Older cat missing litter box.

Breed: domestic
My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor outside the box. Any ideas what is going on? I have not changed liter, I did get a biger box but that is not helping.
I need some advice............

There are a number of things that can cause an older cat to not urinate in the box.

I always recommend having a vet check his urine just to be sure there is no medical problem.

However, the fact that he is standing in the box and urinating outside of the box makes me wonder if he is having issues with arthritis. It is quite common for an older cat to get something called lumbosacral syndrome. This causes pain at the end of the spine (just before the tail). Cats that have this kind of pain don't want to squat to urinate because it hurts. So, they often pee standing straight up and the urine ends up going outside of the box.

While we do have some medications that can help with arthritis in cats they do come with some risks, especially in older cats. There is no over the counter medicine that is safe for cats with arthritis.

You may want to try using a covered litter box. This way, if the urine is sprayed out sideways it will just hit the wall.

And, I would definitely recommend a vet visit.

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (34850 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (24299 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (16335 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (15211 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (11339 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (10745 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (11337 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (21488 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (64161 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (12441 views)