Possible coonhound paralysis?

Breed: Chocolate Lab
My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL surgery on back left leg. Took him to the vet today. They could see nothing on xrays, white count really active on the blood work.

He had his regular vaccines about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am wondering if it could be Coonhound Paralysis, but the vet says it starts in the back legs and moves forward. When I read the symptoms, it really sounds like Coonhound paralysis. We live in the country, but I do not know of any direct contact that he has had with raccoons. He is predominantly an inside dog. They had sent the dog home with no solutions and I cannot afford to go crazy testing. They are testing for Lyme tomorrow.

Melanie

Oh, so sorry to hear that Harry is having these problems. This sounds very worriesome.

Coonhound paralysis is a condition that can affect dogs after contact with racoon saliva (although some dogs get this without any known racoon contact.) It causes the immune system to damage the nerves so that the legs are paralyzed.

There is a theory that some dogs can get coonhound paralysis after receiving certain vaccines. The vaccines need to be what is called a recombinant vaccine. It is worthwhile asking your vet if this is possible. If so, the vet will likely contact the vaccine company and they may help you with paying for tests and treatment.

Unfortunately it is difficult to test for, but muscle biopsies sometimes give us an answer. Dogs can recover from this but it can take several weeks or even months for them to fully recover.

It is much more common for coonhound paralysis to affect the back legs, but it is still possible for a front leg to be affected.

I think the lyme test is a very good idea. Any time there is lameness in multiple limbs, lyme is a possibility.

It is also possible that there is a cellulitis (muscle infection) in the front leg. This could be the result of a bite wound or other type of penetrating injury.

Then, there are more rare conditions such as a parasite affecting the spinal cord. These can be hard to pick up without doing a bunch of expensive tests.

I really hope Harry is doing better soon!

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7318 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (8199 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (6508 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (12373 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7659 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (9080 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (158914 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (16766 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (38369 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (58228 views)