ACTH Stim

Breed: brittany spaniel
my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in to give results. I know that his cortisol level at te beginning of te test was 1.0 and after the stim it was 9.2. what does this mean?????

Thanks for your question. It's unfortunate that your vet wasn't able to talk to you about the results! Hopefully I can help out.

When we do an ACTH stim test what we do is we measure a dog's cortisol level. Then, we give an injection of a medication that stimulates the adrenal glands. In a normal dog we will see the cortisol level go high. In a dog with Addison's disease, the cortisol level does not increase.

An initial cortisol level of 1 ug/dL is normal. When we stimulate it we expect it to increase to somewhere between 6 and 18. Therefore a level of 9 is quite normal.

So, judging by these numbers what we can say is that Bohdie does not have Addison's disease.

Of course though it's best to consult with your vet when he or she is available!

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (12065 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (79919 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (25053 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8211 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (10561 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10428 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (11972 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (34320 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (22732 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6479 views)