Vaginal bleeding in cat.

Breed: siamese
my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with cleaning it and she cannot sit, is it normal?

No, this is definitely not normal. Animal vaginal bleeding in an cat is unusual. While cats do go into heat, they don't tend to bleed like dogs do. (They bleed tiny amounts but clean it so fast that we barely notice.)

There are a few possibilities for what is going on. A uterine infection called pyometra is possible. This is more common in cats a little older than Mishka, but I have seen it in young cats as well. This is a life threatening condition.

A urinary tract infection could possibly do this, although we don't usually see that degree of bleeding.

A bleeding disorder could cause this but shouldn't cause discomfort.

It's also possible she has an infection in her anal gland which is near the vulva, but perhaps the bleeding is coming from there instead.

Or it's possible that she has suffered a wound such as a bite from another animal.

In any case, she needs to be seen by a vet immediately.

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (7017 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (19173 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (17497 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (10931 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (8908 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19279 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (10844 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (21692 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22177 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8811 views)