Laser pointers for cats and dogs?

Breed:
Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or cat?

This is an excellent question!

I am definitely a fan of using a laser pointer to exercise a cat. Most cats really love to chase these things. I've seen a few dogs that will chase them but they don't seem to be as crazy about them as cats are.

However, I did have one case of a cat who developed a form of obsessive compulsive disorder because of a laser pointer. For days after playing with the pointer the cat would be obsessively looking for the little red dot everywhere. She would stare at the wall and meow and wouldn't stop searching for it. It got so bad that she needed anti-anxiety medication to recover.

This is a rare case though. And, I still say that laser pointers are good for most cats.

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (55002 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (19706 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (5420 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8054 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (9289 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (9495 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (7152 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (31549 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (10504 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (9213 views)