Allergic to grass?

Breed: Dacshund
My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and scratching it a lot and causing it to become red and inflamed. Ruled out a food allergy. Moved him to my girlfriends apartment for a week and it got better. Came back home and it started up again after being outside. Could he have an allergy to grass?

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Hobbs, but I can give you my thoughts.

The vast majority of the time when a dog has red lesions on his belly it is because of a skin infection.

While it's possible that an allergy could have started off the irritation, if there are actual lesions (red spots, welts, etc.) then it is likely a bacterial skin infection.

Unfortunately when there is a skin infection present the only thing that will treat it is a course of antibiotics from the vet. I will usually prescribe at least 3 weeks of antibiotics. If it has been there for a while then some dogs need 4-8 weeks of medication.

Many dogs can be allergic to grass. However, we usually see mostly itchiness on their feet and ears.

Has Hobbs seen a doctor yet? If not, then it's definitely a good idea!

I'm heading offline in the next few minutes, so if you have more concerns, if I miss you I will check in in the morning.

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4151 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (31996 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4595 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (12728 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (30584 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (14868 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (13936 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (66104 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5671 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (24041 views)