Infection after cherry eye surgery?

Breed: Lhasa Apso
Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I followed oinment/moisture drops therapy for 4 weeks. He has been l waking up with green goo in this same eye since pretty much right after surgery; I expected it to go away. Cherry eye seems perfect, but his eye constantly needs to be wiped clean 2-3 times per day. Sometimes the goo is whiter, sometimes more greenish, locating at the corner, bottom or ON his eyeball sometimes. If it's kinda green doesn't that mean it's infected? After the $1000 surgery (teeth done as well) I really don't want to go back to vet this soon - can I get something OTC or online? Thanks!!
Terry

Hmmm...it is definitely not normal to have green goo in the eye three times a day for 3 months following cherry eye surgery. You're right...if there is a green color then there is likely some infection. Sometimes, if it is just a little gunky, but not green it can mean that there is some irritation in the eye.

I can think of a few possibilities for what is going on.

First of all, it's possible that there is a very mild infection there. If this is the case then yes, he will need antibiotics prescribed by the vet and unfortunately they will not be able to prescribe them without seeing him. There really isn't any point in using an over the counter product like neosporin/polysporin eye drops because they are usually not strong enough to properly deal with an eye infection.

Was the ointment that he was on for 4 weeks an antibiotic or just a lubricant? If it was an antibiotic and he still has a green discharge then I'm a bit concerned that he could have an infection that is resistant to some antibiotics. This is usually not a huge deal, but it would mean that the vet would have to do a culture test where they send away a sample to the lab to find out what is growing there and what antibiotics will be effective against the infection.

Another possibility is if there is some irritation in the eye. There are many different ways to repair a cherry eye but it is possible that there is a tiny piece of suture that is constantly irritating the eye. If this is what is happening then the vet will need to anesthetize Chewy again and remove the suture.

Another possibility is something called dry eye (also known as KCS). This is a condition where the tear production in the eye is not working properly. Dogs with dry eye usually have what is called a mucoid discharge. It is not usually green though but rather a gunky light tan color. I can't say that I have heard of dry eye as a complication of cherry eye surgery. However, if this was my case then I would likely be doing a very quick test on his tear production. Dry eye is treated with medication but it can be a lifelong treatment.

Hopefully this is just a simple infection. I can understand your reluctance to spend more money at the vet's but I think that he does need to be seen again. I hope everything is ok!

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (7028 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (8507 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (16282 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (6012 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (4593 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (8023 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (23578 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (13680 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (4182 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (12675 views)