Retrobulbar abscess

Breed: Border Collie
My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar abscess. The vet put her under anesthesia and punctured the roof of her mouth to create a drain, and also gave her an injection of penicillin, as well as a prescription for oral keflex to fill today.

When her mouth was open wide during the procedure, we were able to see irregular red marks on the roof of her mouth on the affected side.

I really like my vet--he's an older guy who has primarily a large-animal practice, but he also sees dogs at his home on occasion. His set-up there is pretty basic; no x-ray or ultrasound, for example, and I serve as the veterinary assistant when we're there. I love taking my animals to him--I feel like we're all in a James Herriot story.

My question is this: should my dog have some kind of imaging study to determine the cause of the abscess? (He says it's not necessary, but in this instance, I wonder whether he is perhaps being too cursory and brusque; his large-animal side is coming into play, perhaps? Just felt moved to get another opinion....) In looking around on the internet, I see that tooth problems and migrated stick fragments are two of the more common causes of retrobulbar abscess. (Given the marks on the roof of her mouth, and the fact that she likes to chew sticks, I'm suspecting the latter.)

She does seem like she's on the mend this morning. Her eye is still quite red and bulging slightly, and her manner somewhat subdued, but the swelling in her face has gone down, and she had no trouble eating breakfast. I would expect the swelling to go down, though, from the combination of drainage and antibiotics--even if there was still a stick fragment in there. (No way a stick fragment would get out of the hole that was made for drainage.) What do you think--watch and wait, or make the effort now to determine the cause of the abscess?

Hi,

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would do. The vast majority of the time, draining the abscess and starting antibiotics is all that you need to cure a retrobulbar abscess.

Now, if for some reason this abscess is not healing well within a week or two, or if it starts to return in the future, then I would consider having further imaging done. The problem is that an xray is unlikely to show anything. A CT scan may show you something, but it is quite expensive.

In my opinion, doing further testing right now is not warranted.

I hope things continue to improve!

Hi, Dr. Marie--

Mattie looks even better this morning--nearly back to normal.

Thanks so much for offering this service. It gave me a lot of peace of mind to be able to get a quick and inexpensive second opinion.

I also appreciated the additional information I got from you regarding what kind of imaging would be needed.

Since I have three dogs, and they are always into something, it's very likely I'll use this service again in the future!

Lindsay

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (28555 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (9223 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (5912 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7875 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (27498 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14225 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (28380 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (20718 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (9103 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (9013 views)