Allergic to grass?

Breed: Dacshund
My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and scratching it a lot and causing it to become red and inflamed. Ruled out a food allergy. Moved him to my girlfriends apartment for a week and it got better. Came back home and it started up again after being outside. Could he have an allergy to grass?

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Hobbs, but I can give you my thoughts.

The vast majority of the time when a dog has red lesions on his belly it is because of a skin infection.

While it's possible that an allergy could have started off the irritation, if there are actual lesions (red spots, welts, etc.) then it is likely a bacterial skin infection.

Unfortunately when there is a skin infection present the only thing that will treat it is a course of antibiotics from the vet. I will usually prescribe at least 3 weeks of antibiotics. If it has been there for a while then some dogs need 4-8 weeks of medication.

Many dogs can be allergic to grass. However, we usually see mostly itchiness on their feet and ears.

Has Hobbs seen a doctor yet? If not, then it's definitely a good idea!

I'm heading offline in the next few minutes, so if you have more concerns, if I miss you I will check in in the morning.

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9056 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (58863 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (30591 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20995 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19545 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (72973 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12637 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (128472 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (8247 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (7173 views)