Laser pointers for cats and dogs?

Breed:
Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or cat?

This is an excellent question!

I am definitely a fan of using a laser pointer to exercise a cat. Most cats really love to chase these things. I've seen a few dogs that will chase them but they don't seem to be as crazy about them as cats are.

However, I did have one case of a cat who developed a form of obsessive compulsive disorder because of a laser pointer. For days after playing with the pointer the cat would be obsessively looking for the little red dot everywhere. She would stare at the wall and meow and wouldn't stop searching for it. It got so bad that she needed anti-anxiety medication to recover.

This is a rare case though. And, I still say that laser pointers are good for most cats.

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (10850 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (13670 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (6783 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (18788 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (21731 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (94907 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (12821 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (8649 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (91686 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (196636 views)