Dogs with occasional diarrhea.

Breed: German Shepherds
I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5 yrs, and both are in good health up to date on all shots and worm free. For the past year I have started making their pet food, boiled chicken and rice. I told my vet that I was going to do this and he said that was fine just to watch out and not give them too much protein.
This is how much I feed them and when, the female weighs 85lbs. and gets 2 cups of chicken and rice (about half and half) and two cups of NutroMax hard large breed dog food. The male weighs 110lbs. and gets the same amount. I feed them both once a day in the evening, I would like to do it twice a day but both dogs stay in during the day out of the heat and if I feed them in the morning before I go to work I don't think they would poo before I left.
Anyway my problem is both dogs have diarrhea and have it off and on a lot. Am I feeding them enough, is the food mixture right (should I use more chicken and less rice) I can't figure out what is upsetting their system.
Thank you for your time and I appreciate your help.

Thanks for your question. Making homemade diets for dogs is a controversial and you will see a different opinion amongst veterinarians sometimes.

I have found that it is often hard to balance a dog food properly. So, what this means is that sometimes we can be giving too much protein, fat, or different vitamins or minerals. However, if your dogs are getting a decent amount of commercial dog food along with the extra food we shouldn't have to be too concerned.

Are you feeding raw food or cooked chicken? You will read MANY things online about the benefits of a raw diet. However, I will tell you that I have often had to treat animals for diarrhea when they are on a raw food diet. Again, it's a controversial area.

Whenever I have a patient with off and on diarrhea the first thing that I recommend is a fecal exam to check for parasites.

Next, I will often do a course of 5 days of an antibiotic called metronidazole which often helps with diarrhea.

I will sometimes run a DNA diarrhea panel which looks for different types of bacterial infections and parasites that can be hard to find.

If you are not sure if it is the chicken that is causing the problem, try cutting it out for a month and see how the stools are.

I hope this helps!

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (17652 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (7538 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (5419 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (28124 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (11288 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (97937 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11599 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (11212 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10868 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (7177 views)