Older cat missing litter box.

Breed: domestic
My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor outside the box. Any ideas what is going on? I have not changed liter, I did get a biger box but that is not helping.
I need some advice............

There are a number of things that can cause an older cat to not urinate in the box.

I always recommend having a vet check his urine just to be sure there is no medical problem.

However, the fact that he is standing in the box and urinating outside of the box makes me wonder if he is having issues with arthritis. It is quite common for an older cat to get something called lumbosacral syndrome. This causes pain at the end of the spine (just before the tail). Cats that have this kind of pain don't want to squat to urinate because it hurts. So, they often pee standing straight up and the urine ends up going outside of the box.

While we do have some medications that can help with arthritis in cats they do come with some risks, especially in older cats. There is no over the counter medicine that is safe for cats with arthritis.

You may want to try using a covered litter box. This way, if the urine is sprayed out sideways it will just hit the wall.

And, I would definitely recommend a vet visit.

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (8867 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (8382 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (51028 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (9719 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (11425 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (10760 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (37079 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (31474 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (11411 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (9221 views)