Sore leg in a cat.

Breed: black/white tailless
I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is one of 3 cats. She is 20 pounds and not a good jumper b/c of no tail. About 4 days ago I notice her favoring her left leg/paw. It is not swollen, she lets me touch it and nothing in the pad of the foot. She cannot bring the leg up to clean her face. She is eating well. I started taking the food up to her so she could avoid the steps. I also made a series of benches so she could get on the bed. I wonder if she just sprained-maybe jumping off the new higher bed and using all the steps. It does seem a bit better today but she still doesn't want to put weight on it. I do not have a vet yet in Pittsburgh. The thought of putting her in a carrier after the trauma they went thru moving and also perhaps injuring the leg more trying to get her in the carrier. the last few days she has been sleeping on the bed and not moving around much. She is 10 years old and not as active as she was in previous years. Hope you can help. Thanks Kay

Hi Kay and thanks for your question!

This is a tough one to answer over the internet! However, I'll give you some of my thoughts.

The most common reason to have a sudden lameness in a cat is some type of infection in the muscle. Often the infection can't be seen because it is under the skin. They can get these by being bitten by another cat. If it is an infection you will start to notice eventually that her appetite is decreasing. If this is the case then she will need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Another possibility is that she has injured her cruciate ligament (ACL). The only way to diagnose this is to have your vet examine her. Most cats with ACL tears will heal on their own although some need surgery. If she is going to heal on her own it will take several weeks. Your vet may prescribe some medication for pain for the next few weeks.

It is also possible that she has injured either her hip or her back. If this is a soft tissue injury such as a sprain or strain it really should be improving after 3 days. If she has been lame for more than 3 days then she will unfortunately need to see the vet.

Your vet will do a good thorough exam and decide whether or not she needs xrays.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that is safe to give her for pain.

I hope she does ok!

I just re-read your question and I just wanted to be sure that it is the left HIND leg we are dealing with...if it is a front leg then an ACL tear would not be an issue.

It is the left front leg. They are indoor cats so no bites. She seems a little better this morning. Would it hurt to wait thru the weekend. I just brushed her and it didn't seem to bother her. I did nick and pull some skin when I was cutting out a hair ball but that was last nite so that wouldn't be an infection. Thanks for your help

You're very welcome! As long as she is eating and we are seeing some improvement then it is probably ok to watch her over the weekend. If she has not improved significantly by Monday then definitely she will need to be seen.

Also, if her appetite starts to decrease then this can be a sign of either significant pain or other disease present. If her appetite is decreasing then I would take her in sooner.

Hope she feels better soon!

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (6968 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (35518 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (46351 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (8248 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (10939 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (14299 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (12911 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (8181 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (8376 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (5182 views)