1 month puppy can't poop.

Breed: Chihuahua
She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving it more water and less milk last 12 hours, giving it exercise 2 times daily. It has moved to new environment last 3 days, causing it stress. What other action can we take considering we live in countryside of Guatemala with limited resources ?

Sorry to hear that your puppy is not well. I have a few questions for you:

• How old is she?

• Is she trying to poop and nothing is coming out? Or have you just not seen any stool?

• Has she had any diarrhea prior to this?

• How is her appetite?

• Is she still quite happy or does she look tired and sick?

She is one month old. She tries to poop but nothing happens. She has pooped a little since originally sending message; soft but not diarrhea. She has not had diarrhea in the past. She sleeps a lot, but not sickly. She is very active when awake.

Thanks for that information. It is really uncommon to see a puppy this young have constipation. It is far more common to actually see diarrhea. In some cases, the diarrhea can look like constipation because the puppy is straining to defecate and not producing anything.

We do occasionally see puppies that are born with anal defects that can make it difficult for them to poop. These can often be corrected with surgery. However, you likely would have noticed something before now if this was the case.

This is going to be a tough one to advise you on how to treat at home because really there are many different possible causes and treatments for this type of issue. If your puppy were in my office I would be running a test for parasites. If deworming products are available to you in Guatemala then it's not a bad idea to give her a dose of regular puppy dewormer and then repeat it again in 10-14 days.

It's also possible that there is a virus present. It is important to keep encouraging her to drink and eat.

I'm a little bit at a loss as to what else to tell you as it really sounds like this puppy needs to see a veterinarian.

I really hope things improve soon.

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (18205 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (4114 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (7065 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (7105 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (14245 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (15758 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (5729 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (16133 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (18659 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (14863 views)