Fleas on a newborn kitten.

Breed: Short haired cat
My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on them when they are this young?

It is definitely very important to get rid of fleas on young kittens. I have seen kittens die from having too many fleas as the fleas can eat enough blood to cause severe anemia.

The problem is that all of the good flea products are only labelled for use in kittens that are older than 6 or 8 weeks.

Many vets will still prescribe a medication such as Advantage and instead of having you use the whole tube will instruct you to use just one drop on each kitten. This is what is called "off label use" and you need to talk to your vet if you are going to do this.

What I usually recommend is a gentle bath in Dawn dish detergent. The dish soap does have some effect against fleas and will slow them down. Then, once the kitten is bathed take a flea comb (which you can buy at any pet store) and thoroughly comb through the kitten. You should be able to remove a good number of the fleas.

Once the kitten reaches 6 weeks old then I would use a prescription strength product recommended by your vet.

It is also really important that all of the cats and dogs in the house are treated with a prescription strength product as well.

I would highly recommend that you read this article about flea control.

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (10815 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (16649 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (15956 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (6673 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (11740 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (9837 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (17273 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (7995 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (5660 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (10416 views)