Tresaderm causing seizure?

Breed: Gray & white unknown
Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological disorder, blind, & has had kidney disease since he was a baby. He had his 1st seizure (a status epilepticus) 3 years ago, but fully recovered. Since then, he has had occasional seizures, always while he was sleeping. (He is on medication for them & he is closely monitored). Anyway, we just found out he has ear mites, so we have been giving him Tresaderm, & while giving him this medication, he has had two extremely violent seizures while putting the drops in his ears. Could the Tresaderm possibly be causing the seizures? (I heard it was a toxin). Or do you think it just may be the stress of putting the drops in his ears? My vet does not have any answers, so I hope you can help. Thanks so much in advance! ~Aly

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you little special needs kitty is having problems with Tresaderm.

I did some research for you and could not find any reported cases of Tresaderm causing seizures in cats (or dogs for that matter.)

Are you sure that what you are seeing is a seizure? Is it possible that he is just shaking his head because he doesn't like the drops? If you are certain that it is a seizure, and that it happens when he is getting the Tresaderm, one thing you might want to ask your vet to do is to have a staff member report this to Merial, the company that makes Tresaderm. They should be able to tell you whether this is a side effect that has ever been reported before.

However, as tresaderm is a topical medication I really can't see it causing seizures.

It's possible that the stress associated with the application was enough to cause a seizure. Stress can lower the seizure threshold and make seizures happen easier.

You may want to ask your vet about trying Revolution for ear mites. It is a medication that is placed on the skin on the back of the neck and is quite easy to apply. I have had good success with using it to treat ear mites.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you so much for your response. I was thinking (& hoping) exactly what you suggested...That stress brought on Grayson's seizure, not the Tresaderm. He has had seizures for years, but never while he was awake. It was definitely a seizure...It lasted a few minutes, we recorded it & showed it to our vet. He had just been hand fed & given his nightly meds, & also just had his ears cleaned, so a lot was going on with him, & he wasn't happy. As far as the Revolution, I will definitely ask my vet about it. We have to be so careful about what we give him, because he has so many illnesses. Whatever he is not allergic to usually makes him sick. He is definitely a very special, "special-needs" kitty & we do everything we can for him.
Again, thanks so much for responding...I appreciate it!
~Aly

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22844 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (29319 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (22267 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (27979 views)

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (11751 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (11344 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (18705 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (12481 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (11588 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (10397 views)