Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

15 year old dog with kidney failure.

Species: Dog
Breed: Rat Terrier
Age: More than 15 ye
My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work, did an ultrasound of her abdomen, x-rays, exam. He said she had kidney failure and would need IV fluids and then take meds twice a day for the rest of her life. He did not know what was causing the GI bleeding, stated her abdomen did not look good on ultrasound, and though she may also have lymphoma. This was a shock. He said if we treated her she may have 'several years' left. She seemed so healthy two days before. She had decreased appetite which we attributed to aging (in error probably) and changed her food until she ate again. She was 15 years and 5 months old. I have had bad experiences with promises and outcomes from two other vets, loosing two animals after they suffered through treatment, only to die soon thereafter. I did not want to see her suffer so I chose to bring her home and keep her comfortable until she passed. She died on Friday, Sept 20. Today is Monday, Sept 23, so I am still grieving and am questioning my decision in not treating her. Did I make the right decision? She ate one of my daughter's soiled feminine napkins - the ones with the product that turns into a gel when moist. Could this have been the cause of Gyppie's acute kidney failure? She was the puppy love of my life. I just need an honest opinion based on your expertise. I have read that rat terrier's life spans can be from 15-23 years. Did I deny her a longer, healthy life?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Gyppie.

I have to tell you that the first thing I thought when I saw when I read your question was that Gyppie was over 15 years of age. This is a very old age for any dog. I would definitely disagree with the idea that the average life span for a rat terrier would be between 15-23 years of age. I have not seen many dogs at all that have lived to be more than 20. And, in most cases, 15 is very elderly. While a dog *can* live longer than that, it's not the norm.

It's hard to say why Gyppie was in kidney failure but it's unlikely to be due to eating a feminine pad. A pad can cause a bowel obstruction but would not cause kidney failure. It also really shouldn't cause GI bleeding. It sounds like there was something very serious going on. It certainly could have been lymphoma, but I can think of several other possibilities as well.

From what you have described it is very unlikely that treatment would have made a huge difference. I am guessing that treatment may have bought you some time - like perhaps two extra weeks, but it's unlikely that it would be two years.

Please rest assured that you made the right decision. It sounds like you did everything that you should have been doing for Gyppie.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (40901 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (33836 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (13061 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (22763 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (16828 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (7732 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (13706 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (33081 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (19256 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (9263 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.