Sick after having puppies.

Breed: hound/beagle
My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog at least 10 to 12 years old. It was extrememly hot. By the time I found her late on the 2nd day she was done having the pups but wasnt acting right she was breathing very rapidly and seems lathargic and dazed. I took her and the pups and put them in my garage where is was cooler and immediately tried rehydrating her with water and pedialyte. She is totally blind, cant get up by herself and after you get her up and she gets going she is very unstable walks in circles, and leans and falls on occasions to the right. She will eat and drink if you administer it to her. I dont know what else I can do to help her. Can you give me any advice. My dad is from the OLD SCHOOL and dont believe in vets and I dont have the money to take her to one. any help would be appreciated.

Oh, no. Ashely does not sound well at all. There are a number of things that could be causing these symptoms and unfortunately all of them would require a vet visit and likely some tests.

My first concern is that it took her 2 days to have the puppies. She could possibly have a retained fetus inside of her. If this is the case, she would need an xray and very possibly need a C-Section in order to get better.

Another possibility is a condition called eclampsia. Eclampsia in dogs is different than eclampsia in people. In dogs, we see weakness and extreme lethargy a few days after having puppies. It is related to a drop in Calcium levels. This condition is definitely life threatening. It is much more common in very tiny dogs though.

It's also possible that there are other things going on with her. At 10 to 12 years she could be dealing with kidney disease or liver disease.

Sometimes older dogs can get a sudden condition called vestibular syndrome where they get wobbly and walk in circles. This condition generally gets better on its own within a few days. But, there really is no connection between vestibular syndrome and giving birth. It would be a huge coincidence to have this happen just after birthing.

It's also possible that she has suffered a stroke although strokes are not common in dogs.

Ashley really does need to see a vet. It sounds like she is really unwell. I wish I could give you advice on what you could do at home, but there really is nothing that I can suggest.

I hope she ends up ok.

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (132872 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (35761 views)

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (26767 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (22474 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (16782 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8302 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (4684 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (14151 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (11266 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (5612 views)