Insulin shock

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have diarrhea and some blood in her stool. We gave her some boiled chicked and rice.On Tuesday she ate her normal morning feeding with her insulin..2hrs later after drinking water she vomits.Time to go to the Vet. She is diagonosed with gastroenterolitus. Discharge instructions no food or water that night.Just the prescribed Meds. and half the insulin dose , 2units.(U-100)Humulin N..4hrs later Lucy is in diabetic shock..We give her Karo syrup and stablelize her than to emergency Vet..I feel we shouldn't have given any insulin that night..She spent the next 3days in Vet Hospital..My Question is do you agree that she shouldn't have been given insulin that night given the nature of her situation...Thanks Jim

Oh, I am sorry to hear about Lucy. What a difficult situation.

It is always hard to know whether or not to give insulin to an unwell dog. I'm wondering if, in Lucy's case there is something more serious than gastroenteritis going on. Giving 2 units of insulin should not cause a dog to go into diabetic shock, even if she has gone 24 hours without food.

Schnauzers can be prone to pancreatitis. And, sometimes when a dog has pancreatitis it does not always show up on regular blood tests. As the pancreas is the organ that produces insulin, if there is pancreatitis then this can greatly affect the insulin production. I am guessing that Lucy's pancreas was very sick and that this had something to do with the insulin shock.

The vet's advice to half the insulin dose overnight sounds like advice that I would give.

I really hope that she is feeling better soon!

you are correct in that Lucy had pancreatitus as well..Thats my point about giving insulin...Would you still give her insulin?

I suppose it depends on a few things. In a normal situation, if a dog presented to me with diarrhea and vomiting but didn't appear to be horribly sick then I would likely recommend giving a half dose of insulin that evening.

What might change my mind is if I had bloodwork that showed that the blood glucose level was low. If this were the case then I would actually recommend hospitalizing the dog overnight and would monitor the blood glucose level and only give insulin if warranted.

Hindsight is 20/20 though. From what you have described I do not think that it is the vet's fault that poor Lucy went into diabetic shock. It sounds like they did the same things that I would do.

Well they didnt check her BG and she has been treated in the past for gastro and pancreaticissues..The problem was her regular Vet was on Vacation and his colleague was treating her. The truth is lucy should have not been discharged and her past history dictated that.I wish you were treating her. Your protocol would have avoided her Diabetic shock.

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (13901 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (2727 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (20117 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (4049 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (3596 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (10569 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (5412 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (2411 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (19468 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (12297 views)