Swollen feet in older cat.

Breed: Mix
My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have tried 2 different antibiotics, had her in for x-rays ect. After spending lots of money she still has the same problem.
A. all 4 paws are swollen and infected. Some nails cannot retract.
B. she just lays there and has lost weight.
C. She has a lump at the end of her tail and a new one on the side of her nose and on her chest too.
D. her eyes leak.
Please let me know what I can do. claytonkuch@hotmail.com

This really sounds uncomfortable for Slinky.

I'm really concerned about her symptoms. While I can't give a diagnosis online, I can tell you a few of my thoughts about what you have described.

There is a possibility that what is causing the swelling in the feet is something called vasculitis. There are a number of different causes for vasculitis, but most of them are quite serious. Some cancers can cause vasculitis. Sometimes a serious problem with the immune system can cause it as well.

Another possibility is a condition called pemphigus. This is not very common in cats. In some cats it can be treated with steroids, but it is a life long treatment.

Are the pads of the feet swollen? If so, you could ask your vet about the possibility of something called plasma cell pododermatitis. We can sometimes cure this with a combination of doxycycline and some steroids (i.e. either prednisone or prednisolone). It sometimes takes a few months to completely cure the problem.

However, when you combine all of her symptoms including the weight loss, lethargy and the new lumps I am concerned for cancer.

The next step in trying to get a diagnosis would definitely be to have your vet biopsy some of the swollen areas. This test is very likely to tell us what the problem is and whether or not we will be successful with treatment.

I really hope things improve soon.

I can e-mail you a picture of her paws and lump on her face/nose. The paws bleed and are quite large. I can't tell if the pads are swollen. She does not eat much but if I bring her something she eats it right away.

I'd love to see photos...you can email them to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thanks.

Thanks for the photos. Slinky is a beautiful cat.

These are great quality photos but it's still hard to appreciate the swelling on her paws and face. It does look like pododermatitis is a possibility. (This is a condition that can be treated with doxycycline and steroids). However, I am still really concerned about cancer and possibly vasculitis.

If it's at all possible to ask your vet to biopsy her swollen areas this is definitely the next best step.

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (13132 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10804 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (11472 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (8678 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (9888 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5795 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (5500 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (19114 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (6255 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (10672 views)