Possible coonhound paralysis?

Breed: Chocolate Lab
My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL surgery on back left leg. Took him to the vet today. They could see nothing on xrays, white count really active on the blood work.

He had his regular vaccines about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am wondering if it could be Coonhound Paralysis, but the vet says it starts in the back legs and moves forward. When I read the symptoms, it really sounds like Coonhound paralysis. We live in the country, but I do not know of any direct contact that he has had with raccoons. He is predominantly an inside dog. They had sent the dog home with no solutions and I cannot afford to go crazy testing. They are testing for Lyme tomorrow.

Melanie

Oh, so sorry to hear that Harry is having these problems. This sounds very worriesome.

Coonhound paralysis is a condition that can affect dogs after contact with racoon saliva (although some dogs get this without any known racoon contact.) It causes the immune system to damage the nerves so that the legs are paralyzed.

There is a theory that some dogs can get coonhound paralysis after receiving certain vaccines. The vaccines need to be what is called a recombinant vaccine. It is worthwhile asking your vet if this is possible. If so, the vet will likely contact the vaccine company and they may help you with paying for tests and treatment.

Unfortunately it is difficult to test for, but muscle biopsies sometimes give us an answer. Dogs can recover from this but it can take several weeks or even months for them to fully recover.

It is much more common for coonhound paralysis to affect the back legs, but it is still possible for a front leg to be affected.

I think the lyme test is a very good idea. Any time there is lameness in multiple limbs, lyme is a possibility.

It is also possible that there is a cellulitis (muscle infection) in the front leg. This could be the result of a bite wound or other type of penetrating injury.

Then, there are more rare conditions such as a parasite affecting the spinal cord. These can be hard to pick up without doing a bunch of expensive tests.

I really hope Harry is doing better soon!

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (9753 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7697 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (27016 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12370 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (8703 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (13747 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8197 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (13590 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (8412 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (7878 views)