Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Why did my cat die?

Species: Cat
Breed: brown tabby
Age: 5-8 years
my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when nedded it only took four days for him to become so ill called in a vet who said he was dying and gave him a shot to put him down. How can a cat be healthy one day and deadly sick in four. There was some raid sprayed for flies and I just know remember that. Could that have poisened my cat???

Thank you Lillian


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am sorry to hear that your cat passed away.

There are unfortunately a number of things that could cause these symptoms but no one will be able to say for sure without doing a post mortem exam.

It is extremely unlikely that the raid did any damage.

There are some things that are toxic to a cat's kidneys that could cause these symptoms including antifreeze or certain plants such as Easter Lilies.

It's also possible that he had a virus such as feline leukemia or FIV.

There are a great number of other possibilities including ingestion of a foreign object, a serious infection from a cat bite or scratch, a blood parasite as a result of fleas and many more.

I'm sorry that I don't have an answer for you. I'm also so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (26971 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (18651 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11532 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (11213 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (12684 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (17996 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (7954 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (8670 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (14750 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (15125 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.