Laryngeal paralysis.

Breed: Yellow "sweet" lab
Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now. It sounds like what you've described in your explanation of laryngeal paralysis. She over the last 2 days has got worse. Her labored breathing used to only happen when she got excited. Now its getting bad. So bad that she salivates REALLY bad. Last night when I took her out to go the bathroom, she had a breathing attack and it seemedthrsr as though she had trouble going #2. This morning it was just as bad but more uncontrollable for her. Usually these attacks are due to her getting excited but, now they come out of no where. I'm WORRIED. What will eventually happen Dr.? Is she nearing the end now? Is she suffering when she has these attacks? I don't want to put her down... she's my best friend... please help me.. I hope you reply quickly ... Thank you Jack Terris

Hi Jack,

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having trouble breathing. While I can't say for certain if this is laryngeal paralysis, LP is definitely common in older labs.

There are a few possible outcomes for a dog with laryngeal paralysis. I have seen some cases where the breathing just became gradually more and more labored until the owner of the pet decided that it was time for euthanasia.

However, I have had other cases where the dog has been rushed into the hospital on an emergency basis because they simply could not breathe. These are very traumatic situations. The dogs are very uncomfortable when this happens. It seems to me that they are quite panicked because they are struggling to breathe and then the panicking makes things worse.

There are some things that can be done for laryngeal paralysis. There is a surgery that can open up the larynx. However, the surgery is expensive and comes with risks.

I will sometimes put dogs with laryngeal paralysis on a medication to open up their airways. It helps a little bit but not usually dramatically.

Your vet can help you make the decision as to when it is time for euthanasia. But, I think we need to prepare ourselves. If she is having more of these attacks frequently then it is not fair on her to keep letting her have them.

I wish I had better news. :(

Thank you Dr. Marie... I made an appointment for Jess for tomorrow morning. The "attacks" are more frequent now. Yes, I've prepared but how do I prepare to lose my best friend? Thank you for everything. Pray for my Jessie bear .. Jack

I know this is hard...but you are doing the best thing for Jessie. Your vet will help you with making this decision if you have any doubts. My philosophy has always been that if one of my pets has a condition that is making them very uncomfortable and it is extremely unlikely that that condition is going to get better, then it is time to say goodbye.

I pray for peace for you.

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (7793 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (15901 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (14810 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (7964 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (16437 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (7682 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (9496 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (13095 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (12214 views)

Cat is whiney when peeing my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the... (4907 views)