Laryngeal paralysis.

Breed: Yellow "sweet" lab
Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now. It sounds like what you've described in your explanation of laryngeal paralysis. She over the last 2 days has got worse. Her labored breathing used to only happen when she got excited. Now its getting bad. So bad that she salivates REALLY bad. Last night when I took her out to go the bathroom, she had a breathing attack and it seemedthrsr as though she had trouble going #2. This morning it was just as bad but more uncontrollable for her. Usually these attacks are due to her getting excited but, now they come out of no where. I'm WORRIED. What will eventually happen Dr.? Is she nearing the end now? Is she suffering when she has these attacks? I don't want to put her down... she's my best friend... please help me.. I hope you reply quickly ... Thank you Jack Terris

Hi Jack,

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having trouble breathing. While I can't say for certain if this is laryngeal paralysis, LP is definitely common in older labs.

There are a few possible outcomes for a dog with laryngeal paralysis. I have seen some cases where the breathing just became gradually more and more labored until the owner of the pet decided that it was time for euthanasia.

However, I have had other cases where the dog has been rushed into the hospital on an emergency basis because they simply could not breathe. These are very traumatic situations. The dogs are very uncomfortable when this happens. It seems to me that they are quite panicked because they are struggling to breathe and then the panicking makes things worse.

There are some things that can be done for laryngeal paralysis. There is a surgery that can open up the larynx. However, the surgery is expensive and comes with risks.

I will sometimes put dogs with laryngeal paralysis on a medication to open up their airways. It helps a little bit but not usually dramatically.

Your vet can help you make the decision as to when it is time for euthanasia. But, I think we need to prepare ourselves. If she is having more of these attacks frequently then it is not fair on her to keep letting her have them.

I wish I had better news. :(

Thank you Dr. Marie... I made an appointment for Jess for tomorrow morning. The "attacks" are more frequent now. Yes, I've prepared but how do I prepare to lose my best friend? Thank you for everything. Pray for my Jessie bear .. Jack

I know this is hard...but you are doing the best thing for Jessie. Your vet will help you with making this decision if you have any doubts. My philosophy has always been that if one of my pets has a condition that is making them very uncomfortable and it is extremely unlikely that that condition is going to get better, then it is time to say goodbye.

I pray for peace for you.

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (4857 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (13581 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (10235 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (24540 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (21406 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (17715 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (8042 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (17291 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (4381 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (4989 views)