Older cat missing litter box.

Breed: domestic
My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor outside the box. Any ideas what is going on? I have not changed liter, I did get a biger box but that is not helping.
I need some advice............

There are a number of things that can cause an older cat to not urinate in the box.

I always recommend having a vet check his urine just to be sure there is no medical problem.

However, the fact that he is standing in the box and urinating outside of the box makes me wonder if he is having issues with arthritis. It is quite common for an older cat to get something called lumbosacral syndrome. This causes pain at the end of the spine (just before the tail). Cats that have this kind of pain don't want to squat to urinate because it hurts. So, they often pee standing straight up and the urine ends up going outside of the box.

While we do have some medications that can help with arthritis in cats they do come with some risks, especially in older cats. There is no over the counter medicine that is safe for cats with arthritis.

You may want to try using a covered litter box. This way, if the urine is sprayed out sideways it will just hit the wall.

And, I would definitely recommend a vet visit.

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (23018 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (63437 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (37238 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (10661 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (25030 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8202 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (65742 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (22487 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (9105 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (18741 views)