Cracked Toe Nail.

Breed: Yorkiepoo
My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I can do at home to treat this & not take him to the vet??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Charlie's nail.

Sometimes it is possible to hold on to the torn part of the nail and pull it off. However, this can often be painful, so if you are not comfortable attempting this then it is best to have your vet take a look.

Often we will bandage the foot to keep the dog from hurting himself by banging the nail on things.

If you are noticing a discharge from the nail or if the nail bed is looking increasingly more red then it is possible that there is a nail bed infection.

If things are not improving your vet will be able to help him feel better quite quickly.

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (11260 views)

Tumor on spinal cord. My dog is diagnosed with cancer. An NMR has been done. The tumor is affecting his... (6688 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (36448 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (8608 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (33006 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (11425 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (14861 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (16040 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (9290 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (14903 views)