ACTH Stim

Breed: brittany spaniel
my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in to give results. I know that his cortisol level at te beginning of te test was 1.0 and after the stim it was 9.2. what does this mean?????

Thanks for your question. It's unfortunate that your vet wasn't able to talk to you about the results! Hopefully I can help out.

When we do an ACTH stim test what we do is we measure a dog's cortisol level. Then, we give an injection of a medication that stimulates the adrenal glands. In a normal dog we will see the cortisol level go high. In a dog with Addison's disease, the cortisol level does not increase.

An initial cortisol level of 1 ug/dL is normal. When we stimulate it we expect it to increase to somewhere between 6 and 18. Therefore a level of 9 is quite normal.

So, judging by these numbers what we can say is that Bohdie does not have Addison's disease.

Of course though it's best to consult with your vet when he or she is available!

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (10860 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5840 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (19651 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (10279 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (6949 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (8935 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (59746 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (7339 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (7248 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (18434 views)