Fleas on a newborn kitten.

Breed: Short haired cat
My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on them when they are this young?

It is definitely very important to get rid of fleas on young kittens. I have seen kittens die from having too many fleas as the fleas can eat enough blood to cause severe anemia.

The problem is that all of the good flea products are only labelled for use in kittens that are older than 6 or 8 weeks.

Many vets will still prescribe a medication such as Advantage and instead of having you use the whole tube will instruct you to use just one drop on each kitten. This is what is called "off label use" and you need to talk to your vet if you are going to do this.

What I usually recommend is a gentle bath in Dawn dish detergent. The dish soap does have some effect against fleas and will slow them down. Then, once the kitten is bathed take a flea comb (which you can buy at any pet store) and thoroughly comb through the kitten. You should be able to remove a good number of the fleas.

Once the kitten reaches 6 weeks old then I would use a prescription strength product recommended by your vet.

It is also really important that all of the cats and dogs in the house are treated with a prescription strength product as well.

I would highly recommend that you read this article about flea control.

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5777 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (5736 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (20176 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (17110 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (18978 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (46659 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (16168 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (18365 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (14692 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (5070 views)