Cracked Toe Nail.

Breed: Yorkiepoo
My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I can do at home to treat this & not take him to the vet??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Charlie's nail.

Sometimes it is possible to hold on to the torn part of the nail and pull it off. However, this can often be painful, so if you are not comfortable attempting this then it is best to have your vet take a look.

Often we will bandage the foot to keep the dog from hurting himself by banging the nail on things.

If you are noticing a discharge from the nail or if the nail bed is looking increasingly more red then it is possible that there is a nail bed infection.

If things are not improving your vet will be able to help him feel better quite quickly.

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (7032 views)

Pregnancy test for dogs? How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think... (18820 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (7366 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (14895 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8803 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (23098 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (18113 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (89887 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (10832 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (14774 views)