Fleas on a newborn kitten.

Breed: Short haired cat
My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on them when they are this young?

It is definitely very important to get rid of fleas on young kittens. I have seen kittens die from having too many fleas as the fleas can eat enough blood to cause severe anemia.

The problem is that all of the good flea products are only labelled for use in kittens that are older than 6 or 8 weeks.

Many vets will still prescribe a medication such as Advantage and instead of having you use the whole tube will instruct you to use just one drop on each kitten. This is what is called "off label use" and you need to talk to your vet if you are going to do this.

What I usually recommend is a gentle bath in Dawn dish detergent. The dish soap does have some effect against fleas and will slow them down. Then, once the kitten is bathed take a flea comb (which you can buy at any pet store) and thoroughly comb through the kitten. You should be able to remove a good number of the fleas.

Once the kitten reaches 6 weeks old then I would use a prescription strength product recommended by your vet.

It is also really important that all of the cats and dogs in the house are treated with a prescription strength product as well.

I would highly recommend that you read this article about flea control.

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (9403 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4528 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (10910 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (14280 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (13982 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (38402 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (18738 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (25719 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (15278 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (15783 views)