Should I get a guinea pig?

Breed: N/A
Dear Dr. Marie,

I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two female guinea pigs as pets.

I'm concerned about going ahead with the purchase because my apartment has a very primitive heating/cooling system. Namely, it has one baseboard heater and the tempature is regulated through opening and closing the windows.

I know from my childhood guinea pigs that they are quite sensitive to tempatures and drafts.

Would it be safe for the guinea pigs to live my apartment?

Thanks for a great question!

The answer to your question depends on how hot it is likely to get in your room. Guinea pigs are relatively tolerant of a cooler house. So, in the winter time I wouldn't be too concerned.

But, if your house gets really hot in the summer then this is not a good thing for a guinea pig. While no one knows for sure what temperature is best for a guinea pig, if the temperature is regularly over 80 F then it is likely too hot. Guinea pigs really don't handle heat well.

So, if you can keep your house below 80 the majority of the time, I would say to go ahead!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (3383 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (2906 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (7211 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (6527 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (12187 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (11746 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (3027 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (3452 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (4276 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (6096 views)