Dogs with occasional diarrhea.

Breed: German Shepherds
I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5 yrs, and both are in good health up to date on all shots and worm free. For the past year I have started making their pet food, boiled chicken and rice. I told my vet that I was going to do this and he said that was fine just to watch out and not give them too much protein.
This is how much I feed them and when, the female weighs 85lbs. and gets 2 cups of chicken and rice (about half and half) and two cups of NutroMax hard large breed dog food. The male weighs 110lbs. and gets the same amount. I feed them both once a day in the evening, I would like to do it twice a day but both dogs stay in during the day out of the heat and if I feed them in the morning before I go to work I don't think they would poo before I left.
Anyway my problem is both dogs have diarrhea and have it off and on a lot. Am I feeding them enough, is the food mixture right (should I use more chicken and less rice) I can't figure out what is upsetting their system.
Thank you for your time and I appreciate your help.

Thanks for your question. Making homemade diets for dogs is a controversial and you will see a different opinion amongst veterinarians sometimes.

I have found that it is often hard to balance a dog food properly. So, what this means is that sometimes we can be giving too much protein, fat, or different vitamins or minerals. However, if your dogs are getting a decent amount of commercial dog food along with the extra food we shouldn't have to be too concerned.

Are you feeding raw food or cooked chicken? You will read MANY things online about the benefits of a raw diet. However, I will tell you that I have often had to treat animals for diarrhea when they are on a raw food diet. Again, it's a controversial area.

Whenever I have a patient with off and on diarrhea the first thing that I recommend is a fecal exam to check for parasites.

Next, I will often do a course of 5 days of an antibiotic called metronidazole which often helps with diarrhea.

I will sometimes run a DNA diarrhea panel which looks for different types of bacterial infections and parasites that can be hard to find.

If you are not sure if it is the chicken that is causing the problem, try cutting it out for a month and see how the stools are.

I hope this helps!

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (9499 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (9668 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (10553 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (17766 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (76282 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (22148 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (9103 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (14867 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (37142 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (47997 views)