Should I get a guinea pig?

Breed: N/A
Dear Dr. Marie,

I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two female guinea pigs as pets.

I'm concerned about going ahead with the purchase because my apartment has a very primitive heating/cooling system. Namely, it has one baseboard heater and the tempature is regulated through opening and closing the windows.

I know from my childhood guinea pigs that they are quite sensitive to tempatures and drafts.

Would it be safe for the guinea pigs to live my apartment?

Thanks for a great question!

The answer to your question depends on how hot it is likely to get in your room. Guinea pigs are relatively tolerant of a cooler house. So, in the winter time I wouldn't be too concerned.

But, if your house gets really hot in the summer then this is not a good thing for a guinea pig. While no one knows for sure what temperature is best for a guinea pig, if the temperature is regularly over 80 F then it is likely too hot. Guinea pigs really don't handle heat well.

So, if you can keep your house below 80 the majority of the time, I would say to go ahead!

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (9010 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (7889 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (13858 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (8211 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (9866 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (13577 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (23334 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (26997 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (15865 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (25488 views)