Swollen feet in older cat.

Breed: Mix
My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have tried 2 different antibiotics, had her in for x-rays ect. After spending lots of money she still has the same problem.
A. all 4 paws are swollen and infected. Some nails cannot retract.
B. she just lays there and has lost weight.
C. She has a lump at the end of her tail and a new one on the side of her nose and on her chest too.
D. her eyes leak.
Please let me know what I can do. claytonkuch@hotmail.com

This really sounds uncomfortable for Slinky.

I'm really concerned about her symptoms. While I can't give a diagnosis online, I can tell you a few of my thoughts about what you have described.

There is a possibility that what is causing the swelling in the feet is something called vasculitis. There are a number of different causes for vasculitis, but most of them are quite serious. Some cancers can cause vasculitis. Sometimes a serious problem with the immune system can cause it as well.

Another possibility is a condition called pemphigus. This is not very common in cats. In some cats it can be treated with steroids, but it is a life long treatment.

Are the pads of the feet swollen? If so, you could ask your vet about the possibility of something called plasma cell pododermatitis. We can sometimes cure this with a combination of doxycycline and some steroids (i.e. either prednisone or prednisolone). It sometimes takes a few months to completely cure the problem.

However, when you combine all of her symptoms including the weight loss, lethargy and the new lumps I am concerned for cancer.

The next step in trying to get a diagnosis would definitely be to have your vet biopsy some of the swollen areas. This test is very likely to tell us what the problem is and whether or not we will be successful with treatment.

I really hope things improve soon.

I can e-mail you a picture of her paws and lump on her face/nose. The paws bleed and are quite large. I can't tell if the pads are swollen. She does not eat much but if I bring her something she eats it right away.

I'd love to see photos...you can email them to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thanks.

Thanks for the photos. Slinky is a beautiful cat.

These are great quality photos but it's still hard to appreciate the swelling on her paws and face. It does look like pododermatitis is a possibility. (This is a condition that can be treated with doxycycline and steroids). However, I am still really concerned about cancer and possibly vasculitis.

If it's at all possible to ask your vet to biopsy her swollen areas this is definitely the next best step.

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (32542 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (17616 views)

yellow colored diarrhea We have had this puppy for about 2 weeks. The puppies were about 5 weeks when the... (11164 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (10652 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8017 views)

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (6338 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9178 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (17992 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (9843 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (20176 views)