Laryngeal paralysis.

Breed: Yellow "sweet" lab
Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now. It sounds like what you've described in your explanation of laryngeal paralysis. She over the last 2 days has got worse. Her labored breathing used to only happen when she got excited. Now its getting bad. So bad that she salivates REALLY bad. Last night when I took her out to go the bathroom, she had a breathing attack and it seemedthrsr as though she had trouble going #2. This morning it was just as bad but more uncontrollable for her. Usually these attacks are due to her getting excited but, now they come out of no where. I'm WORRIED. What will eventually happen Dr.? Is she nearing the end now? Is she suffering when she has these attacks? I don't want to put her down... she's my best friend... please help me.. I hope you reply quickly ... Thank you Jack Terris

Hi Jack,

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having trouble breathing. While I can't say for certain if this is laryngeal paralysis, LP is definitely common in older labs.

There are a few possible outcomes for a dog with laryngeal paralysis. I have seen some cases where the breathing just became gradually more and more labored until the owner of the pet decided that it was time for euthanasia.

However, I have had other cases where the dog has been rushed into the hospital on an emergency basis because they simply could not breathe. These are very traumatic situations. The dogs are very uncomfortable when this happens. It seems to me that they are quite panicked because they are struggling to breathe and then the panicking makes things worse.

There are some things that can be done for laryngeal paralysis. There is a surgery that can open up the larynx. However, the surgery is expensive and comes with risks.

I will sometimes put dogs with laryngeal paralysis on a medication to open up their airways. It helps a little bit but not usually dramatically.

Your vet can help you make the decision as to when it is time for euthanasia. But, I think we need to prepare ourselves. If she is having more of these attacks frequently then it is not fair on her to keep letting her have them.

I wish I had better news. :(

Thank you Dr. Marie... I made an appointment for Jess for tomorrow morning. The "attacks" are more frequent now. Yes, I've prepared but how do I prepare to lose my best friend? Thank you for everything. Pray for my Jessie bear .. Jack

I know this is hard...but you are doing the best thing for Jessie. Your vet will help you with making this decision if you have any doubts. My philosophy has always been that if one of my pets has a condition that is making them very uncomfortable and it is extremely unlikely that that condition is going to get better, then it is time to say goodbye.

I pray for peace for you.

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (10606 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (26005 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (34262 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (4104 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (15643 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (11092 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (29162 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (27827 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (4172 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (23448 views)