Bump on eye.

Breed: Australian Cattle Do
Dear Dr. Marie,

I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce. Two days ago, I noticed that he had some irritation and redness in the white portion of his left eye. Today, he now has a small, pink bump on the skin around the inside corner of his left eye (the initial redness has subsided). I'm not sure whether the two are related, but it seems oddly coincidental that both concern his left eye. Other than that, he has not been acting any differently than normal.

Do you have an idea of what this could be? Should I be alarmed? I can send you a photo if that would assist you.

Thanks for your time!

Best,
Julia

Hi Julia,

It sounds like what you are describing is Bruce's third eyelid. I'm wondering if it is just inflamed or if you are seeing something called a cherry eye. I think a photo would be very helpful. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Please know that I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet but I should be able to give you an idea as to whether you should be worried or not.

I'm heading off to bed now. (It's been a long day at the office!) But I'll check your photo and respond to you in the morning.

Thanks for the photos! I've included one here:

bump on dog's eye

It's tough to see exactly what this is, but I agree with you that this doesn't look like a cherry eye.

It looks like there is maybe a little bit of inflammation in Bruce's conjunctiva. From what you have described I wouldn't be too worried.

I would see the vet if there is green discharge from the eye, or if the reddish area is getting larger or bothersome to Bruce.

It is in theory possible to have a tumor in this area, but I can't say I have ever seen one.

I have seen some dogs that simply have a more prominent area on one eye than the other. It's possible that now that you are paying closer attention to the eyes you have noticed it.

If your gut is telling you something is wrong then I'd see the vet, but otherwise I think you're fine to watch it for now.

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (6773 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (8399 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (13856 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (6899 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (24831 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (9928 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (12540 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11002 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (34329 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (6771 views)