Natural flea product?

Breed: Australian Kelpie mi
Dear Dr. Marie:

We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on our dog, at the correct dosage for his weight. He is only given the treatment every 6 to 8 weeks.

Immediately after treatment we notice he becomes anxious, runs/paces outside, and rolls around on the grass as if to remove the product. This large change in behavior lasts for about 30 minutes, then he's just a bit more antsy than usual after that for between 1-2 hours.

The product is mainly botanical oils (clove, cinnamon, peppermint) and has a strong spicy smell, in a base of isopropyl myristate. I do not see any skin irritation (dryness, redness, etc) at any time after application, nor does his anxiousness include an attempt to scratch at the treated area.

My question is whether his behavior might be a reaction to the strong smell, or could it be burning/irritating the skin regardless of the lack of visual symptoms on the epidermis?

We do not wish to change to a "traditional" chemical form of flea treatment, but would welcome suggestions of other natural topical applications to try. Thank you very much for your consideration.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

There is no natural remedy for fleas that I am aware of that really works well.

The prescription flea products such as Revolution, Frontline and Advantage are extremely safe and are the only reliable treatments that I would recommend for fleas.

You will read all sorts of things online about possible natural remedies including brewer's yeast, garlic and more but they just don't work! If there was a natural product that worked well then we would be using it.

Fleas are getting more and more difficult to kill. Part of this reason is that there are many products out there that will kill *some* fleas but not all. Those remaining fleas are ones that have withstood some treatment. So, when they reproduce they create a population of resistant fleas.

It's hard to say why your dog reacted to the product. My guess though is that it was the alcohol base. Some dogs do not like the feel of alcohol on their skin.

I do not recommend any Sentry products for fleas and ticks.

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (9096 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (13890 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (13128 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (15740 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (31704 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (17684 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (80901 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (11941 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (22754 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (20852 views)