Constipation or megacolon?

Breed: Domestic s/h
We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5 lactulose 2x daily along with Hill's prescription diet w/d. My vet says its idiopathic constipation but reading about your article sounds like undiagnosed mega colon. We give her enemas at home usually weekly but she still requires the "deep" enemas several times a year at the vet. We don't seem to have this under control. What is the difference in mega colon treatment vs what we are doing for constipation? My vet doesn't seem to think there is anything else that we could try. He has done X-rays to see the impaction. Seems like we are treating the symptoms not preventing them from reoccurring. Shes is an adorable family member and hate to know she is always in discomfort. Thank you for any suggestions and directions you can give me. Cindy

Sorry to hear that Saccharin is having these problems. Constipation issues in cats can be very frustrating.

Not all cases of chronic constipation are megacolon. If she has had xrays then she probably doesn't have megacolon or else your vet would have mentioned it. Megacolon is usually very obvious because the colon look much much larger than normal. It is very obvious.

Regardless, the treatment for chronic constipation and megacolon is pretty much the same. You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of trying Royal Canin Gastro Fiber Response diet. This prescription food has a number of things in it that I have found to work better than w/d.

There are a number of other things that can possibly help. I will often put these patients on a drug called Cisapride which can help to move the intestines. Sometimes I will also prescribe Lactulose to help to soften the stools.

There is the odd case where cats with constipation issues actually have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). While most cats with IBD have diarrhea, some can have constipation. Sometimes putting the cat on a low dose of steroids can help.

I have also had success with adding very small amounts of miralax granules to the food every day.

I wouldn't do any of these treatments on your own though, but it is worthwhile to ask your vet if they believe that any of these things could possibly help for Saccharin's case.

I have had some cats where no matter what we did, the constipation issues would keep coming back. However, since we started using the Royal Canin Fiber Response, *most* cats that I put on this do really well and don't need medication. (And no, I am not paid by the company to say that.)

I hope that helps!

Thank you. I found the royal canin diet is by prescription only. I will see if that brand is available here. I appreciate your time and experience. Cindy

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (13635 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (11529 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (30382 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (16985 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (23777 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (6086 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (16711 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (12489 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (13422 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (12730 views)