Leaking urine after swimming.

Breed: Golden Doodle
I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several times a week in a clear sandy pond with very clean water (formed from a glacial kettle, so only water in & out is via rain, evaporation and the aquifer). The pond has a swimming beach with lifeguards and is monitored for bacteria by the town health department. A typical swim we do, with her swimming along beside me, is half a mile or so. Starting about a month or so ago, whenever we'd do these swims, for roughly the following 12 hours, she leaks urine. It only happens after these swims. On days we don't swim, no leaks. She also goes to doggy day care once a week, upon her return from she is very tired. She has no leakage problems associated with day care. She was just checked for a urinary track infection a week ago, and nothing showed up (no bacteria, no crystals, etc.) She does get vaccinated every year for Leptospirosis, but the vet will take a blood sample in the next day or two to check for a Lepto infection anyway. My vet, so far, is baffled. Just curious if you've ever heard of anything like this.

That's an unusual situation! I can't say that I have ever seen a dog that leaks urine after swimming.

My best guess would be that Lucy is starting to get something called USMI (urethral sphincter mechanism incontinence). (I just wrote an article about this that you can read here: USMI in dogs

Does the leaking happen when she is resting? If so, then this is probably what is going on. But, if it is when she is running around and active then there is another issue.

As to why this would only happen after she is swimming, that's a bit of a mystery. I suppose it is possible that she uses different muscles when swimming and so perhaps certain muscles get more fatigued than they do at daycare which could make the leaking worse.

If it is USMI you will likely find that the leaking gets worse as time goes by and may not just be associated with swimming. The good news, though, is that if this is USMI then there are great treatments that are not difficult. I've described them in the article.

This is an interesting case and I will keep thinking on it. If I come up with any more ideas I'll let you know.

Thanks. As far as I can tell, the leaking occurs only when she is resting. I guess the leaking does not require a full bladder either, as my house has a doggy door, and she can go outside (even in winter) any time she wants, 24-7. And this dog maybe had one accident during house breaking, so if she felt her bladder feeling "full", she'd definitely go out and empty it.

The correlation with the long quarter-to-half-mile swims is 100%. If on walks, she jumps in a pond and does short swims to, say, retrieve a thrown stick, she does not have this issue. But on those swims she might, in the course of several retrievals, only have swum 100-200 feet.

I'll let you know if the lepto test shows anything, and I'll ask my vet about USMI.

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (20745 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (10312 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (13605 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (33600 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (13569 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8136 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (18040 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (67796 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (11769 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (25439 views)