ACTH Stim

Breed: brittany spaniel
my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in to give results. I know that his cortisol level at te beginning of te test was 1.0 and after the stim it was 9.2. what does this mean?????

Thanks for your question. It's unfortunate that your vet wasn't able to talk to you about the results! Hopefully I can help out.

When we do an ACTH stim test what we do is we measure a dog's cortisol level. Then, we give an injection of a medication that stimulates the adrenal glands. In a normal dog we will see the cortisol level go high. In a dog with Addison's disease, the cortisol level does not increase.

An initial cortisol level of 1 ug/dL is normal. When we stimulate it we expect it to increase to somewhere between 6 and 18. Therefore a level of 9 is quite normal.

So, judging by these numbers what we can say is that Bohdie does not have Addison's disease.

Of course though it's best to consult with your vet when he or she is available!

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (27196 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (13990 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (18194 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (9018 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (27608 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (12945 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (15573 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (5841 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (12097 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (10528 views)