Constipation or megacolon?

Breed: Domestic s/h
We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5 lactulose 2x daily along with Hill's prescription diet w/d. My vet says its idiopathic constipation but reading about your article sounds like undiagnosed mega colon. We give her enemas at home usually weekly but she still requires the "deep" enemas several times a year at the vet. We don't seem to have this under control. What is the difference in mega colon treatment vs what we are doing for constipation? My vet doesn't seem to think there is anything else that we could try. He has done X-rays to see the impaction. Seems like we are treating the symptoms not preventing them from reoccurring. Shes is an adorable family member and hate to know she is always in discomfort. Thank you for any suggestions and directions you can give me. Cindy

Sorry to hear that Saccharin is having these problems. Constipation issues in cats can be very frustrating.

Not all cases of chronic constipation are megacolon. If she has had xrays then she probably doesn't have megacolon or else your vet would have mentioned it. Megacolon is usually very obvious because the colon look much much larger than normal. It is very obvious.

Regardless, the treatment for chronic constipation and megacolon is pretty much the same. You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of trying Royal Canin Gastro Fiber Response diet. This prescription food has a number of things in it that I have found to work better than w/d.

There are a number of other things that can possibly help. I will often put these patients on a drug called Cisapride which can help to move the intestines. Sometimes I will also prescribe Lactulose to help to soften the stools.

There is the odd case where cats with constipation issues actually have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). While most cats with IBD have diarrhea, some can have constipation. Sometimes putting the cat on a low dose of steroids can help.

I have also had success with adding very small amounts of miralax granules to the food every day.

I wouldn't do any of these treatments on your own though, but it is worthwhile to ask your vet if they believe that any of these things could possibly help for Saccharin's case.

I have had some cats where no matter what we did, the constipation issues would keep coming back. However, since we started using the Royal Canin Fiber Response, *most* cats that I put on this do really well and don't need medication. (And no, I am not paid by the company to say that.)

I hope that helps!

Thank you. I found the royal canin diet is by prescription only. I will see if that brand is available here. I appreciate your time and experience. Cindy

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (12652 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (5248 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (4508 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (41568 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (12041 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (23335 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (9823 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11671 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8066 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (8901 views)