Maggots in guinea pig cage.

Breed: Abbysnian
Dr. Marie,
I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem normal, and there is no rotton food in the cage... I was just wondering if there is anything I should look out for, and how should I take care of them?

Rachel

Thanks for your question!

Maggots are always there because a fly has laid eggs. Flies can lay eggs on guinea pig poop very quickly so this is probably why you are seeing maggots.

The best thing you can do is to clean your guinea pig's cage very regularly.

There are parasites that guinea pigs can get but they're not common. Guinea pigs can get roundworms like cats or dogs (but not fron cats or dogs. But, these don't look like maggots. They look like little pieces of spaghetti. Guinea pig roundworms are really rare.

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (39388 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (7630 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (20300 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (9062 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (24529 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7076 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7514 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (10523 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (33039 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9607 views)