Is this mammary tumor cancerous?

Breed: shih tzu
We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump in her mammory area, the vet wants to remove it and said it could be a mammory tumor. he also did lab work that showed high levels of apl. a bit of her medically history includes bladder stone removal surgery in 2009, Cystocentesis performed in 2011, and more recently KCS. she is being treated with antiobiotic pulse therapy with baytril 1 week of the month since the stone removal and she also received tacrolimus compounded drops to the eye 2xs a day for the dry eye. of course I am worried about the possibility of cancer. is there anything I can do to prepare myself for what is going on with her.

It sounds like Precious has had her share of medical issues! I bet you she is a sweetheart of a dog...it seems like it is always the super nice dogs that have multiple health issues.

The good news is that the vast majority of the time when a dog has been spayed before her first heat, a mammary tumor will end up being benign.

When the vet removes the tumor, the first thing they will likely do is to cut it open. I find that sometimes what I thought was a mammary tumor is actually a lipoma which is just a fat lump and absolutely nothing to worry about.

If they are not sure about what the tumor is then they will send it away to a pathologist. The pathologist will tell you what kind of mass it is and how likely it is to be cancerous. While I don't have access to statistics that say exactly how likely this is to be cancerous, what the textbooks say is that when a dog who was spayed before her first heat has a mammary tumor it is very rare for it to be cancerous.

She will likely come through surgery with no problems at all. It is generally not a major surgery unless it was a very very large mass. Things like this usually heal quickly as well and with minimal discomfort.

I hope everything goes well!

Let me know if you have more questions!

Dr. Marie, your reply just sent a wave of calm over me! Thank you so very much for your opinion and advice!! The mass is about the size of a dime. He said it wont be nearly as evasive as the bladder stone removal, so I was pleased to hear that! Do you feel like she will need anything for pain following the surgery? And to answer your question, yes she is just as wonderful as her name suggests! She is such a friendly people loving dog, and she works great with elderly patients at the nursing home. I think she knows who needs what love and just takes to them! I have to take care of my little angel, and your response truly made my mind feel at ease. Thank you again!

I'm so glad my reply has helped. :)

I don't usually do much in the way of pain relief after removing a 1 cm lump. I usually give a 24 hour anti-inflammatory injection and that seems to do the trick. However, there is no harm in asking your vet for a few days of a pain reliever just to be sure. Ultimately your vet will be the best judge of whether or not it is necessary.

Hope all goes well!

Dr Marie, I had to follow up with my question to let you know that you were 110 percent correct! My vet told me that it appears to be a fatty lump, and nothing to concerning. He is sending to the lab anyway however. I am feeling much better today, and she even got her toofies cleaned!! She got a shot for pain, antibiotic and inflammation just like you said. Thank you again for helping calm my nerves with your experience and knowledge, I really appreciate it! Precious sends you sweet shih tzu kisses!

Thanks for the update! It sounds like Precious is in excellent hands!

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13455 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (11505 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (12340 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (18009 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (11748 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (14362 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (7312 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (11280 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (36715 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (19854 views)