Dental cleaning extend dog's life?

Breed: Pug
My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor (front bottom row middle right). He does not appear to be in any pain or discomfort. He eats regularly, chews bones, treats, etc. His food consists only of hard dog food.

My Vet examined him for about 5 seconds and, wouldn't you know it, declared him to have major plaque and in need of a deep tooth cleaning.

I have had dogs my whole life and have never seen whiter teeth and less plaque on a dog. Yet every time I visit the Vet, a deep tooth cleaning under anesthesia is what is recommended. Dogs seemed to live okay before this advance in canine dentistry.

Because I feel pushed to have this procedure done every time I visit the Vet, with either of my two dogs, I find myself second guessing my vet on everything. This is unfortunate.

Obviously, there are great benefits to having healthy clean teeth. No one would dispute that. My dog is young and his teeth look healthy. Is there any evidence that you know of that this procedure extends a dog's life? That's my broad question-complaint.

My specific question is whether I am risking great harm by letting the tooth stay as it is and naturally fall out? or should it be immediately extracted? Or maybe a wait and see approach? It doesn't look to be infected.

Thank you in advance.

I can understand your frustration at being told your dog needs an expensive procedure each time he sees the vet. I feel the same way quite often when I take my car to the garage. I am always worried that I am being taken advantage of and that perhaps the extra work that is recommended is not absolutely necessary.

I can tell you though that pretty much every animal I see over the age of 2 really should have their teeth cleaned under an anesthetic. Think about how our teeth feel if we go a day or two without brushing. Now, imagine several years without brushing...they would be in very rough shape! We can't always see evidence of this on a quick glance, but by the time we see large chunks of tartar and periodontal disease then a lot of harm has been done.

I spent a lot of time producing this answer to your question. One of the main goals of my website is to provide actual factual information as opposed to just regurgitating what is commonly believed. So, I found some journal articles for you that will hopefully help.

This study showed that periodontal disease made dogs more likely to have kidney disease.

This study showed the same thing and also that the more periodontal disease a dog has, the more likely they are to have heart disease.

This article showed that the amount of dental disease a dog has can correlate to disease in the heart, kidneys and liver.

There are also studies that show that dental disease can cause problems with the lungs, can cause a dog to be more likely to develop diabetes. There is also a study that shows that dogs who have regular dental cleanings respond better to chemotherapy treatments than dogs with periodontal disease.

The other factor is your dog's discomfort. Dogs will not show us if they have dental pain unless the pain is REALLY bad. Regular dental cleanings are the only way to thoroughly assess and clean the teeth.

Now, with all of this being said, when I see a wiggly incisor, I don't usually call that a dental emergency unless there is obvious pain when the tooth is handled. Most likely if this were my case I would recommend having the teeth cleaned within the next few months and then that incisor could be removed.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if you have more.

Thank you. If my own Vet had bothered to explain it the same way I would have already had the procedure.

She couldn't even exam his mouth more than 3-4 seconds given how nervous he was. I can barely get in there myself. The only way to know what is happening inside, is as you say, to take a thorough look while the dog is under anesthesia.

I'll take him in for the cleaning and, if they find it necessary at that point, the extraction as well. Now, to find a Vet that I trust to do it...

Thank you for your advice again and for the links to the study's!

I can totally relate to your situation! It's very hard to examine the mouth of some dogs. But it really sounds like it's time for a cleaning and a good exam.

Hope all goes well!

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (8535 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (13128 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (51109 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (13619 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (38848 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (3837 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (6088 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (4983 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (12819 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (7366 views)