Sore leg in a cat.

Breed: black/white tailless
I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is one of 3 cats. She is 20 pounds and not a good jumper b/c of no tail. About 4 days ago I notice her favoring her left leg/paw. It is not swollen, she lets me touch it and nothing in the pad of the foot. She cannot bring the leg up to clean her face. She is eating well. I started taking the food up to her so she could avoid the steps. I also made a series of benches so she could get on the bed. I wonder if she just sprained-maybe jumping off the new higher bed and using all the steps. It does seem a bit better today but she still doesn't want to put weight on it. I do not have a vet yet in Pittsburgh. The thought of putting her in a carrier after the trauma they went thru moving and also perhaps injuring the leg more trying to get her in the carrier. the last few days she has been sleeping on the bed and not moving around much. She is 10 years old and not as active as she was in previous years. Hope you can help. Thanks Kay

Hi Kay and thanks for your question!

This is a tough one to answer over the internet! However, I'll give you some of my thoughts.

The most common reason to have a sudden lameness in a cat is some type of infection in the muscle. Often the infection can't be seen because it is under the skin. They can get these by being bitten by another cat. If it is an infection you will start to notice eventually that her appetite is decreasing. If this is the case then she will need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Another possibility is that she has injured her cruciate ligament (ACL). The only way to diagnose this is to have your vet examine her. Most cats with ACL tears will heal on their own although some need surgery. If she is going to heal on her own it will take several weeks. Your vet may prescribe some medication for pain for the next few weeks.

It is also possible that she has injured either her hip or her back. If this is a soft tissue injury such as a sprain or strain it really should be improving after 3 days. If she has been lame for more than 3 days then she will unfortunately need to see the vet.

Your vet will do a good thorough exam and decide whether or not she needs xrays.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that is safe to give her for pain.

I hope she does ok!

I just re-read your question and I just wanted to be sure that it is the left HIND leg we are dealing with...if it is a front leg then an ACL tear would not be an issue.

It is the left front leg. They are indoor cats so no bites. She seems a little better this morning. Would it hurt to wait thru the weekend. I just brushed her and it didn't seem to bother her. I did nick and pull some skin when I was cutting out a hair ball but that was last nite so that wouldn't be an infection. Thanks for your help

You're very welcome! As long as she is eating and we are seeing some improvement then it is probably ok to watch her over the weekend. If she has not improved significantly by Monday then definitely she will need to be seen.

Also, if her appetite starts to decrease then this can be a sign of either significant pain or other disease present. If her appetite is decreasing then I would take her in sooner.

Hope she feels better soon!

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (27268 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (23911 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (16771 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (21053 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (31589 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (9698 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (20228 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (15462 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (14775 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (21734 views)