Constipation or megacolon?

Breed: Domestic s/h
We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5 lactulose 2x daily along with Hill's prescription diet w/d. My vet says its idiopathic constipation but reading about your article sounds like undiagnosed mega colon. We give her enemas at home usually weekly but she still requires the "deep" enemas several times a year at the vet. We don't seem to have this under control. What is the difference in mega colon treatment vs what we are doing for constipation? My vet doesn't seem to think there is anything else that we could try. He has done X-rays to see the impaction. Seems like we are treating the symptoms not preventing them from reoccurring. Shes is an adorable family member and hate to know she is always in discomfort. Thank you for any suggestions and directions you can give me. Cindy

Sorry to hear that Saccharin is having these problems. Constipation issues in cats can be very frustrating.

Not all cases of chronic constipation are megacolon. If she has had xrays then she probably doesn't have megacolon or else your vet would have mentioned it. Megacolon is usually very obvious because the colon look much much larger than normal. It is very obvious.

Regardless, the treatment for chronic constipation and megacolon is pretty much the same. You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of trying Royal Canin Gastro Fiber Response diet. This prescription food has a number of things in it that I have found to work better than w/d.

There are a number of other things that can possibly help. I will often put these patients on a drug called Cisapride which can help to move the intestines. Sometimes I will also prescribe Lactulose to help to soften the stools.

There is the odd case where cats with constipation issues actually have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). While most cats with IBD have diarrhea, some can have constipation. Sometimes putting the cat on a low dose of steroids can help.

I have also had success with adding very small amounts of miralax granules to the food every day.

I wouldn't do any of these treatments on your own though, but it is worthwhile to ask your vet if they believe that any of these things could possibly help for Saccharin's case.

I have had some cats where no matter what we did, the constipation issues would keep coming back. However, since we started using the Royal Canin Fiber Response, *most* cats that I put on this do really well and don't need medication. (And no, I am not paid by the company to say that.)

I hope that helps!

Thank you. I found the royal canin diet is by prescription only. I will see if that brand is available here. I appreciate your time and experience. Cindy

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14875 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10406 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (6902 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (10360 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (11174 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (21960 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (52501 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (7849 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (9109 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (14984 views)