Cracked Toe Nail.

Breed: Yorkiepoo
My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I can do at home to treat this & not take him to the vet??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Charlie's nail.

Sometimes it is possible to hold on to the torn part of the nail and pull it off. However, this can often be painful, so if you are not comfortable attempting this then it is best to have your vet take a look.

Often we will bandage the foot to keep the dog from hurting himself by banging the nail on things.

If you are noticing a discharge from the nail or if the nail bed is looking increasingly more red then it is possible that there is a nail bed infection.

If things are not improving your vet will be able to help him feel better quite quickly.

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9859 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7515 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (72012 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4446 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (15857 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (11926 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (6965 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10282 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (18640 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8526 views)