Should I get a guinea pig?

Breed: N/A
Dear Dr. Marie,

I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two female guinea pigs as pets.

I'm concerned about going ahead with the purchase because my apartment has a very primitive heating/cooling system. Namely, it has one baseboard heater and the tempature is regulated through opening and closing the windows.

I know from my childhood guinea pigs that they are quite sensitive to tempatures and drafts.

Would it be safe for the guinea pigs to live my apartment?

Thanks for a great question!

The answer to your question depends on how hot it is likely to get in your room. Guinea pigs are relatively tolerant of a cooler house. So, in the winter time I wouldn't be too concerned.

But, if your house gets really hot in the summer then this is not a good thing for a guinea pig. While no one knows for sure what temperature is best for a guinea pig, if the temperature is regularly over 80 F then it is likely too hot. Guinea pigs really don't handle heat well.

So, if you can keep your house below 80 the majority of the time, I would say to go ahead!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (2691 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (4085 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (4641 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (25436 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (5081 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (3443 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (16584 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (4146 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (5928 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (6590 views)