ACTH Stim

Breed: brittany spaniel
my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in to give results. I know that his cortisol level at te beginning of te test was 1.0 and after the stim it was 9.2. what does this mean?????

Thanks for your question. It's unfortunate that your vet wasn't able to talk to you about the results! Hopefully I can help out.

When we do an ACTH stim test what we do is we measure a dog's cortisol level. Then, we give an injection of a medication that stimulates the adrenal glands. In a normal dog we will see the cortisol level go high. In a dog with Addison's disease, the cortisol level does not increase.

An initial cortisol level of 1 ug/dL is normal. When we stimulate it we expect it to increase to somewhere between 6 and 18. Therefore a level of 9 is quite normal.

So, judging by these numbers what we can say is that Bohdie does not have Addison's disease.

Of course though it's best to consult with your vet when he or she is available!

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (34915 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (11870 views)

Dwarf hamsters fighting. HI DOC. , I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY... (16104 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (27885 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (27173 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (7831 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (10118 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (13353 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (23566 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (11086 views)