Sore leg in a cat.

Breed: black/white tailless
I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is one of 3 cats. She is 20 pounds and not a good jumper b/c of no tail. About 4 days ago I notice her favoring her left leg/paw. It is not swollen, she lets me touch it and nothing in the pad of the foot. She cannot bring the leg up to clean her face. She is eating well. I started taking the food up to her so she could avoid the steps. I also made a series of benches so she could get on the bed. I wonder if she just sprained-maybe jumping off the new higher bed and using all the steps. It does seem a bit better today but she still doesn't want to put weight on it. I do not have a vet yet in Pittsburgh. The thought of putting her in a carrier after the trauma they went thru moving and also perhaps injuring the leg more trying to get her in the carrier. the last few days she has been sleeping on the bed and not moving around much. She is 10 years old and not as active as she was in previous years. Hope you can help. Thanks Kay

Hi Kay and thanks for your question!

This is a tough one to answer over the internet! However, I'll give you some of my thoughts.

The most common reason to have a sudden lameness in a cat is some type of infection in the muscle. Often the infection can't be seen because it is under the skin. They can get these by being bitten by another cat. If it is an infection you will start to notice eventually that her appetite is decreasing. If this is the case then she will need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Another possibility is that she has injured her cruciate ligament (ACL). The only way to diagnose this is to have your vet examine her. Most cats with ACL tears will heal on their own although some need surgery. If she is going to heal on her own it will take several weeks. Your vet may prescribe some medication for pain for the next few weeks.

It is also possible that she has injured either her hip or her back. If this is a soft tissue injury such as a sprain or strain it really should be improving after 3 days. If she has been lame for more than 3 days then she will unfortunately need to see the vet.

Your vet will do a good thorough exam and decide whether or not she needs xrays.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that is safe to give her for pain.

I hope she does ok!

I just re-read your question and I just wanted to be sure that it is the left HIND leg we are dealing with...if it is a front leg then an ACL tear would not be an issue.

It is the left front leg. They are indoor cats so no bites. She seems a little better this morning. Would it hurt to wait thru the weekend. I just brushed her and it didn't seem to bother her. I did nick and pull some skin when I was cutting out a hair ball but that was last nite so that wouldn't be an infection. Thanks for your help

You're very welcome! As long as she is eating and we are seeing some improvement then it is probably ok to watch her over the weekend. If she has not improved significantly by Monday then definitely she will need to be seen.

Also, if her appetite starts to decrease then this can be a sign of either significant pain or other disease present. If her appetite is decreasing then I would take her in sooner.

Hope she feels better soon!

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (4707 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (4575 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12287 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (17157 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (5907 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (6585 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6437 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (80457 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (21963 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (16572 views)