Laser pointers for cats and dogs?

Breed:
Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or cat?

This is an excellent question!

I am definitely a fan of using a laser pointer to exercise a cat. Most cats really love to chase these things. I've seen a few dogs that will chase them but they don't seem to be as crazy about them as cats are.

However, I did have one case of a cat who developed a form of obsessive compulsive disorder because of a laser pointer. For days after playing with the pointer the cat would be obsessively looking for the little red dot everywhere. She would stare at the wall and meow and wouldn't stop searching for it. It got so bad that she needed anti-anxiety medication to recover.

This is a rare case though. And, I still say that laser pointers are good for most cats.

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (10553 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (13885 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5330 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (8208 views)

Cavalier screaming in pain. Hi there, since last Thursday my puppy having very strange moment and I went to my... (34908 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (27383 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (25985 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5455 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (6926 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (17525 views)