Guinea pig scabs around mouth.

Breed: guinea pig
My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took him to the vets twice and the vet gave me anti biotics. The scabs cleared up but after about a mounth they are coming back. Why is this happening? What has cause this? How can i help this?

There is actually a condition in guinea pigs that is called "scabs around the mouth". The treatment for this condition is to clean the scabs with an antiseptic solution (prescribed by your vet) and also use a dilute solution of povidone iodine. Along with this, Panalog cream (again prescribed by the vet).

Some vets think that this is caused by a virus, but no one really knows. It could also be bacterial or fungal.

Of course, though, I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. If this were my case and my clients could afford it I would be recommending biopsies of the affected skin. This really should tell us what it is and how to treat it.

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (7972 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (8172 views)

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (13147 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (23968 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (7803 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (48235 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (12988 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (15961 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (9312 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (37410 views)