Leaking urine after swimming.

Breed: Golden Doodle
I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several times a week in a clear sandy pond with very clean water (formed from a glacial kettle, so only water in & out is via rain, evaporation and the aquifer). The pond has a swimming beach with lifeguards and is monitored for bacteria by the town health department. A typical swim we do, with her swimming along beside me, is half a mile or so. Starting about a month or so ago, whenever we'd do these swims, for roughly the following 12 hours, she leaks urine. It only happens after these swims. On days we don't swim, no leaks. She also goes to doggy day care once a week, upon her return from she is very tired. She has no leakage problems associated with day care. She was just checked for a urinary track infection a week ago, and nothing showed up (no bacteria, no crystals, etc.) She does get vaccinated every year for Leptospirosis, but the vet will take a blood sample in the next day or two to check for a Lepto infection anyway. My vet, so far, is baffled. Just curious if you've ever heard of anything like this.

That's an unusual situation! I can't say that I have ever seen a dog that leaks urine after swimming.

My best guess would be that Lucy is starting to get something called USMI (urethral sphincter mechanism incontinence). (I just wrote an article about this that you can read here: USMI in dogs

Does the leaking happen when she is resting? If so, then this is probably what is going on. But, if it is when she is running around and active then there is another issue.

As to why this would only happen after she is swimming, that's a bit of a mystery. I suppose it is possible that she uses different muscles when swimming and so perhaps certain muscles get more fatigued than they do at daycare which could make the leaking worse.

If it is USMI you will likely find that the leaking gets worse as time goes by and may not just be associated with swimming. The good news, though, is that if this is USMI then there are great treatments that are not difficult. I've described them in the article.

This is an interesting case and I will keep thinking on it. If I come up with any more ideas I'll let you know.

Thanks. As far as I can tell, the leaking occurs only when she is resting. I guess the leaking does not require a full bladder either, as my house has a doggy door, and she can go outside (even in winter) any time she wants, 24-7. And this dog maybe had one accident during house breaking, so if she felt her bladder feeling "full", she'd definitely go out and empty it.

The correlation with the long quarter-to-half-mile swims is 100%. If on walks, she jumps in a pond and does short swims to, say, retrieve a thrown stick, she does not have this issue. But on those swims she might, in the course of several retrievals, only have swum 100-200 feet.

I'll let you know if the lepto test shows anything, and I'll ask my vet about USMI.

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (9155 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (14464 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (16841 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (16158 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (9729 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (25830 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (5889 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (20167 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (13420 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (8003 views)