Swollen feet in older cat.

Breed: Mix
My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have tried 2 different antibiotics, had her in for x-rays ect. After spending lots of money she still has the same problem.
A. all 4 paws are swollen and infected. Some nails cannot retract.
B. she just lays there and has lost weight.
C. She has a lump at the end of her tail and a new one on the side of her nose and on her chest too.
D. her eyes leak.
Please let me know what I can do. claytonkuch@hotmail.com

This really sounds uncomfortable for Slinky.

I'm really concerned about her symptoms. While I can't give a diagnosis online, I can tell you a few of my thoughts about what you have described.

There is a possibility that what is causing the swelling in the feet is something called vasculitis. There are a number of different causes for vasculitis, but most of them are quite serious. Some cancers can cause vasculitis. Sometimes a serious problem with the immune system can cause it as well.

Another possibility is a condition called pemphigus. This is not very common in cats. In some cats it can be treated with steroids, but it is a life long treatment.

Are the pads of the feet swollen? If so, you could ask your vet about the possibility of something called plasma cell pododermatitis. We can sometimes cure this with a combination of doxycycline and some steroids (i.e. either prednisone or prednisolone). It sometimes takes a few months to completely cure the problem.

However, when you combine all of her symptoms including the weight loss, lethargy and the new lumps I am concerned for cancer.

The next step in trying to get a diagnosis would definitely be to have your vet biopsy some of the swollen areas. This test is very likely to tell us what the problem is and whether or not we will be successful with treatment.

I really hope things improve soon.

I can e-mail you a picture of her paws and lump on her face/nose. The paws bleed and are quite large. I can't tell if the pads are swollen. She does not eat much but if I bring her something she eats it right away.

I'd love to see photos...you can email them to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thanks.

Thanks for the photos. Slinky is a beautiful cat.

These are great quality photos but it's still hard to appreciate the swelling on her paws and face. It does look like pododermatitis is a possibility. (This is a condition that can be treated with doxycycline and steroids). However, I am still really concerned about cancer and possibly vasculitis.

If it's at all possible to ask your vet to biopsy her swollen areas this is definitely the next best step.

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (15451 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (34571 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (7890 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (18697 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (192828 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (9568 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (19753 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (16102 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (7766 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (16365 views)