Bump on eye.

Breed: Australian Cattle Do
Dear Dr. Marie,

I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce. Two days ago, I noticed that he had some irritation and redness in the white portion of his left eye. Today, he now has a small, pink bump on the skin around the inside corner of his left eye (the initial redness has subsided). I'm not sure whether the two are related, but it seems oddly coincidental that both concern his left eye. Other than that, he has not been acting any differently than normal.

Do you have an idea of what this could be? Should I be alarmed? I can send you a photo if that would assist you.

Thanks for your time!

Best,
Julia

Hi Julia,

It sounds like what you are describing is Bruce's third eyelid. I'm wondering if it is just inflamed or if you are seeing something called a cherry eye. I think a photo would be very helpful. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Please know that I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet but I should be able to give you an idea as to whether you should be worried or not.

I'm heading off to bed now. (It's been a long day at the office!) But I'll check your photo and respond to you in the morning.

Thanks for the photos! I've included one here:

bump on dog's eye

It's tough to see exactly what this is, but I agree with you that this doesn't look like a cherry eye.

It looks like there is maybe a little bit of inflammation in Bruce's conjunctiva. From what you have described I wouldn't be too worried.

I would see the vet if there is green discharge from the eye, or if the reddish area is getting larger or bothersome to Bruce.

It is in theory possible to have a tumor in this area, but I can't say I have ever seen one.

I have seen some dogs that simply have a more prominent area on one eye than the other. It's possible that now that you are paying closer attention to the eyes you have noticed it.

If your gut is telling you something is wrong then I'd see the vet, but otherwise I think you're fine to watch it for now.

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (17344 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (18487 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (24777 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (38340 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (10662 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (8684 views)

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (6739 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (43825 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (12526 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (17351 views)