Maggots in guinea pig cage.

Breed: Abbysnian
Dr. Marie,
I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem normal, and there is no rotton food in the cage... I was just wondering if there is anything I should look out for, and how should I take care of them?

Rachel

Thanks for your question!

Maggots are always there because a fly has laid eggs. Flies can lay eggs on guinea pig poop very quickly so this is probably why you are seeing maggots.

The best thing you can do is to clean your guinea pig's cage very regularly.

There are parasites that guinea pigs can get but they're not common. Guinea pigs can get roundworms like cats or dogs (but not fron cats or dogs. But, these don't look like maggots. They look like little pieces of spaghetti. Guinea pig roundworms are really rare.

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (15158 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (35804 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (167476 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (28384 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (7809 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (14599 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (13085 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4990 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (9054 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (23453 views)