Laser pointers for cats and dogs?

Breed:
Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or cat?

This is an excellent question!

I am definitely a fan of using a laser pointer to exercise a cat. Most cats really love to chase these things. I've seen a few dogs that will chase them but they don't seem to be as crazy about them as cats are.

However, I did have one case of a cat who developed a form of obsessive compulsive disorder because of a laser pointer. For days after playing with the pointer the cat would be obsessively looking for the little red dot everywhere. She would stare at the wall and meow and wouldn't stop searching for it. It got so bad that she needed anti-anxiety medication to recover.

This is a rare case though. And, I still say that laser pointers are good for most cats.

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (13008 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (99183 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7059 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (8009 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8099 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (46145 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (6585 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (6973 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (14447 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (6103 views)