Dogs with occasional diarrhea.

Breed: German Shepherds
I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5 yrs, and both are in good health up to date on all shots and worm free. For the past year I have started making their pet food, boiled chicken and rice. I told my vet that I was going to do this and he said that was fine just to watch out and not give them too much protein.
This is how much I feed them and when, the female weighs 85lbs. and gets 2 cups of chicken and rice (about half and half) and two cups of NutroMax hard large breed dog food. The male weighs 110lbs. and gets the same amount. I feed them both once a day in the evening, I would like to do it twice a day but both dogs stay in during the day out of the heat and if I feed them in the morning before I go to work I don't think they would poo before I left.
Anyway my problem is both dogs have diarrhea and have it off and on a lot. Am I feeding them enough, is the food mixture right (should I use more chicken and less rice) I can't figure out what is upsetting their system.
Thank you for your time and I appreciate your help.

Thanks for your question. Making homemade diets for dogs is a controversial and you will see a different opinion amongst veterinarians sometimes.

I have found that it is often hard to balance a dog food properly. So, what this means is that sometimes we can be giving too much protein, fat, or different vitamins or minerals. However, if your dogs are getting a decent amount of commercial dog food along with the extra food we shouldn't have to be too concerned.

Are you feeding raw food or cooked chicken? You will read MANY things online about the benefits of a raw diet. However, I will tell you that I have often had to treat animals for diarrhea when they are on a raw food diet. Again, it's a controversial area.

Whenever I have a patient with off and on diarrhea the first thing that I recommend is a fecal exam to check for parasites.

Next, I will often do a course of 5 days of an antibiotic called metronidazole which often helps with diarrhea.

I will sometimes run a DNA diarrhea panel which looks for different types of bacterial infections and parasites that can be hard to find.

If you are not sure if it is the chicken that is causing the problem, try cutting it out for a month and see how the stools are.

I hope this helps!

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (32740 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (19372 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (8911 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (14966 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (16930 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (40065 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (12156 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (6281 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (5176 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (10388 views)