Guinea pig scabs around mouth.

Breed: guinea pig
My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took him to the vets twice and the vet gave me anti biotics. The scabs cleared up but after about a mounth they are coming back. Why is this happening? What has cause this? How can i help this?

There is actually a condition in guinea pigs that is called "scabs around the mouth". The treatment for this condition is to clean the scabs with an antiseptic solution (prescribed by your vet) and also use a dilute solution of povidone iodine. Along with this, Panalog cream (again prescribed by the vet).

Some vets think that this is caused by a virus, but no one really knows. It could also be bacterial or fungal.

Of course, though, I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. If this were my case and my clients could afford it I would be recommending biopsies of the affected skin. This really should tell us what it is and how to treat it.

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (175300 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (4770 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (6288 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (25293 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (8230 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (4299 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (11912 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (7984 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (9930 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (19711 views)