Guinea pig scabs around mouth.

Breed: guinea pig
My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took him to the vets twice and the vet gave me anti biotics. The scabs cleared up but after about a mounth they are coming back. Why is this happening? What has cause this? How can i help this?

There is actually a condition in guinea pigs that is called "scabs around the mouth". The treatment for this condition is to clean the scabs with an antiseptic solution (prescribed by your vet) and also use a dilute solution of povidone iodine. Along with this, Panalog cream (again prescribed by the vet).

Some vets think that this is caused by a virus, but no one really knows. It could also be bacterial or fungal.

Of course, though, I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. If this were my case and my clients could afford it I would be recommending biopsies of the affected skin. This really should tell us what it is and how to treat it.

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (30898 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (6744 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6397 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (23912 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (7302 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (7639 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (7366 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (13668 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (32908 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (10921 views)