Swollen feet in older cat.

Breed: Mix
My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have tried 2 different antibiotics, had her in for x-rays ect. After spending lots of money she still has the same problem.
A. all 4 paws are swollen and infected. Some nails cannot retract.
B. she just lays there and has lost weight.
C. She has a lump at the end of her tail and a new one on the side of her nose and on her chest too.
D. her eyes leak.
Please let me know what I can do. claytonkuch@hotmail.com

This really sounds uncomfortable for Slinky.

I'm really concerned about her symptoms. While I can't give a diagnosis online, I can tell you a few of my thoughts about what you have described.

There is a possibility that what is causing the swelling in the feet is something called vasculitis. There are a number of different causes for vasculitis, but most of them are quite serious. Some cancers can cause vasculitis. Sometimes a serious problem with the immune system can cause it as well.

Another possibility is a condition called pemphigus. This is not very common in cats. In some cats it can be treated with steroids, but it is a life long treatment.

Are the pads of the feet swollen? If so, you could ask your vet about the possibility of something called plasma cell pododermatitis. We can sometimes cure this with a combination of doxycycline and some steroids (i.e. either prednisone or prednisolone). It sometimes takes a few months to completely cure the problem.

However, when you combine all of her symptoms including the weight loss, lethargy and the new lumps I am concerned for cancer.

The next step in trying to get a diagnosis would definitely be to have your vet biopsy some of the swollen areas. This test is very likely to tell us what the problem is and whether or not we will be successful with treatment.

I really hope things improve soon.

I can e-mail you a picture of her paws and lump on her face/nose. The paws bleed and are quite large. I can't tell if the pads are swollen. She does not eat much but if I bring her something she eats it right away.

I'd love to see photos...you can email them to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thanks.

Thanks for the photos. Slinky is a beautiful cat.

These are great quality photos but it's still hard to appreciate the swelling on her paws and face. It does look like pododermatitis is a possibility. (This is a condition that can be treated with doxycycline and steroids). However, I am still really concerned about cancer and possibly vasculitis.

If it's at all possible to ask your vet to biopsy her swollen areas this is definitely the next best step.

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (73840 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (47018 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (18773 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (5865 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (56813 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (11745 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (14311 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (4656 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (13545 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (14676 views)