Cracked Toe Nail.

Breed: Yorkiepoo
My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I can do at home to treat this & not take him to the vet??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Charlie's nail.

Sometimes it is possible to hold on to the torn part of the nail and pull it off. However, this can often be painful, so if you are not comfortable attempting this then it is best to have your vet take a look.

Often we will bandage the foot to keep the dog from hurting himself by banging the nail on things.

If you are noticing a discharge from the nail or if the nail bed is looking increasingly more red then it is possible that there is a nail bed infection.

If things are not improving your vet will be able to help him feel better quite quickly.

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (10927 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6547 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5499 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5124 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (10662 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (10597 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (11292 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11042 views)

Getting a second dog. We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got... (7554 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (9201 views)