Infection after cherry eye surgery?

Breed: Lhasa Apso
Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I followed oinment/moisture drops therapy for 4 weeks. He has been l waking up with green goo in this same eye since pretty much right after surgery; I expected it to go away. Cherry eye seems perfect, but his eye constantly needs to be wiped clean 2-3 times per day. Sometimes the goo is whiter, sometimes more greenish, locating at the corner, bottom or ON his eyeball sometimes. If it's kinda green doesn't that mean it's infected? After the $1000 surgery (teeth done as well) I really don't want to go back to vet this soon - can I get something OTC or online? Thanks!!
Terry

Hmmm...it is definitely not normal to have green goo in the eye three times a day for 3 months following cherry eye surgery. You're right...if there is a green color then there is likely some infection. Sometimes, if it is just a little gunky, but not green it can mean that there is some irritation in the eye.

I can think of a few possibilities for what is going on.

First of all, it's possible that there is a very mild infection there. If this is the case then yes, he will need antibiotics prescribed by the vet and unfortunately they will not be able to prescribe them without seeing him. There really isn't any point in using an over the counter product like neosporin/polysporin eye drops because they are usually not strong enough to properly deal with an eye infection.

Was the ointment that he was on for 4 weeks an antibiotic or just a lubricant? If it was an antibiotic and he still has a green discharge then I'm a bit concerned that he could have an infection that is resistant to some antibiotics. This is usually not a huge deal, but it would mean that the vet would have to do a culture test where they send away a sample to the lab to find out what is growing there and what antibiotics will be effective against the infection.

Another possibility is if there is some irritation in the eye. There are many different ways to repair a cherry eye but it is possible that there is a tiny piece of suture that is constantly irritating the eye. If this is what is happening then the vet will need to anesthetize Chewy again and remove the suture.

Another possibility is something called dry eye (also known as KCS). This is a condition where the tear production in the eye is not working properly. Dogs with dry eye usually have what is called a mucoid discharge. It is not usually green though but rather a gunky light tan color. I can't say that I have heard of dry eye as a complication of cherry eye surgery. However, if this was my case then I would likely be doing a very quick test on his tear production. Dry eye is treated with medication but it can be a lifelong treatment.

Hopefully this is just a simple infection. I can understand your reluctance to spend more money at the vet's but I think that he does need to be seen again. I hope everything is ok!

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (48304 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (21960 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (6390 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (9920 views)

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (37064 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (30568 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11725 views)

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (5496 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (8183 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (9130 views)