Fleas on a newborn kitten.

Breed: Short haired cat
My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on them when they are this young?

It is definitely very important to get rid of fleas on young kittens. I have seen kittens die from having too many fleas as the fleas can eat enough blood to cause severe anemia.

The problem is that all of the good flea products are only labelled for use in kittens that are older than 6 or 8 weeks.

Many vets will still prescribe a medication such as Advantage and instead of having you use the whole tube will instruct you to use just one drop on each kitten. This is what is called "off label use" and you need to talk to your vet if you are going to do this.

What I usually recommend is a gentle bath in Dawn dish detergent. The dish soap does have some effect against fleas and will slow them down. Then, once the kitten is bathed take a flea comb (which you can buy at any pet store) and thoroughly comb through the kitten. You should be able to remove a good number of the fleas.

Once the kitten reaches 6 weeks old then I would use a prescription strength product recommended by your vet.

It is also really important that all of the cats and dogs in the house are treated with a prescription strength product as well.

I would highly recommend that you read this article about flea control.

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (9166 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (14771 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (11401 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (15236 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (7530 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (14988 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (15313 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (63819 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (22579 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (19949 views)