrievals, only have swum 100-200 feet.

I'll let you know if the lepto test shows anything, and I'll ask my vet about USMI.

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (12493 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (12161 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (166260 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (18558 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (14801 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (46148 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (25397 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (23650 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (8233 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (21005 views)