1 month puppy can't poop.

Breed: Chihuahua
She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving it more water and less milk last 12 hours, giving it exercise 2 times daily. It has moved to new environment last 3 days, causing it stress. What other action can we take considering we live in countryside of Guatemala with limited resources ?

Sorry to hear that your puppy is not well. I have a few questions for you:

• How old is she?

• Is she trying to poop and nothing is coming out? Or have you just not seen any stool?

• Has she had any diarrhea prior to this?

• How is her appetite?

• Is she still quite happy or does she look tired and sick?

She is one month old. She tries to poop but nothing happens. She has pooped a little since originally sending message; soft but not diarrhea. She has not had diarrhea in the past. She sleeps a lot, but not sickly. She is very active when awake.

Thanks for that information. It is really uncommon to see a puppy this young have constipation. It is far more common to actually see diarrhea. In some cases, the diarrhea can look like constipation because the puppy is straining to defecate and not producing anything.

We do occasionally see puppies that are born with anal defects that can make it difficult for them to poop. These can often be corrected with surgery. However, you likely would have noticed something before now if this was the case.

This is going to be a tough one to advise you on how to treat at home because really there are many different possible causes and treatments for this type of issue. If your puppy were in my office I would be running a test for parasites. If deworming products are available to you in Guatemala then it's not a bad idea to give her a dose of regular puppy dewormer and then repeat it again in 10-14 days.

It's also possible that there is a virus present. It is important to keep encouraging her to drink and eat.

I'm a little bit at a loss as to what else to tell you as it really sounds like this puppy needs to see a veterinarian.

I really hope things improve soon.

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (12417 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6283 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (43837 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (13752 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (22468 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (7915 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (6947 views)

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (16510 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (15932 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (24483 views)