Older cat missing litter box.

Breed: domestic
My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor outside the box. Any ideas what is going on? I have not changed liter, I did get a biger box but that is not helping.
I need some advice............

There are a number of things that can cause an older cat to not urinate in the box.

I always recommend having a vet check his urine just to be sure there is no medical problem.

However, the fact that he is standing in the box and urinating outside of the box makes me wonder if he is having issues with arthritis. It is quite common for an older cat to get something called lumbosacral syndrome. This causes pain at the end of the spine (just before the tail). Cats that have this kind of pain don't want to squat to urinate because it hurts. So, they often pee standing straight up and the urine ends up going outside of the box.

While we do have some medications that can help with arthritis in cats they do come with some risks, especially in older cats. There is no over the counter medicine that is safe for cats with arthritis.

You may want to try using a covered litter box. This way, if the urine is sprayed out sideways it will just hit the wall.

And, I would definitely recommend a vet visit.

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (16360 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (48180 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (6453 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (16473 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (67050 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (14799 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (10983 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (10253 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (9289 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (12679 views)