Spinning on bum.

Breed: jack russell
my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins slowly around. When i try to press gentle on each side of her vaginal area she tries to bite and it seems to be very painful to her.

Sorry to hear that Lucy is feeling uncomfortable.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms that you are describing.

My first thought is that this may be a problem with her anal glands. These little sacs sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid and debris. When they are full they are quite uncomfortable and will often cause the dog to scoot, drag her bum on the ground or do other unusual things in order to try to get relief.

If the glands are full I always recommend having a vet empty them. However, there are some dogs that will allow their owners to do it. It's not easy though! Here is a tutorial on how to express anal glands.

It is also possible that Lucy has a problem with the skin around her vulva. Some dogs can get a skin infection in this area. This is known as a perivulvar dermatitis. If this is the case, then most dogs will need medicine prescribed by a vet in order to get relief. A dog may get some temporary relief by applying a hydrocortisone cream to this area. However, this is usually not a long term solution as it won't get rid of any infection that is there.

I hope she is feeling better soon!

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (83852 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (10277 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (54648 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (22787 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (18847 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6515 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (13953 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (14783 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (15890 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (42476 views)