Behavior after having puppies

Breed: Lab mix
My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the shed where she can't even fit and crawls on her belly. Then she cam out of the back yard and barked and snapped at a lady walking down the street. About a week later she bit a lady on the sidewalk. She poops and pees on the floor no less than 3 times a day. She has never done that in the house until after her puppies. She goes outside almost all the time she is not nursing but will not use the bathroom outside. Help!

It sounds like Daisy is trying to tell you that something is wrong.

Having puppies usually does not change a dog's personality like this. I am wondering if she has either some pain or an infection or is unwell in some other way.

I have seen some doggie moms that are very protective of their puppies and can be aggressive if someone is approaching them, but what you are describing sounds like more than that.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take a look at Daisy. They will do a good exam and help determine if she has pain or infection or something else going on.

Once the pups are 4-5 weeks old you can start to wean them. Once they have been not nursing for 2-3 weeks then you can consider having Daisy spayed. This way, if there are hormones involved then this should solve the problem.

I hope she feels better soon!

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (5753 views)

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (6927 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (13075 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (10619 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5665 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (76677 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (12021 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (12234 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16991 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (20066 views)