Natural flea product?

Breed: Australian Kelpie mi
Dear Dr. Marie:

We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on our dog, at the correct dosage for his weight. He is only given the treatment every 6 to 8 weeks.

Immediately after treatment we notice he becomes anxious, runs/paces outside, and rolls around on the grass as if to remove the product. This large change in behavior lasts for about 30 minutes, then he's just a bit more antsy than usual after that for between 1-2 hours.

The product is mainly botanical oils (clove, cinnamon, peppermint) and has a strong spicy smell, in a base of isopropyl myristate. I do not see any skin irritation (dryness, redness, etc) at any time after application, nor does his anxiousness include an attempt to scratch at the treated area.

My question is whether his behavior might be a reaction to the strong smell, or could it be burning/irritating the skin regardless of the lack of visual symptoms on the epidermis?

We do not wish to change to a "traditional" chemical form of flea treatment, but would welcome suggestions of other natural topical applications to try. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

There is no natural remedy for fleas that I am aware of that really works well.

The prescription flea products such as Revolution, Frontline and Advantage are extremely safe and are the only reliable treatments that I would recommend for fleas.

You will read all sorts of things online about possible natural remedies including brewer's yeast, garlic and more but they just don't work! If there was a natural product that worked well then we would be using it.

Fleas are getting more and more difficult to kill. Part of this reason is that there are many products out there that will kill *some* fleas but not all. Those remaining fleas are ones that have withstood some treatment. So, when they reproduce they create a population of resistant fleas.

It's hard to say why your dog reacted to the product. My guess though is that it was the alcohol base. Some dogs do not like the feel of alcohol on their skin.

I do not recommend any Sentry products for fleas and ticks.

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (14045 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (8536 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11624 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13231 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (8469 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (7843 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (7440 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (45565 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (18557 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (20156 views)