Allergic to grass?

Breed: Dacshund
My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and scratching it a lot and causing it to become red and inflamed. Ruled out a food allergy. Moved him to my girlfriends apartment for a week and it got better. Came back home and it started up again after being outside. Could he have an allergy to grass?

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Hobbs, but I can give you my thoughts.

The vast majority of the time when a dog has red lesions on his belly it is because of a skin infection.

While it's possible that an allergy could have started off the irritation, if there are actual lesions (red spots, welts, etc.) then it is likely a bacterial skin infection.

Unfortunately when there is a skin infection present the only thing that will treat it is a course of antibiotics from the vet. I will usually prescribe at least 3 weeks of antibiotics. If it has been there for a while then some dogs need 4-8 weeks of medication.

Many dogs can be allergic to grass. However, we usually see mostly itchiness on their feet and ears.

Has Hobbs seen a doctor yet? If not, then it's definitely a good idea!

I'm heading offline in the next few minutes, so if you have more concerns, if I miss you I will check in in the morning.

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (49863 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (19009 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (9073 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (10286 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (12158 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (5155 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (13070 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (41080 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (8144 views)

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (24186 views)