Spinning on bum.

Breed: jack russell
my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins slowly around. When i try to press gentle on each side of her vaginal area she tries to bite and it seems to be very painful to her.

Sorry to hear that Lucy is feeling uncomfortable.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms that you are describing.

My first thought is that this may be a problem with her anal glands. These little sacs sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid and debris. When they are full they are quite uncomfortable and will often cause the dog to scoot, drag her bum on the ground or do other unusual things in order to try to get relief.

If the glands are full I always recommend having a vet empty them. However, there are some dogs that will allow their owners to do it. It's not easy though! Here is a tutorial on how to express anal glands.

It is also possible that Lucy has a problem with the skin around her vulva. Some dogs can get a skin infection in this area. This is known as a perivulvar dermatitis. If this is the case, then most dogs will need medicine prescribed by a vet in order to get relief. A dog may get some temporary relief by applying a hydrocortisone cream to this area. However, this is usually not a long term solution as it won't get rid of any infection that is there.

I hope she is feeling better soon!

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (13318 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (10377 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (18866 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (8249 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (22178 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (10485 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (8061 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (6995 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (15908 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (31786 views)