Spinning on bum.

Breed: jack russell
my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins slowly around. When i try to press gentle on each side of her vaginal area she tries to bite and it seems to be very painful to her.

Sorry to hear that Lucy is feeling uncomfortable.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms that you are describing.

My first thought is that this may be a problem with her anal glands. These little sacs sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid and debris. When they are full they are quite uncomfortable and will often cause the dog to scoot, drag her bum on the ground or do other unusual things in order to try to get relief.

If the glands are full I always recommend having a vet empty them. However, there are some dogs that will allow their owners to do it. It's not easy though! Here is a tutorial on how to express anal glands.

It is also possible that Lucy has a problem with the skin around her vulva. Some dogs can get a skin infection in this area. This is known as a perivulvar dermatitis. If this is the case, then most dogs will need medicine prescribed by a vet in order to get relief. A dog may get some temporary relief by applying a hydrocortisone cream to this area. However, this is usually not a long term solution as it won't get rid of any infection that is there.

I hope she is feeling better soon!

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (14207 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (154542 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (7589 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (4431 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (9740 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (10646 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (5036 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9092 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (33977 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (4369 views)