1 month puppy can't poop.

Breed: Chihuahua
She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving it more water and less milk last 12 hours, giving it exercise 2 times daily. It has moved to new environment last 3 days, causing it stress. What other action can we take considering we live in countryside of Guatemala with limited resources ?

Sorry to hear that your puppy is not well. I have a few questions for you:

• How old is she?

• Is she trying to poop and nothing is coming out? Or have you just not seen any stool?

• Has she had any diarrhea prior to this?

• How is her appetite?

• Is she still quite happy or does she look tired and sick?

She is one month old. She tries to poop but nothing happens. She has pooped a little since originally sending message; soft but not diarrhea. She has not had diarrhea in the past. She sleeps a lot, but not sickly. She is very active when awake.

Thanks for that information. It is really uncommon to see a puppy this young have constipation. It is far more common to actually see diarrhea. In some cases, the diarrhea can look like constipation because the puppy is straining to defecate and not producing anything.

We do occasionally see puppies that are born with anal defects that can make it difficult for them to poop. These can often be corrected with surgery. However, you likely would have noticed something before now if this was the case.

This is going to be a tough one to advise you on how to treat at home because really there are many different possible causes and treatments for this type of issue. If your puppy were in my office I would be running a test for parasites. If deworming products are available to you in Guatemala then it's not a bad idea to give her a dose of regular puppy dewormer and then repeat it again in 10-14 days.

It's also possible that there is a virus present. It is important to keep encouraging her to drink and eat.

I'm a little bit at a loss as to what else to tell you as it really sounds like this puppy needs to see a veterinarian.

I really hope things improve soon.

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (5280 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (12427 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (3705 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (7419 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (31948 views)

Cat hardly eating. my cat has recemtly been in the catery. since returning she has hardly eaten and is... (8476 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (6075 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (5434 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (17360 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (7742 views)