Cracked Toe Nail.

Breed: Yorkiepoo
My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I can do at home to treat this & not take him to the vet??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Charlie's nail.

Sometimes it is possible to hold on to the torn part of the nail and pull it off. However, this can often be painful, so if you are not comfortable attempting this then it is best to have your vet take a look.

Often we will bandage the foot to keep the dog from hurting himself by banging the nail on things.

If you are noticing a discharge from the nail or if the nail bed is looking increasingly more red then it is possible that there is a nail bed infection.

If things are not improving your vet will be able to help him feel better quite quickly.

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (34558 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (14989 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (17830 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (22884 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (22698 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (27395 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (19323 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (9827 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (13194 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (6027 views)