Spinning on bum.

Breed: jack russell
my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins slowly around. When i try to press gentle on each side of her vaginal area she tries to bite and it seems to be very painful to her.

Sorry to hear that Lucy is feeling uncomfortable.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms that you are describing.

My first thought is that this may be a problem with her anal glands. These little sacs sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid and debris. When they are full they are quite uncomfortable and will often cause the dog to scoot, drag her bum on the ground or do other unusual things in order to try to get relief.

If the glands are full I always recommend having a vet empty them. However, there are some dogs that will allow their owners to do it. It's not easy though! Here is a tutorial on how to express anal glands.

It is also possible that Lucy has a problem with the skin around her vulva. Some dogs can get a skin infection in this area. This is known as a perivulvar dermatitis. If this is the case, then most dogs will need medicine prescribed by a vet in order to get relief. A dog may get some temporary relief by applying a hydrocortisone cream to this area. However, this is usually not a long term solution as it won't get rid of any infection that is there.

I hope she is feeling better soon!

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (5114 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (12965 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (7046 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (26893 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (6470 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (21308 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (43741 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (17540 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (13544 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (15696 views)