ACTH Stim

Breed: brittany spaniel
my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in to give results. I know that his cortisol level at te beginning of te test was 1.0 and after the stim it was 9.2. what does this mean?????

Thanks for your question. It's unfortunate that your vet wasn't able to talk to you about the results! Hopefully I can help out.

When we do an ACTH stim test what we do is we measure a dog's cortisol level. Then, we give an injection of a medication that stimulates the adrenal glands. In a normal dog we will see the cortisol level go high. In a dog with Addison's disease, the cortisol level does not increase.

An initial cortisol level of 1 ug/dL is normal. When we stimulate it we expect it to increase to somewhere between 6 and 18. Therefore a level of 9 is quite normal.

So, judging by these numbers what we can say is that Bohdie does not have Addison's disease.

Of course though it's best to consult with your vet when he or she is available!

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (14488 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (21239 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (12645 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (27725 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (7702 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (23368 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (31373 views)

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (13861 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (11934 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (7593 views)