Allergic to grass?

Breed: Dacshund
My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and scratching it a lot and causing it to become red and inflamed. Ruled out a food allergy. Moved him to my girlfriends apartment for a week and it got better. Came back home and it started up again after being outside. Could he have an allergy to grass?

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Hobbs, but I can give you my thoughts.

The vast majority of the time when a dog has red lesions on his belly it is because of a skin infection.

While it's possible that an allergy could have started off the irritation, if there are actual lesions (red spots, welts, etc.) then it is likely a bacterial skin infection.

Unfortunately when there is a skin infection present the only thing that will treat it is a course of antibiotics from the vet. I will usually prescribe at least 3 weeks of antibiotics. If it has been there for a while then some dogs need 4-8 weeks of medication.

Many dogs can be allergic to grass. However, we usually see mostly itchiness on their feet and ears.

Has Hobbs seen a doctor yet? If not, then it's definitely a good idea!

I'm heading offline in the next few minutes, so if you have more concerns, if I miss you I will check in in the morning.

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (5481 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (7329 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (13937 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (10218 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (22110 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (11982 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (42030 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15526 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (12231 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (10388 views)