ACTH Stim

Breed: brittany spaniel
my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in to give results. I know that his cortisol level at te beginning of te test was 1.0 and after the stim it was 9.2. what does this mean?????

Thanks for your question. It's unfortunate that your vet wasn't able to talk to you about the results! Hopefully I can help out.

When we do an ACTH stim test what we do is we measure a dog's cortisol level. Then, we give an injection of a medication that stimulates the adrenal glands. In a normal dog we will see the cortisol level go high. In a dog with Addison's disease, the cortisol level does not increase.

An initial cortisol level of 1 ug/dL is normal. When we stimulate it we expect it to increase to somewhere between 6 and 18. Therefore a level of 9 is quite normal.

So, judging by these numbers what we can say is that Bohdie does not have Addison's disease.

Of course though it's best to consult with your vet when he or she is available!

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (9088 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (10408 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (12417 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (31549 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (8091 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (6284 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (10587 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (9714 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (80194 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (7083 views)