Lump on my dog.

Breed: Border-Collie Shephe
Hello Dr. Marie,

I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you scanning through questions that you've hopefully stopped at mine.

My boyfriend & I adopted Shreddy roughly two years ago from a family with one too many dogs and too little space. He had all of his shots and his papers of proof. After a while had passed I noticed he had a lump on his chest a bit smaller than a golf ball. Dog breeder friends of ours told us it was probably just a fat deposit and not to worry about it. Shreddy has now come up with yet another lump on the left side just next to his manliness. Please respond with any possibilities of what it could be- my brain keeps thinking cancer

It's really hard to talk about lumps without being able to feel them and see them.

It is really common for dogs who develop fat deposits (lipomas) to develop more. The only way to know for sure though is to have your vet do a fine needle aspirate test on it.

Most cancerous lumps tend to be very hard in texture, irregular in shape and often will look "angry" - i.e. red/purple.

It's probably best to have your vet take a look just to put your mind at ease.

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (7788 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (67214 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (12179 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (7520 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (22316 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (5322 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (16663 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (12479 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (46411 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (7338 views)