Possible coonhound paralysis?

Breed: Chocolate Lab
My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL surgery on back left leg. Took him to the vet today. They could see nothing on xrays, white count really active on the blood work.

He had his regular vaccines about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am wondering if it could be Coonhound Paralysis, but the vet says it starts in the back legs and moves forward. When I read the symptoms, it really sounds like Coonhound paralysis. We live in the country, but I do not know of any direct contact that he has had with raccoons. He is predominantly an inside dog. They had sent the dog home with no solutions and I cannot afford to go crazy testing. They are testing for Lyme tomorrow.

Melanie

Oh, so sorry to hear that Harry is having these problems. This sounds very worriesome.

Coonhound paralysis is a condition that can affect dogs after contact with racoon saliva (although some dogs get this without any known racoon contact.) It causes the immune system to damage the nerves so that the legs are paralyzed.

There is a theory that some dogs can get coonhound paralysis after receiving certain vaccines. The vaccines need to be what is called a recombinant vaccine. It is worthwhile asking your vet if this is possible. If so, the vet will likely contact the vaccine company and they may help you with paying for tests and treatment.

Unfortunately it is difficult to test for, but muscle biopsies sometimes give us an answer. Dogs can recover from this but it can take several weeks or even months for them to fully recover.

It is much more common for coonhound paralysis to affect the back legs, but it is still possible for a front leg to be affected.

I think the lyme test is a very good idea. Any time there is lameness in multiple limbs, lyme is a possibility.

It is also possible that there is a cellulitis (muscle infection) in the front leg. This could be the result of a bite wound or other type of penetrating injury.

Then, there are more rare conditions such as a parasite affecting the spinal cord. These can be hard to pick up without doing a bunch of expensive tests.

I really hope Harry is doing better soon!

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (10388 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (9254 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (11197 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (35908 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (19652 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (5366 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (7558 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (8596 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (4817 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (14239 views)