Behavior after having puppies

Breed: Lab mix
My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the shed where she can't even fit and crawls on her belly. Then she cam out of the back yard and barked and snapped at a lady walking down the street. About a week later she bit a lady on the sidewalk. She poops and pees on the floor no less than 3 times a day. She has never done that in the house until after her puppies. She goes outside almost all the time she is not nursing but will not use the bathroom outside. Help!

It sounds like Daisy is trying to tell you that something is wrong.

Having puppies usually does not change a dog's personality like this. I am wondering if she has either some pain or an infection or is unwell in some other way.

I have seen some doggie moms that are very protective of their puppies and can be aggressive if someone is approaching them, but what you are describing sounds like more than that.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take a look at Daisy. They will do a good exam and help determine if she has pain or infection or something else going on.

Once the pups are 4-5 weeks old you can start to wean them. Once they have been not nursing for 2-3 weeks then you can consider having Daisy spayed. This way, if there are hormones involved then this should solve the problem.

I hope she feels better soon!

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (14220 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (14689 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (10019 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (68335 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (19469 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (48547 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (20564 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8195 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (16216 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (42345 views)