Sick after having puppies.

Breed: hound/beagle
My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog at least 10 to 12 years old. It was extrememly hot. By the time I found her late on the 2nd day she was done having the pups but wasnt acting right she was breathing very rapidly and seems lathargic and dazed. I took her and the pups and put them in my garage where is was cooler and immediately tried rehydrating her with water and pedialyte. She is totally blind, cant get up by herself and after you get her up and she gets going she is very unstable walks in circles, and leans and falls on occasions to the right. She will eat and drink if you administer it to her. I dont know what else I can do to help her. Can you give me any advice. My dad is from the OLD SCHOOL and dont believe in vets and I dont have the money to take her to one. any help would be appreciated.

Oh, no. Ashely does not sound well at all. There are a number of things that could be causing these symptoms and unfortunately all of them would require a vet visit and likely some tests.

My first concern is that it took her 2 days to have the puppies. She could possibly have a retained fetus inside of her. If this is the case, she would need an xray and very possibly need a C-Section in order to get better.

Another possibility is a condition called eclampsia. Eclampsia in dogs is different than eclampsia in people. In dogs, we see weakness and extreme lethargy a few days after having puppies. It is related to a drop in Calcium levels. This condition is definitely life threatening. It is much more common in very tiny dogs though.

It's also possible that there are other things going on with her. At 10 to 12 years she could be dealing with kidney disease or liver disease.

Sometimes older dogs can get a sudden condition called vestibular syndrome where they get wobbly and walk in circles. This condition generally gets better on its own within a few days. But, there really is no connection between vestibular syndrome and giving birth. It would be a huge coincidence to have this happen just after birthing.

It's also possible that she has suffered a stroke although strokes are not common in dogs.

Ashley really does need to see a vet. It sounds like she is really unwell. I wish I could give you advice on what you could do at home, but there really is nothing that I can suggest.

I hope she ends up ok.

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (9587 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (14597 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (8154 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (10430 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (76436 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (10163 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (22163 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (85280 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (12019 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7844 views)