ACTH Stim

Breed: brittany spaniel
my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in to give results. I know that his cortisol level at te beginning of te test was 1.0 and after the stim it was 9.2. what does this mean?????

Thanks for your question. It's unfortunate that your vet wasn't able to talk to you about the results! Hopefully I can help out.

When we do an ACTH stim test what we do is we measure a dog's cortisol level. Then, we give an injection of a medication that stimulates the adrenal glands. In a normal dog we will see the cortisol level go high. In a dog with Addison's disease, the cortisol level does not increase.

An initial cortisol level of 1 ug/dL is normal. When we stimulate it we expect it to increase to somewhere between 6 and 18. Therefore a level of 9 is quite normal.

So, judging by these numbers what we can say is that Bohdie does not have Addison's disease.

Of course though it's best to consult with your vet when he or she is available!

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7526 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (10354 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (37116 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (22027 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (6599 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (7428 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (10357 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7593 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (10769 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (21312 views)