Should I get a guinea pig?

Breed: N/A
Dear Dr. Marie,

I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two female guinea pigs as pets.

I'm concerned about going ahead with the purchase because my apartment has a very primitive heating/cooling system. Namely, it has one baseboard heater and the tempature is regulated through opening and closing the windows.

I know from my childhood guinea pigs that they are quite sensitive to tempatures and drafts.

Would it be safe for the guinea pigs to live my apartment?

Thanks for a great question!

The answer to your question depends on how hot it is likely to get in your room. Guinea pigs are relatively tolerant of a cooler house. So, in the winter time I wouldn't be too concerned.

But, if your house gets really hot in the summer then this is not a good thing for a guinea pig. While no one knows for sure what temperature is best for a guinea pig, if the temperature is regularly over 80 F then it is likely too hot. Guinea pigs really don't handle heat well.

So, if you can keep your house below 80 the majority of the time, I would say to go ahead!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (14280 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (9532 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (10293 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (3602 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (10898 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (6736 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (7027 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (2707 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (4659 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (2642 views)