Should I get a guinea pig?

Breed: N/A
Dear Dr. Marie,

I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two female guinea pigs as pets.

I'm concerned about going ahead with the purchase because my apartment has a very primitive heating/cooling system. Namely, it has one baseboard heater and the tempature is regulated through opening and closing the windows.

I know from my childhood guinea pigs that they are quite sensitive to tempatures and drafts.

Would it be safe for the guinea pigs to live my apartment?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Thanks for a great question!

The answer to your question depends on how hot it is likely to get in your room. Guinea pigs are relatively tolerant of a cooler house. So, in the winter time I wouldn't be too concerned.

But, if your house gets really hot in the summer then this is not a good thing for a guinea pig. While no one knows for sure what temperature is best for a guinea pig, if the temperature is regularly over 80 F then it is likely too hot. Guinea pigs really don't handle heat well.

So, if you can keep your house below 80 the majority of the time, I would say to go ahead!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (16478 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (3452 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (5761 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (4213 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (15732 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (7157 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (8412 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (5304 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (2466 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (4118 views)