1 month puppy can't poop.

Breed: Chihuahua
She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving it more water and less milk last 12 hours, giving it exercise 2 times daily. It has moved to new environment last 3 days, causing it stress. What other action can we take considering we live in countryside of Guatemala with limited resources ?

Sorry to hear that your puppy is not well. I have a few questions for you:

• How old is she?

• Is she trying to poop and nothing is coming out? Or have you just not seen any stool?

• Has she had any diarrhea prior to this?

• How is her appetite?

• Is she still quite happy or does she look tired and sick?

She is one month old. She tries to poop but nothing happens. She has pooped a little since originally sending message; soft but not diarrhea. She has not had diarrhea in the past. She sleeps a lot, but not sickly. She is very active when awake.

Thanks for that information. It is really uncommon to see a puppy this young have constipation. It is far more common to actually see diarrhea. In some cases, the diarrhea can look like constipation because the puppy is straining to defecate and not producing anything.

We do occasionally see puppies that are born with anal defects that can make it difficult for them to poop. These can often be corrected with surgery. However, you likely would have noticed something before now if this was the case.

This is going to be a tough one to advise you on how to treat at home because really there are many different possible causes and treatments for this type of issue. If your puppy were in my office I would be running a test for parasites. If deworming products are available to you in Guatemala then it's not a bad idea to give her a dose of regular puppy dewormer and then repeat it again in 10-14 days.

It's also possible that there is a virus present. It is important to keep encouraging her to drink and eat.

I'm a little bit at a loss as to what else to tell you as it really sounds like this puppy needs to see a veterinarian.

I really hope things improve soon.

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6946 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (16630 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (14444 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (11080 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (12902 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (11739 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (19450 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (12034 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (13513 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (17716 views)