Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Sick after having puppies.

Species: Dog
Breed: hound/beagle
Age: 8-11 years
My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog at least 10 to 12 years old. It was extrememly hot. By the time I found her late on the 2nd day she was done having the pups but wasnt acting right she was breathing very rapidly and seems lathargic and dazed. I took her and the pups and put them in my garage where is was cooler and immediately tried rehydrating her with water and pedialyte. She is totally blind, cant get up by herself and after you get her up and she gets going she is very unstable walks in circles, and leans and falls on occasions to the right. She will eat and drink if you administer it to her. I dont know what else I can do to help her. Can you give me any advice. My dad is from the OLD SCHOOL and dont believe in vets and I dont have the money to take her to one. any help would be appreciated.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, no. Ashely does not sound well at all. There are a number of things that could be causing these symptoms and unfortunately all of them would require a vet visit and likely some tests.

My first concern is that it took her 2 days to have the puppies. She could possibly have a retained fetus inside of her. If this is the case, she would need an xray and very possibly need a C-Section in order to get better.

Another possibility is a condition called eclampsia. Eclampsia in dogs is different than eclampsia in people. In dogs, we see weakness and extreme lethargy a few days after having puppies. It is related to a drop in Calcium levels. This condition is definitely life threatening. It is much more common in very tiny dogs though.

It's also possible that there are other things going on with her. At 10 to 12 years she could be dealing with kidney disease or liver disease.

Sometimes older dogs can get a sudden condition called vestibular syndrome where they get wobbly and walk in circles. This condition generally gets better on its own within a few days. But, there really is no connection between vestibular syndrome and giving birth. It would be a huge coincidence to have this happen just after birthing.

It's also possible that she has suffered a stroke although strokes are not common in dogs.

Ashley really does need to see a vet. It sounds like she is really unwell. I wish I could give you advice on what you could do at home, but there really is nothing that I can suggest.

I hope she ends up ok.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (9188 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9291 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (30945 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (14437 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (20237 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (29172 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (11753 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (8059 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (8779 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (25872 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.