Sick after having puppies.

Breed: hound/beagle
My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog at least 10 to 12 years old. It was extrememly hot. By the time I found her late on the 2nd day she was done having the pups but wasnt acting right she was breathing very rapidly and seems lathargic and dazed. I took her and the pups and put them in my garage where is was cooler and immediately tried rehydrating her with water and pedialyte. She is totally blind, cant get up by herself and after you get her up and she gets going she is very unstable walks in circles, and leans and falls on occasions to the right. She will eat and drink if you administer it to her. I dont know what else I can do to help her. Can you give me any advice. My dad is from the OLD SCHOOL and dont believe in vets and I dont have the money to take her to one. any help would be appreciated.

Oh, no. Ashely does not sound well at all. There are a number of things that could be causing these symptoms and unfortunately all of them would require a vet visit and likely some tests.

My first concern is that it took her 2 days to have the puppies. She could possibly have a retained fetus inside of her. If this is the case, she would need an xray and very possibly need a C-Section in order to get better.

Another possibility is a condition called eclampsia. Eclampsia in dogs is different than eclampsia in people. In dogs, we see weakness and extreme lethargy a few days after having puppies. It is related to a drop in Calcium levels. This condition is definitely life threatening. It is much more common in very tiny dogs though.

It's also possible that there are other things going on with her. At 10 to 12 years she could be dealing with kidney disease or liver disease.

Sometimes older dogs can get a sudden condition called vestibular syndrome where they get wobbly and walk in circles. This condition generally gets better on its own within a few days. But, there really is no connection between vestibular syndrome and giving birth. It would be a huge coincidence to have this happen just after birthing.

It's also possible that she has suffered a stroke although strokes are not common in dogs.

Ashley really does need to see a vet. It sounds like she is really unwell. I wish I could give you advice on what you could do at home, but there really is nothing that I can suggest.

I hope she ends up ok.

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (42940 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (12417 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (72813 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (8069 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (7882 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (130578 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (29372 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (20154 views)

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (11663 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (10634 views)