Maggots in guinea pig cage.

Breed: Abbysnian
Dr. Marie,
I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem normal, and there is no rotton food in the cage... I was just wondering if there is anything I should look out for, and how should I take care of them?

Rachel

Thanks for your question!

Maggots are always there because a fly has laid eggs. Flies can lay eggs on guinea pig poop very quickly so this is probably why you are seeing maggots.

The best thing you can do is to clean your guinea pig's cage very regularly.

There are parasites that guinea pigs can get but they're not common. Guinea pigs can get roundworms like cats or dogs (but not fron cats or dogs. But, these don't look like maggots. They look like little pieces of spaghetti. Guinea pig roundworms are really rare.

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (18089 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (19126 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (7498 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (70514 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (62966 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (13576 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (13365 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (39968 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (13439 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (23211 views)