Guinea pig scabs around mouth.

Breed: guinea pig
My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took him to the vets twice and the vet gave me anti biotics. The scabs cleared up but after about a mounth they are coming back. Why is this happening? What has cause this? How can i help this?

There is actually a condition in guinea pigs that is called "scabs around the mouth". The treatment for this condition is to clean the scabs with an antiseptic solution (prescribed by your vet) and also use a dilute solution of povidone iodine. Along with this, Panalog cream (again prescribed by the vet).

Some vets think that this is caused by a virus, but no one really knows. It could also be bacterial or fungal.

Of course, though, I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. If this were my case and my clients could afford it I would be recommending biopsies of the affected skin. This really should tell us what it is and how to treat it.

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (31906 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (19548 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (8079 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (7977 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (5652 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11622 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (11809 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19532 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (6246 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9205 views)