Maggots in guinea pig cage.

Breed: Abbysnian
Dr. Marie,
I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem normal, and there is no rotton food in the cage... I was just wondering if there is anything I should look out for, and how should I take care of them?

Rachel

Thanks for your question!

Maggots are always there because a fly has laid eggs. Flies can lay eggs on guinea pig poop very quickly so this is probably why you are seeing maggots.

The best thing you can do is to clean your guinea pig's cage very regularly.

There are parasites that guinea pigs can get but they're not common. Guinea pigs can get roundworms like cats or dogs (but not fron cats or dogs. But, these don't look like maggots. They look like little pieces of spaghetti. Guinea pig roundworms are really rare.

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11870 views)

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (8030 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (26377 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8297 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (12721 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (11842 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (6883 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (21810 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (7305 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (5045 views)