ACTH Stim

Breed: brittany spaniel
my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in to give results. I know that his cortisol level at te beginning of te test was 1.0 and after the stim it was 9.2. what does this mean?????

Thanks for your question. It's unfortunate that your vet wasn't able to talk to you about the results! Hopefully I can help out.

When we do an ACTH stim test what we do is we measure a dog's cortisol level. Then, we give an injection of a medication that stimulates the adrenal glands. In a normal dog we will see the cortisol level go high. In a dog with Addison's disease, the cortisol level does not increase.

An initial cortisol level of 1 ug/dL is normal. When we stimulate it we expect it to increase to somewhere between 6 and 18. Therefore a level of 9 is quite normal.

So, judging by these numbers what we can say is that Bohdie does not have Addison's disease.

Of course though it's best to consult with your vet when he or she is available!

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (15829 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5209 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (8980 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (9297 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (14159 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (7218 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (11781 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (7438 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (7203 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (6968 views)