Natural flea product?

Breed: Australian Kelpie mi
Dear Dr. Marie:

We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on our dog, at the correct dosage for his weight. He is only given the treatment every 6 to 8 weeks.

Immediately after treatment we notice he becomes anxious, runs/paces outside, and rolls around on the grass as if to remove the product. This large change in behavior lasts for about 30 minutes, then he's just a bit more antsy than usual after that for between 1-2 hours.

The product is mainly botanical oils (clove, cinnamon, peppermint) and has a strong spicy smell, in a base of isopropyl myristate. I do not see any skin irritation (dryness, redness, etc) at any time after application, nor does his anxiousness include an attempt to scratch at the treated area.

My question is whether his behavior might be a reaction to the strong smell, or could it be burning/irritating the skin regardless of the lack of visual symptoms on the epidermis?

We do not wish to change to a "traditional" chemical form of flea treatment, but would welcome suggestions of other natural topical applications to try. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

There is no natural remedy for fleas that I am aware of that really works well.

The prescription flea products such as Revolution, Frontline and Advantage are extremely safe and are the only reliable treatments that I would recommend for fleas.

You will read all sorts of things online about possible natural remedies including brewer's yeast, garlic and more but they just don't work! If there was a natural product that worked well then we would be using it.

Fleas are getting more and more difficult to kill. Part of this reason is that there are many products out there that will kill *some* fleas but not all. Those remaining fleas are ones that have withstood some treatment. So, when they reproduce they create a population of resistant fleas.

It's hard to say why your dog reacted to the product. My guess though is that it was the alcohol base. Some dogs do not like the feel of alcohol on their skin.

I do not recommend any Sentry products for fleas and ticks.

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (14262 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (26219 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (11853 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (14045 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (15109 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (13341 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (23948 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (27366 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (11982 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (16951 views)