Guinea pig scabs around mouth.

Breed: guinea pig
My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took him to the vets twice and the vet gave me anti biotics. The scabs cleared up but after about a mounth they are coming back. Why is this happening? What has cause this? How can i help this?

There is actually a condition in guinea pigs that is called "scabs around the mouth". The treatment for this condition is to clean the scabs with an antiseptic solution (prescribed by your vet) and also use a dilute solution of povidone iodine. Along with this, Panalog cream (again prescribed by the vet).

Some vets think that this is caused by a virus, but no one really knows. It could also be bacterial or fungal.

Of course, though, I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. If this were my case and my clients could afford it I would be recommending biopsies of the affected skin. This really should tell us what it is and how to treat it.

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (19307 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (12817 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (8281 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (13688 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (19692 views)

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (68184 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (66934 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (21105 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (31386 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (27114 views)