Should I get a guinea pig?

Breed: N/A
Dear Dr. Marie,

I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two female guinea pigs as pets.

I'm concerned about going ahead with the purchase because my apartment has a very primitive heating/cooling system. Namely, it has one baseboard heater and the tempature is regulated through opening and closing the windows.

I know from my childhood guinea pigs that they are quite sensitive to tempatures and drafts.

Would it be safe for the guinea pigs to live my apartment?

Thanks for a great question!

The answer to your question depends on how hot it is likely to get in your room. Guinea pigs are relatively tolerant of a cooler house. So, in the winter time I wouldn't be too concerned.

But, if your house gets really hot in the summer then this is not a good thing for a guinea pig. While no one knows for sure what temperature is best for a guinea pig, if the temperature is regularly over 80 F then it is likely too hot. Guinea pigs really don't handle heat well.

So, if you can keep your house below 80 the majority of the time, I would say to go ahead!

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (5922 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (11786 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (14565 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (22104 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (12136 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (6612 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (9303 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (37534 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (10423 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (8422 views)