15 year old dog with kidney failure.

Breed: Rat Terrier
My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work, did an ultrasound of her abdomen, x-rays, exam. He said she had kidney failure and would need IV fluids and then take meds twice a day for the rest of her life. He did not know what was causing the GI bleeding, stated her abdomen did not look good on ultrasound, and though she may also have lymphoma. This was a shock. He said if we treated her she may have 'several years' left. She seemed so healthy two days before. She had decreased appetite which we attributed to aging (in error probably) and changed her food until she ate again. She was 15 years and 5 months old. I have had bad experiences with promises and outcomes from two other vets, loosing two animals after they suffered through treatment, only to die soon thereafter. I did not want to see her suffer so I chose to bring her home and keep her comfortable until she passed. She died on Friday, Sept 20. Today is Monday, Sept 23, so I am still grieving and am questioning my decision in not treating her. Did I make the right decision? She ate one of my daughter's soiled feminine napkins - the ones with the product that turns into a gel when moist. Could this have been the cause of Gyppie's acute kidney failure? She was the puppy love of my life. I just need an honest opinion based on your expertise. I have read that rat terrier's life spans can be from 15-23 years. Did I deny her a longer, healthy life?

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Gyppie.

I have to tell you that the first thing I thought when I saw when I read your question was that Gyppie was over 15 years of age. This is a very old age for any dog. I would definitely disagree with the idea that the average life span for a rat terrier would be between 15-23 years of age. I have not seen many dogs at all that have lived to be more than 20. And, in most cases, 15 is very elderly. While a dog *can* live longer than that, it's not the norm.

It's hard to say why Gyppie was in kidney failure but it's unlikely to be due to eating a feminine pad. A pad can cause a bowel obstruction but would not cause kidney failure. It also really shouldn't cause GI bleeding. It sounds like there was something very serious going on. It certainly could have been lymphoma, but I can think of several other possibilities as well.

From what you have described it is very unlikely that treatment would have made a huge difference. I am guessing that treatment may have bought you some time - like perhaps two extra weeks, but it's unlikely that it would be two years.

Please rest assured that you made the right decision. It sounds like you did everything that you should have been doing for Gyppie.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (17318 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (23022 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (10606 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (13585 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (40285 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (67209 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4513 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (5349 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (10617 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (22141 views)