Infection after cherry eye surgery?

Breed: Lhasa Apso
Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I followed oinment/moisture drops therapy for 4 weeks. He has been l waking up with green goo in this same eye since pretty much right after surgery; I expected it to go away. Cherry eye seems perfect, but his eye constantly needs to be wiped clean 2-3 times per day. Sometimes the goo is whiter, sometimes more greenish, locating at the corner, bottom or ON his eyeball sometimes. If it's kinda green doesn't that mean it's infected? After the $1000 surgery (teeth done as well) I really don't want to go back to vet this soon - can I get something OTC or online? Thanks!!
Terry

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Hmmm...it is definitely not normal to have green goo in the eye three times a day for 3 months following cherry eye surgery. You're right...if there is a green color then there is likely some infection. Sometimes, if it is just a little gunky, but not green it can mean that there is some irritation in the eye.

I can think of a few possibilities for what is going on.

First of all, it's possible that there is a very mild infection there. If this is the case then yes, he will need antibiotics prescribed by the vet and unfortunately they will not be able to prescribe them without seeing him. There really isn't any point in using an over the counter product like neosporin/polysporin eye drops because they are usually not strong enough to properly deal with an eye infection.

Was the ointment that he was on for 4 weeks an antibiotic or just a lubricant? If it was an antibiotic and he still has a green discharge then I'm a bit concerned that he could have an infection that is resistant to some antibiotics. This is usually not a huge deal, but it would mean that the vet would have to do a culture test where they send away a sample to the lab to find out what is growing there and what antibiotics will be effective against the infection.

Another possibility is if there is some irritation in the eye. There are many different ways to repair a cherry eye but it is possible that there is a tiny piece of suture that is constantly irritating the eye. If this is what is happening then the vet will need to anesthetize Chewy again and remove the suture.

Another possibility is something called dry eye (also known as KCS). This is a condition where the tear production in the eye is not working properly. Dogs with dry eye usually have what is called a mucoid discharge. It is not usually green though but rather a gunky light tan color. I can't say that I have heard of dry eye as a complication of cherry eye surgery. However, if this was my case then I would likely be doing a very quick test on his tear production. Dry eye is treated with medication but it can be a lifelong treatment.

Hopefully this is just a simple infection. I can understand your reluctance to spend more money at the vet's but I think that he does need to be seen again. I hope everything is ok!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (20614 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (18684 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (12153 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (3341 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (6078 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (6335 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (4848 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (176972 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (5053 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (5537 views)