Constipation or megacolon?

Breed: Domestic s/h
We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5 lactulose 2x daily along with Hill's prescription diet w/d. My vet says its idiopathic constipation but reading about your article sounds like undiagnosed mega colon. We give her enemas at home usually weekly but she still requires the "deep" enemas several times a year at the vet. We don't seem to have this under control. What is the difference in mega colon treatment vs what we are doing for constipation? My vet doesn't seem to think there is anything else that we could try. He has done X-rays to see the impaction. Seems like we are treating the symptoms not preventing them from reoccurring. Shes is an adorable family member and hate to know she is always in discomfort. Thank you for any suggestions and directions you can give me. Cindy

Sorry to hear that Saccharin is having these problems. Constipation issues in cats can be very frustrating.

Not all cases of chronic constipation are megacolon. If she has had xrays then she probably doesn't have megacolon or else your vet would have mentioned it. Megacolon is usually very obvious because the colon look much much larger than normal. It is very obvious.

Regardless, the treatment for chronic constipation and megacolon is pretty much the same. You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of trying Royal Canin Gastro Fiber Response diet. This prescription food has a number of things in it that I have found to work better than w/d.

There are a number of other things that can possibly help. I will often put these patients on a drug called Cisapride which can help to move the intestines. Sometimes I will also prescribe Lactulose to help to soften the stools.

There is the odd case where cats with constipation issues actually have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). While most cats with IBD have diarrhea, some can have constipation. Sometimes putting the cat on a low dose of steroids can help.

I have also had success with adding very small amounts of miralax granules to the food every day.

I wouldn't do any of these treatments on your own though, but it is worthwhile to ask your vet if they believe that any of these things could possibly help for Saccharin's case.

I have had some cats where no matter what we did, the constipation issues would keep coming back. However, since we started using the Royal Canin Fiber Response, *most* cats that I put on this do really well and don't need medication. (And no, I am not paid by the company to say that.)

I hope that helps!

Thank you. I found the royal canin diet is by prescription only. I will see if that brand is available here. I appreciate your time and experience. Cindy

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (51746 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (14007 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (10796 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (12551 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (17193 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (48905 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (13125 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (32238 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (12754 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (8647 views)